Share your Diet secrets

1. I know diet and exercise is the key to weight loss. But I am hoping to find a secret food, pill, shake just whatever you may have found that help with weight loss. :rolleyes:
  2. Amber,

Sorry but there is no secret food, pill or shake that will take off the weight & keep it off. I tried the Slimfast shakes and it did nothing for me really.
  3. there's no food, pill, or shake. treating yourself correctly is the ONLY way to lose any real amount of weight and keep it off.

fruits, vegetables, lean protein, whole grains and water are the closest things to magic foods that you'll find, and they really do work. i've lost 35 pounds in the past year as a result.

and the best secret that i have to share is to throw out the food that tempts you, and don't buy more. don't wait until you've "eaten the last of it so it won't spoil," just get a trash bag, throw it all in, and put it in a dumpster behind a store somewhere where you can't get to it (we all remember the famous episode of sex and the city where miranda eats chocolate cake out of her trash because it was the last thing she threw in).

that's absolutely, positively the only way. diet pill and shake companies make billions of dollars a year by selling people false hope. sorry!
  4. I agree with amanda. I lost 25 pound on my last "diet". This time I'm changing the way I think about food & exercise because I gain it back once I was off the "diet".
  5. No secrets, but important points:
    1.Consistancy-stay with your meal program and exercise program, don't work out 5 days a week for a month and then nothing for 3 months, better to work out 3x weekly and stay with it. Same goes for eating.
    2. Planning. Yep, it's a pain in the arse, but cook a bunch of chicken and/or meat on Sunday and build your meals around that. Salads, etc.
    3. Think long term-this is a new lifestyle, not a 10 week fix
    4. Enlist support of family and friends. Encourage them to avoid asking you to go have pizza 3 nights per week.
    5. Get a sponser, just like AA, someone you can call and say "Arghh this sucks"
    Good luck.
  6. Oh C'mon ladies...I lost a ton of weight on a diet pill/6" veggie sub diet and got skinny skinny. lol I really did, but of course I'm kidding, because if you want to avoid heart palpitations, stay off the pills. I would never take them again. However the subway diet I would do again. hehe
    But to be honest, the only way for me is to go to bed hungry and excercise.
  7. Why do you go to bed hungry??
  8. I'm guessing because she doesn't eat late at night. And you definitely wouldn't want to do that since it takes a few hours (about 4) to digest.
  9. I agree with everyone who says there is no magic trick to losing weight. I just wish I had come to accept this before my weight go so out of hand. I do have some suggestions:

1. When it comes to losing weight and keeping it off, you have to change your lifestyle. This change has to be permanent. You can't go on a diet, lose weight, and just go back to the way you were eating before the diet. The weight will come back and then some if you do this. You have to commit yourself to living a healthy lifestyle for life.

2. Like Amanda said, go through your house and get rid of the junk food. You might think you can handle having it around "just in case someone comes to visit" or "for the kids", but you're just kidding yourself. If you're a compulsive overeater, you will be eating those cookies or chips if you keep them around.

3. Invest in a good quality scale with a large digital display and a dress maker's measuring tape. That way you can track the loss of pounds and inches. Being able to see your results is a good motivator. When you exercise, you will gain muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you won't see the number on the scale go down, but you will see that you've lost the inches.

4. Keep a positive attitude. When you stop loving yourself and giving yourself compliments, you stop caring and then you start overeating again.
  10. I know a guy who did that subway diet...he lost like 80 lbs or haven't seen him in awhile. I wonder if he was able to keep it off.....
  11. Thanks ladies. I know it's hard work, just still hoping for instant magic. I have let myself get way out of hand. Everyday I start off great, but by 5:00 pm I slip up and eat the wrong things and drink to much. I think I just need to set up an eating plan instead of just winging it everyday. I eat my kids junk and left overs and must stop.
    I mostly follow ww points, but I think I need to write down what I will eat each day. Any meal suggestions?

I am setting a goal of 10% weight loss and a new handbag of my choice!!!:yes:
  12. the best thing i can find for my diet, as far as tasting good and still being healthy, is turkey burgers. buy ground turkey (not the pre-formed turkey burgers), and form them into 1/4 pound patties. the patty should be 2 points. i've found small whole-wheat pitas by tofuyan that are 1 point each and they're the perfect size for a bun. a slice of whatever cheese you prefer is another 2 points, plus a teaspoon of honey mustard and an apple on the side, and you've got yourself a really tasty, filling lunch for 6 points.

odds are, if you're getting fat from eatting after your kids, then your kids are eventually going to get fat eatting that food, too. now is the time to change both your and their eatting habits!
  13. For me, I don't like to exercise (period). My only method of lossing weight is cutting back on carbs (bread, candy, rice, etc.....). After 2 months, I've lost 15 pounds without exercising. Well, with my big tummy from having 2 children, I do about 200 crunches a day, heehe. I've tried other diets, but it involves alot of number calculation, so doing the low car diet works better for me.

14. hmmmm, i do this 5 times a week.. it can vary.. but it goes something like:

eggwhites and oats in the morning
    protein bar
    grilled salmon and asparagus
    cottage cheesse and a banana
    ceasar salad

The key is to eat every 2.5 hours and no carbs after 7. I do this 5 times a week.. the other 2 days, i leave it to eat whatever the heck i want.

I also work out everyday.. but when your SO is a trainer, I guess that helps... LOL
  15. Amber,

Those sound like realistic goals and a nice reward! What helped me last time was to get one of those small calorie counter books and a notebook. Get yourself to write down everything you eat. Think about what you are going to eat, look at the calorie count and write it down before you eat it. I have 2 girls and its hard not clean up their plate. You just need to put it in the garbage instead of "finishing" for them.:smile: