Shipping boxes/recipts back home while you are on vacation

1. I tried to search this but couldn't find anything relevant so please feel free to tell me if its already been discussed or if I'm breaking any rules! Still trying to get used to tpf!

Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone has had experiences with shipping their boxes and receipts back home while they are on vacation? I'm from Canada and will be in Las Vegas soon and I plan on making use of our great Canadian exchange the the moment! Since my trip is only for a few days, I can only bring back $400 CAD and anything else I would have to pay my provincial sales tax for. I don't mine paying the sales tax because its only 6% but what I'm worried about is the various customs duties which is based on where it was made. I haven't been able to find any information on the specific rates of custom duties so I figure it would be easier to just send the box/receipt back and carry the things I buy as my own? I know this is kinda silly but I am probably going to be buying Hermes and I just don't wanna part with the lovely orange boxes!

Sooo .. has anyone done this before? Any tips or pointers? I've been told to put a small item in the box and declare it as a gift and mail the receipt by letter mail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!