Shopping Bans: Do they work and how do you do it?

1. I am on a shopping ban. Not sure if I will be able to keep it up. How do you ladies do it? Do they really work? Or does the deprivation of a few months end in a binge larger than life? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  2. I don't know, mine only work because I'm really saving for the next bag rather than buying a less expensive bag or other item I don't really need.
  3. That is a good suggestion. Just not buying to buy something later sounds like a great way to prevent the post ban binge, don't you think?

4. Mine works for the most part. It's all because of my meanie bf though :p He tells me no and I obey for the most part :wtf:
  5. i just got a very, very expensive bag and dh and i talked about it and i think it's only fair to not get a bag for a year (unless i sell some of my koobas, etc, on eBay)...i feel like our marriage is built on trust and i'd like to follow through on having made the commitment...all that being said? i'll probably call my doctor for an anti anxiety prescription for not buying a bag for a year!!!!
  6. I just realized after reading this post that SHOPPING IS MY DRUG OF CHOICE!!!! YIKES!!!!:shocked::shame::wtf:
  7. I am having a really hard time with my shopping ban. These great sales are killing me. I feel like the only way to make it work is to put the blinders on...try not to come onto this site (sigh...), stop looking at Saks online, and keep busy with other stuff. But I do understand what Cgspings is saying. It's such a nice feeling to get a lovely new purse.

Anyway, I am on a spending moratorium on ANYTHING (clothes, shoes, bags, etc) until the beginning of October. It's only the end of June, and I'm already sweating it! :sweatdrop:

Can someone tell me what DH means? Dear hubby?!
  8. Ooooh my shopping ban is not going so well either! I'm going on a mini-vacation and I NEED new facial sunscreen, so I had to go to the mall... and every store had a giant "75% OFF" sign! It was awful! I also ended up buying a cute little pair of ballet flats at american eagle- I couldn't resist, they were only $15! I guess I've been good other than that. Lately. haha
  9. The only way to have a successful shopping ban is to stay off the internet and out of the stores! Actually, where I live, the shopping is so limited that the merchandise in the stores does not tempt me one bit.
  10. I am single and live with my parents and I work full time and go to school full time , If I want t buy a purse I buy one , I am never on a ban , I do however go about 4-7 months in between purchases and even them it is rarely a spur of the moment thing , I am sure as soon as I would put my self on a ban I would find my holy grail purse on sale for $5
  11. I am currently banned because I know I really don't have the money to be buying any one expensive thing every month (or week, if I had my way). It's just a way to keep me focused on reality, not the excitement of finding something super on sale. That being said, if any one of the things I am *really* looking for happened to be having a one-of-a-kind-never-to-be seen-again sale, I would break the ban to have it. There is only one thing that I am currently yearning for, so I should be ok until 2008...
  12. sigh... it will have to work, now, because i'm out of money after all the great sales and my c.c. is too high for my comfort level... so day #1 of my shopping ban starts today.

i am hoping to live vicariously through the other ladies here. :yes:
  13. Out of sight, out of mind...
  14. They don't really work for me. But I don't shop impulsively, I make sure I really want it and sometimes will sell one to make room.
  15. I was on a rather successful one until I found this forum and the Deals & Steals section. Now, 2 months and many credit card charges later, I'm on another until I can replenish my shopping fund.