Shopping for an engagement ring...t&co, cartier, vera????!

I unfortunately do not have tons to add here, but go with what you love- if your heart is set on a certain designer, then go ahead and do that!!! You will probably start to get the feeling of the 'perfect ring for you' as you go try some on etc!!!! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

When I was looking for my ring, I did not want to go designer, because I was convinced by pricescope.com that all the brandname ones like Tiffany's and Cartier are just there to rip people off. I was brainwashed in thinking I can get just the same setting and bigger stone outside...they even recommend where you can get Tiffany/Cartier-inspired settings that they claim is just the same, if not better. I went shopping for rings...about a 4 month process...looked almost EVERYWHERE, from Zales in the mall to Harry Winston when I was in Vegas, also looked at soooo many sites online, but I have yet to find settings that can compare to the QUALITY that Tiffanys/Cartier/Harry Winston makes. No matter how close they say they can make it to be, you will be able to see the difference. It's really the workmanship that you're paying for.

Of course, you can go custom, like Leon Mage, and Mark Morell, their rings looks really nice and good quality, but I don't think they are any cheaper than the designer ones.

So, my only advice is, don't get persuaded by other people that designer is better or not better, keep an open mind, look closely, pay attention to the details of the settings, try it on your hands, and then decide. If you can't take your mind off a ring all week after you've tried it on, that means it is the one! I thought I liked the design of the Lucida, but it just didn't look good on my hands, so I decided against it. I never thought I want something like the Cartier 1895, but in the end,that was the ring I kept thinking about day and night...so really, keep an open mind!

hahaha. yea, my heart is fickle though when it comes to jewelry! I WANT IT ALL! hahaha.

I'm going to downtown LA today to look at diamonds. I sorta want a custom made, 1.5 carat cushion cut with antique pave eternity band. i think that will look GORGEOUS. otherwise, i guess i'll SETTLE for a tiffany! haha.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you SO MUCH again for all the advice. it really has HELPED TREMENDOUSLY!!!!

gingerfarm....yes craftmanship is the KEY. I tried on a ring from a small jeweler and the craftmanship was AMAZING. comparable to Tiffany but then again, it was expensive like a tiffany too!

I hate the "tiffany settings" people have out there because it is often UGLY and poorly made.

Wow, so much dogging on the brand name rings...and from us? Aren't we the gals that throw down hundreds of bucks on a brand bag? Seriously guys, UNTIL I got my Tiffany's ring, I NEVER brought brand ANYTHING. I was always the bargain bin girl and then I thought...why? If we can afford it, I want the brand (marketing schmarketing). I want the myth, I want the history.

So please don't dog Tiffany's or Cartier. It makes my skin clench, I get really upset about it...like I'm being called a moron for being "suckered" into buying a box (and maybe I am) but, those boxes always put a smile on my face. When I'm sad, when I've had a bad day, when I just look down at my hands...smile. And if that makes me a sucker...okay. But don't throw it up at me all the time. Let me be a quiet sucker.

Sorry to rant but, every single time I read a thread on rings, there's always the bit about buying a box and then I feel stupid. and can't even look at tPF for awhile.

Must go get coffee and calm down...which wouldn't make sense normally but, does to me :smile:

Oh dear, I didn't mean to offend anyone on this thread, that definitely wasn't my intent. And I definitely don't think you or anyone else is a moron for their purchases -- no matter what they are!

We all spend our money differently, and we all have our limits for what we think is acceptable budget-wise and what isn't worth it. As far as handbags go, I still haven't gone over the $1K threshold -- but maybe someday I will!

For me specifically, paying for a name-brand diamond wasn't worth it. But my husband and I spent a lot of time doing research and learning about diamonds before we bought, so we felt confident going through other channels. Some people don't want to do this, and they know they will get a high quality stone from Tiffany and other high end stores. The Tiffany name pretty much guarantees this (and other high end names too).

Please don't feel stupid about your purchases. We all spend our money on different things, and those differences are what makes the community here on this forum. I don't think it was anyone's intent, including mine, to make anyone feel bad, we just wanted to all voice our opinions.

