Shopping your own wardrobe and/or really sticking to a budget?

I'm hoping this will help me budget. I'm trying to implement buying fewer, nicer things that are consciously made and supplementing with thrifted/vintage. I'm pretty excited about the vintage jeans I bought for $4 that I am working on ripping the hem out to make them cropped flares :heart:.
would you mind sharing when you do? I love DIY!
I guess that I'm a bit smitten with cropped flares right now. I am reposting these from the Celebrity Street Style thread, with credit for the pics given to @Lounorada.
View attachment 3499414
View attachment 3499415
Emma Roberts.
I heart her - LOVE scream queens - her outbursts are amazing lol

Reactions: Mimmy
Good for you, Marylin! I wish I could say the same. I recently ordered a jacket from Loft that I have been eyeing (it was 50% off...how could I not?) and a pair of olive moto leggings from Nordstrom. Although my NSD plan/shopping ban that I instituted from October 5 to the end of the month does not have a 100% success rate, I think it has helped me cut down on the impulse buying and has helped me be more discerning. So that's a start, right??

I think it's great to make a conscious decision about what to buy. I was never into shopping bans or no shopping months. They just happen and it must be for a reason. I wouldn't ever hold back on a great sale find like yours, just out of a stubborn rule I set myself about not shopping. So whatever you do, it seems to work.
Would love to see the jacket you got.

Great restraint, Marylin! It's probably because you have so many lovely things already. [emoji173]️ I suspect something will find you soon though!

I have bought a few things; nothing very expensive though. [emoji3]

I became lazy last month and just used my MJ hobo until today. It's such a carefree bag! I am going to start rotating through my other bags though, as I would like to buy another bag fairly soon. If I don't use the ones I have already though, it's hard for me to justify buying a new one! [emoji848]

Maybe we should start a bag challenge again?

@ampavlinac It's funny that you mentioned cropped flares, as I wore mine for the first time today.
View attachment 3499278
I bought mine, but I think creating your own is a great idea. I am short so these are a bit long on me. They have a raw edge, so I could just cut them some more. I actually liked the longer length, so I am going to wear them a bit before making my final decision.

I love this outfit! Didn't think cropped flares could look good. But I'm rethinking now.

I'm hoping this will help me budget. I'm trying to implement buying fewer, nicer things that are consciously made and supplementing with thrifted/vintage. I'm pretty excited about the vintage jeans I bought for $4 that I am working on ripping the hem out to make them cropped flares :heart:.

Welcome! Putting just a bit of thought into our purchases has helped all of spend less, I think. So you took the first step. And you're creative, so I can see lots of great outfits with lots of inexpensive clothes already!

I think it's great to make a conscious decision about what to buy. I was never into shopping bans or no shopping months. They just happen and it must be for a reason. I wouldn't ever hold back on a great sale find like yours, just out of a stubborn rule I set myself about not shopping. So whatever you do, it seems to work.

Maybe we should start a bag challenge again?

I love this outfit! Didn't think cropped flares could look good. But I'm rethinking now.

Thanks, Marylin! I am in, if we do a bag challenge![emoji1360]

Will definitely post when it arrives!

[/ATTACH]
Thanks, Marylin! I am in, if we do a bag challenge![emoji1360]
Ok then, let's try!
I personally am fine with the few bags I've got, but of course there's still the blue Chanel that got away and I'm still looking for a replacement.
So what about we give ourselves 4 weeks to wear as many bags as possible. Who knows, maybe there are still a few hidden gems in our wardrobes we've forgotten about, or we might have gotten new coats or shoes to match the bags we didn't know how to wear.
I was thinking 2 weeks, but that's only also 2 weekends, so clutches and little bags don't get many chances.
Anybody else in?
I'll start with this one that I've worn less than 20 times since I got it, even though I do like it. I just sometimes forget about it. (Sorry, can't get rid of the second picture)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: eggtartapproved
@Marylin, great bag to start with!
I started the challenge last night somewhat unintentionally. We went to a very casual party at our neighbor's house. I just needed my phone, house keys and a couple of essentials.
IMG_1477229436.962336.jpg
I usually find this CH wristlet a bit small to be useful, but last night it was perfect for the essentials. The best part was that I did hang it on my wrist when I was getting my food.

I was going to sell this, but I am glad that I delayed, because I am going to keep it now!

Last edited:
Reactions: eggtartapproved
Up next, my H Picotin Lock. I think that in my own head I was saving this bag for Fall for some reason. [emoji260] I have used it a handful of times since I got it, and have found it easy to wear. Since it is Fall, I wore it two days ago, and still have it packed and ready to go today! The main downside to this bag is that with the fairly open top, I would not carry it anywhere that security is an issue.
IMG_1477230171.353186.jpg

Up next, my H Picotin Lock. I think that in my own head I was saving this bag for Fall for some reason. [emoji260] I have used it a handful of times since I got it, and have found it easy to wear. Since it is Fall, I wore it two days ago, and still have it packed and ready to go today! The main downside to this bag is that with the fairly open top, I would not carry it anywhere that security is an issue.
View attachment 3500830
Booth bags are great. Love the picotin! Couldn't you put n inset into it that can be tied shut, to keep your valuables safe?

Booth bags are great. Love the picotin! Couldn't you put n inset into it that can be tied shut, to keep your valuables safe?

Thanks, Marylin! I do have a bag insert in it, but it doesn't have any type of closure. I have other bags with secure closures, so I think that I'll just carry this bag as is. [emoji6]

would you mind sharing when you do? I love DIY!
Here was my first attempt! So they were actually $6.99 when I took off the tag haha, and more of a cropped high waisted wide leg, I suppose. Please pardon my apartment's ancient mirror and the kitty photo bomb :smile:.

EDA I just ordered >these< shoes and I think they will look good with crops!

Attachments

• 1unnamed.jpg
    1unnamed.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 206
  • unnamed-1 (1).jpg
    unnamed-1 (1).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 197