Shining Monkey Fabric Protector Ruined my Finish :'(

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I've always just carried bags as they are without spraying and have yet to have to clean one of them. Is it necessary to spray them? I've always wondered.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I've always just carried bags as they are without spraying and have yet to have to clean one of them. Is it necessary to spray them? I've always wondered.

I think Coach bags come pre-treated. I spray my lighter color bags, and things like sparkle leather. I use the Apple spray, though. It also works great on my UGGs and Toms. :biggrin:

I've never used Shining Monkey but I know I'm always leary of spraying patent with anything. It does however seem that it ruined more then your patent leather trim so that's an after thought. I've read about it here on TpF but don't remember the details. It seems that my Apple leather conditioner said it can be used on patent. Maybe if you did this over and over you could make the splatter marks disappear. I'LL DOUBLE CHECK SO DON'T DO IT TIL' I RE-POST. It can be ordered at leatherstuff.com.

I'll BRB.

PS~ My outlet SA once told me to spray all my fabric/ sateen or signature bags with commercial grade stainguard. I have sprayed my Lg. khaki signature Carly when I owned her and I did notice she darkened a bit but lightened up after a few days. Must have just been the moisture from the spray. I mainly focused on the bottom and sides and used care NOT TO get it (or any significant amount) on the leather.

<----------------checking her Apple leather conditioner bottle for patent info!!!

I have apple conditioner and I am going to use it on the patent I have used it on the metallic tag and no change I don't think there is any help for the tag and the front of the tag looks the same way. It is completely dull. And the metallic thread just looks kind of like a lighter gray thread outlining the c's with a few sparkles here and there.

I would think about contacting Shining Monkey and sending them pictures to see if they have a policy about such things. I've never used the product so I dunno...it just sounds like they weren't specific enough about what not to use it on?

I emailed them. I will let everyone know what they say.

thank you. I am going to try the apple conditioner on the patent. I tried it on the metallic tag and there is no fixing it. But I am still hoping on the patent. Thank you for posting what the bottle says :smile:

...bu the way I'm soooo sorry your having thiss bad experience!!!

The back of my Apple bottle:

"Apple Brand leather care is specially formulated to gently clean, condition, and preserve finished, exotic, and simulated leathers. It's wax-free formulation removes surface dirt amd provides water resistance. It enhances the natural luster of leather without masking its unique qualities. Safe for all colors."

It does NOT mention patent one way or the other BUT does say:

"IMPORTANT! DO NOT USE ON SUEDE, NUBUCK OR NAPPED LEATHERS."

^^^ I would HOPE that if you were NOT suppossed to use it on Patent that it would mention it with the above mentioned!!!

***PROCEED at your own RISK*** <--------------LOL

It ALL depends on if you think it can get much worse OR if you feel like you don't have alot left to loose.

IF I owned the bag I'd rub the crap out of the patent handles and trim with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (original) and then try the Apple. THIS IS JUST AN OPINION!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck, if anyone can help you it'll be this group of gal's!!!

Best of luck!!! Maybe we can atleast get her back to being suitable for casual carry!!! Let us know how you fair!!

thank you. I am going to try the apple conditioner on the patent. I tried it on the metallic tag and there is no fixing it. But I am still hoping on the patent. Thank you for posting what the bottle says :smile:

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm not sure I have ever heard of that brand before.

This is why I only use Apple Guarde spray (not the conditioner)on my suede, shimmer, and other delicate fabric bags. It's never caused any issues with any of my "delicate" bags which include vachetta, fabric, shimmer leather, and suede.

Thank you. I don't know if its necessary to spray them, I just wanted it to stay as clean as possible. I should have just left it alone...

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm not sure I have ever heard of that brand before.

This is why I only use Apple Guarde spray (not the conditioner)on my suede, shimmer, and other delicate fabric bags. It's never caused any issues with any of my "delicate" bags which include vachetta, fabric, shimmer leather, and suede.

Thank you. I will use Apple from now on too.

I'm so sorry that happened to your bag, cozyc. I'm glad you emailed Shining Monkey. If they're going to advertise that it's a fabric protector AND great for purses, it certainly shouldn't have caused that sort of damage. I hope they do something to make this right for you!

What a bummer! Hope your able to figure something out.

Lesson I am seeing learned from your bad experience is that if I ever try a protector/cleaner of some sort on my handbags (never have), I will be sure to try them first in a small amount in a inconspicious place to assess any potential damages or bad reactions.

What a bummer! Hope your able to figure something out.

Lesson I am seeing learned from your bad experience is that if I ever try a protector/cleaner of some sort on my handbags (never have), I will be sure to try them first in a small amount in a inconspicious place to assess any potential damages or bad reactions.

I did try it on the silky dust bag that come with it and on the bottom of the bag first and didn't see anything at all. Never dreamed it would cause a problem. But yes learn from me that way you don't have to go through this.

Thank you. They emailed me back and asked for pictures of the bag, pictures of the receipt and the code on the can.

I'm so sorry that happened to your bag, cozyc. I'm glad you emailed Shining Monkey. If they're going to advertise that it's a fabric protector AND great for purses, it certainly shouldn't have caused that sort of damage. I hope they do something to make this right for you!