Sharon Osbourne Makes Plans To Remove Gastric Band !

1. [​IMG]

NEW YORK - Sharon Osbourne says she plans to remove a gastric band that helped her lose 125 pounds and instead rely on psychotherapy to cope with her weight issues.

"I have to figure out why I do what I do to myself," the 54-year-old wife/manager of rocker Ozzy Osbourne says in an interview in People magazine's Oct. 30 issue. "I think I have some sort of self-destruction button."
    Osbourne, who has written a memoir, "Sharon Osbourne Extreme," had surgery for the gastric band in 1999 and plans to shed it in December (when she returns to the U.S. from Britain), she says. She packed on 15 pounds this year "from overeating," she says, even though the band limits what she can digest.
    "I keep trying to eat more and more ... I'm a pig," says Osbourne, who has indulged in "chocolate, French fries and junk food" instead of sticking to the nutritious diet required of gastric-band patients.
    What happens when she eats too much? "You throw up...then you eat more," she says.
    Osbourne, who starred with her bizarre-yet-loving clan in MTV's "The Osbournes," is being cheered on by her three children: Aimee, 23, Kelly, 21, and Jack, 20.
    "My kids, their whole life, have seen me struggle with weight," she says. "They say, `Now you need to spend time on your head.'"
    ___

2. I hope for her sake she gets her eating habits on track or she'll be back where she started before the surgery. :sad:

3. LOVE Sharon and wish her well!!!

4. I love Sharon! and of course wish her luck.

5. I was 99% sure she had gastric bypass, not gastric lap banding...?

6. I hope she is able to solve all of her problems. :yes: This is why I think those types of weight loss surgeries are a waste of time and money. If you're not in the right mental place, you're just going to gain all of the weight back. I'm glad she's getting help before that happens.

7. She definitely had gastric banding ... I think she was the first person I'd ever heard of who had that procedure, & inspired me to get it done for myself.

I don't think she's telling the full story about what's going on. She is probably getting the band removed because she is having complications. I don't see how she *wouldn't* have complications with all the throwing up she's done over the years.

8. Well over time many studies are showing that patients of gastric surguries are having some troubles and wanting the precudure reversed. I think it is great that she wants to do this and learn to deal with her eating head on and try to learn to cop with her problems... best of luck to her

9. Yes, gastric bypass and and lapbands are effective way of losing weight. Problem is, having those things make it so you get nauseous if you eat too much.

How is someone supposed to get their (healthy) daily intake of calories if they get nauseous after eating a little bit of food?

10. I wish Sharon the best, and I hope she has enough willpower to not relapse into anything.

11. Not everyone gets nauseous. And the nausea is supposed to fade within the first few months - but for the average person, the nausea fades within the first few weeks. If you're having constant nausea after food it's most likely a sign of pouch shrinkage - and then you should talk to your surgeon about having a pouch dialation (which is a small procedure, done as an upper endoscopy). I think you're referring more to "dumping syndrome" - which is the nausea that happens after you eat sugar/fats/oil - and only about 50% of patients experience that.

By 6 months out of surgery you should be able to successfully maintain a diet of 1500 calories a day. I cannot, but most people in my support communities have no problem with it. The pouch can hold 6-10 ounces of food at a time, and if you eat the suggested 7 times a day you'd be surprised how quickly you can achieve the 1000 calorie mark.