You may want to look at a designer named Jack Kelege. Gorgeous work, and well respected throughout the jewelry industry (at least that is what I've heard). Not cheap though - but definately in your budget! You can buy the setting from one retailer, and the stone from another. You send it to him so he actually sets the stone for you himself.

I was also looking at Tiffany rings, which of course I also loved. Tiffany will not sell you the setting alone, you must also buy the diamond from them - they may even be pre-set, I'm not sure.

I ended up liking one from the Jack Kelege collection better, so did my (now) husband. The weird thing is that it is nothing like what I thought I originally wanted - I'm so glad I looked around. I get compliments on it all the time, if that tells you anything.

Congratulations and happy shopping!

oooh, jack kelege's designs are so pretty and grand! there's one that reminds of me the tiffany legacy. wow, i like the clean lines of the stuart moore designs.

for those of you out there who have gotten a loose diamond. is it a good idea to go to downtown LA jewelry district for that? Or go through a diamond broker? THANKS!

Didi - please keep looking & asking questions.
I'm talking about the stones being overpriced at Tiffany etc. I think their settings are competitively pricd.
I got my stone through a highly regarded diamond broker. He flew in several GIA stones with my standards & I flew there to look at them. You can have several stones with the exactly same c's & one might have more eye appeal which you will only notice after seeing them together. He let me come in over several days & spend time with the stones. Taking them outside & in different lights.
He called last year & offered to buy my stone back. I know from the insurance we have on it has doubled in value, they do the appraisal. I have no desire to sell it, its the "forever" size & quality for me. DH & I are older so he told me get whatever you want & I don't want to hear about upgrades.

Oh dear, I didn't mean to offend anyone on this thread, that definitely wasn't my intent. And I definitely don't think you or anyone else is a moron for their purchases -- no matter what they are!

We all spend our money differently, and we all have our limits for what we think is acceptable budget-wise and what isn't worth it. As far as handbags go, I still haven't gone over the $1K threshold -- but maybe someday I will!

For me specifically, paying for a name-brand diamond wasn't worth it. But my husband and I spent a lot of time doing research and learning about diamonds before we bought, so we felt confident going through other channels. Some people don't want to do this, and they know they will get a high quality stone from Tiffany and other high end stores. The Tiffany name pretty much guarantees this (and other high end names too).

Please don't feel stupid about your purchases. We all spend our money on different things, and those differences are what makes the community here on this forum. I don't think it was anyone's intent, including mine, to make anyone feel bad, we just wanted to all voice our opinions.

Excellent advice!

Thanks! Sorry to go all "ranty" and I appreciate your very kind words! I too have not passed that 1K threshold--I came close once and got all shake-y and had to sit down!

And as long as a lady is happy with her purchases, it doesn't matter where they come from! I'm not going to hold up my hand and sniff at someone who didn't buy from Tiffany's!;) And it IS good to ask for opinions and advice when looking for rings. There is just sooooo much info out there to digest!

Thanks again for writing and making me feel NOT silly!

There is also Michael B for designer engagement rings, but his are done in platinum. I have his wedding set, I've always wanted this set ever since I saw it in In Style years ago and thankfully my husband could afford it. And I love my rings but I bought my diamond elsewhere after doing research and going to GoodOldGold and viewing diamonds with Jonathan and choosing the one I wanted and they shipped it to Michael B and he made my set.

I would get what you like, and not worry about reselling it because you won't recoup the cost anyways.

Hang out on pricescope and learn about diamonds.

Michael B. Ring - This petite platinum 3-sided princess pave ring with diamond prongs and tips is designed by Michael B. This elegant ring is set with 171 diamonds at 1.20cts. and is 2.2mm wide. Center diamond not included.

Actually perlmans is a great place for settings too. Leon Mege has done beautiful custom work from what I've seen.

My only recommendation is do some research. I was in Cartier last week and looked at a ring I think Nick Cages wife wears and it was pretty and I guess if you want a specific style and thats what you can afford then go for it. I am personally more conserned about craftmanship, quality of diamonds and knowing I can always go back to my jeweler for anything and with my set I have a lifetime warranty which is needed when you own a pave set.