Seller wants to sell to me outside ebay??

Please go through Ebay. I once lost an auction on a Hermes bag and got at least 5 fake second chance offers. There are a ridiculous amount of scams out there.

She can put up a regular listing, with the agreed amount as the starting bid price. Then she can send you the listing number as soon as she's done it, before it gets into the listings for everyone to see. You bid, and then she just ends the auction to sell to the current highest bidder - you. I've done this for people when we've agreed on a price outside eBay but wanted the protection, it's pretty easy.

Ok I know this is a very old thread but I"m new and can't start a thread yet so I'll try to comment on this one. I have been following a never full GM on ebay and had it checked out by Addy. I used the make an offer section and had been messaging the seller for additional photos etc. So I made an offer using the amount she said she would take and now she says she wants me to just pay cash outside of Ebay so she can save fees, with a yet lower price. We've been emailing back and forth and I told her I was feeling uncomfortable doing this since its a lot of money and she says if I want to buy on ebay then, i need to cancel the transaction after I get the bag so she can get her fees back. I'm supposed to deposit a cashiers check into her bank account while she's on vacation and she'll ship the bag next Monday. Am I being paranoid to want to just completely get out of this? She is keeping the bag listed until she gets my money so I feel I can get out of this.
Comments?

Henryclay said:
Ok I know this is a very old thread but I"m new and can't start a thread yet so I'll try to comment on this one. I have been following a never full GM on ebay and had it checked out by Addy. I used the make an offer section and had been messaging the seller for additional photos etc. So I made an offer using the amount she said she would take and now she says she wants me to just pay cash outside of Ebay so she can save fees, with a yet lower price. We've been emailing back and forth and I told her I was feeling uncomfortable doing this since its a lot of money and she says if I want to buy on ebay then, i need to cancel the transaction after I get the bag so she can get her fees back. I'm supposed to deposit a cashiers check into her bank account while she's on vacation and she'll ship the bag next Monday. Am I being paranoid to want to just completely get out of this? She is keeping the bag listed until she gets my money so I feel I can get out of this.
Comments?

Omg, don't do it. The eBay "fees" that she is worried about is peanuts compared to other consignments. She is up to no good. I would have a hard time trusting a seller who would put a buyer in that predicament.

Thanks for reply. I used to have a boss who always said we had to ask/think 'does this idea pass the "sniff test" before we did something. The further this goes the less I'm thinking it would pass through any level of sniff testing haha. There are so many fakes out there, yes she has good feedback and is gold medal ebay seller (which I'm having trouble believing if she makes a practice of this) but she mostly sells makeup and skin care items, not expensive bags ... even tho she has a bunch listed now.

I think you either need to trust her enough to do the off-Ebay purchase in a protected way or exit this seller now. I don't like the cancel transaction request at all.

To buy from her off-eBay (which is done all the time, if there is a reputable buyer and seller partnership), use Paypal, and she has to accept paying the fee. That way you are both credit-card protected and Paypal protected. Otherwise you have no protection. She still saves her eBay fee this way. That would be a compromise for both of you.

If she is unwilling to do that, walk away.

Comments?
Don't do this!!! You would be giving her cash. You would have no protection if something goes wrong.

Never ever pay in whatever way not protected by the Payment company or eBay or your credit card company. The photos in the listing can be stolen from other listing and what you get can be a fake, then you will have no money nor authentic bag. Don't cancel the transaction either because you lose your eBay protection after that and can't leave her feedback.
Ultimately, you DON'T need to do anything to "save" her the listing fees. If she doesn't like your offer, she can always deny it and wait until she gets a better offer. Problem is that she probably doesn't have any better offer than yours. So use your bargaining power and play safe. You shouldn't be too nice to people you don't know at all.

Last edited:
I did. I withdrew my offer and sent her an email saying I didn't want to purchase the bag from her under these circumstances. Even tho she was supposed to be on vacation I got a reply and she said I could go ahead and make the offer and purchase through Ebay - that she was just trying to save me money. Ha! I'm done with this seller - way too unscrupulous for me. Thanks for all the advice!

I did. I withdrew my offer and sent her an email saying I didn't want to purchase the bag from her under these circumstances. Even tho she was supposed to be on vacation I got a reply and she said I could go ahead and make the offer and purchase through Ebay - that she was just trying to save me money. Ha! I'm done with this seller - way too unscrupulous for me. Thanks for all the advice!
Oh, good God! :rolleyes: Saving you money? What a load of crap. :smash: More like leaving you open to getting royally screwed! :cursing: