Sex Drive and Birth Control

1. Hey Guys, I'm kind of new to this forum, but I'm jumping right in! I've been married a little over a year and a half. I was abstinent until marriage. I started birth control in like March. Ever since then, it seems like my sex drive has been pretty much nonexsistant until right before I start my period. I mean me and DH are newlyweds and we've went like 2 weeks without sex because I just don't even notice. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what, if anything, helped. Thanks in advance! I'd really like to get back to normal if you know what I mean :graucho:

2. I've been told that birth control will do that bc of the change in hormones... that being said, I do think that sometimes sex needs to be a conscious choice, meaning when you notice you "don't feel like it," you still make the effort. LOL And esp if you're newlyweds, just bc initially you don't feel the need, a li'l fooling around often helps that latent spark.

Also, get in some regular exercise.... preferably togther, but nothing too strenuous.... getting the blood flowing, and then maybe showering together to help it along... :graucho:

3. Hi and welcome!!!!!!

I would suggest stop taking the brand you are taking and try a new one. Sometimes different pills react better with out bodies. I can't tell you how many friends have been on a pill with horrible side affects and switched to another and the side effects went away. Maybe you should talk with your doc?

I hope you get this problem straighted out!!! :graucho:

4. Different types of BC can effect this. I had similar reactions w/ Yasmin when it first came out. I felt depressed & the drive was non-existent. I switched to a different brand & that helped out a LOT. Talk to your doc, like the above poster mentioned.. .and see if you can switch. gOod luck~!

5. I would consider talking to your doctor about a switch. There are tons of different BC formulations and not all of them will have this side effect. I've probably been on 5 (6?) total and I just found the best combination for my body. You could always suggest more foreplay :graucho: because, well, it never hurt anybody.

Good luck. I hope you get things sorted out.

6. Here here on the idea to talk to your doctor. Everybody's chemistry is different so some people will have side effects to bc that others won't.

It may take some experimenting but it's worth it to find BC that has minimal if any side effects for YOU (and DH too!)

In the meantime...great suggestions on showering together, massages, more foreplay...good luck!

7. Yes, unfortunately :sad: I used to be the one initiating sexytime, but since being on Yaz I have had NO drive at all. When I was on Yasmin, I didnt notice a difference.

8. It's so good to know that I'm not the only one. I think I'm just going to take some time off of birth control for right now. Krystle, that's exactly how I feel. Now I'm like...I don't even care if I shave my legs this morning..definitely a big difference!

9. I've been on the pill (various brands) for 10+ years and I've come to the conclusion that my libido is just not on the stronger side. Not sure if that's the pill or just me....?

10. I notice a HUGE difference from "on the pill" to "off the pill". I do think there is a link.

11. I've been on the pill for almost five years now and I've been feeling like I just don't care about sex (only around ovulation time do I get somewhat "excited")... I've switches pills twice (I take low hormones one) and it didn't make a difference (my mood swings did go away though!). Maybe it's just my libido? I don't know...but my live-in bf is not happy! LOL

12. I have heard about a ton of wonky side effects from the pill. I've been on Yasmin for a few years now (for acne), but have only been sexually active for half a year, so i don't have anything to compare it to..

I agree about seeing your doctor though. Just cause one brand works for some women, doesn't mean it will work for you. Like perfume :smile:

13. Agreenst 'Like perfume' lol that's hilarious. I am so glad that I posted here. I seriously thought I must be the only one. I always read cosmo and it's like everyone else in the world must be having sex all the time. I even saw a link from the news on some study that showed people were having sex up to five times a week. That really made me want to post something to see what's going on with me. I've been putting more effort in like some of you suggested and that did help. I'm going to try a few months without the birth control and see if I can get back to normal....here's the link for that study if y'all are curious http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319689,00.html

14. I just went off the pill after being on it for 15+ years and can say that I DEFINITELY feel a huge difference in my sexual drive...it has gotten so much better since stopping the pill. And I also lost 11 pounds so far without changing much other than stopping the pill! It wasn't just one brand either, because I had tried several different ones. I am so much happier now that I am not on the pill :tup:

15. I would definitely look into switching pills. The doctors do recommend that you stick with a pill for at least 3 months to let yourself get used to it. I experienced the symptoms you described when I was on Yaz- very low libido. I just switched back to Trinessa and it has gotten better. The reason I switched around in the first place was that prior pills made me break out- ugh! Sometimes it takes a little experimenting to see which pill is right for you.