Secondhand bargains, let's see your cheap treasures!

Do any of you refurbish vintage bags you find thrifting? I love a light color purse looking sad and boring and then misting it with pale gold leather spray paint until it slightly shimmers, and the thing looks brand new and haute couture! To my eyes.

You can check out the rehab thread in the coach clubhouse forum on this site. The thread is dedicated to rehabbing coach purses, many vintage, I expect the tips/techniques would work for other quality bags as well.

I actually just did a tutorial on my blog for my $50 Jimmy Choo sample sale bag. It was white and had transfer stains all over and I dyed it black. It was actually pretty easy to do :smile:

Before:
LeHoarder%2BJimmy%2BChoo%2Bdye%2Bproject%2Bdiy%2Bterrago%2Bpreparer.JPG

After:
LeHoarder%2BJimmy%2BChoo%2Bdye%2Bproject%2Blarge%2Bzoe%2Bhobo%2Bblack%2B.JPG

Do any of you refurbish vintage bags you find thrifting? I love a light color purse looking sad and boring and then misting it with pale gold leather spray paint until it slightly shimmers, and the thing looks brand new and haute couture! To my eyes.

I got the bug for metallic exotic bags about six years ago and then three years ago learned how easy leather spray paint is.... :smile:
It makes thrifting more fun if I find something gorgeous in good quality leather being cast off cheap that I would love in another color with fresh saturated color to hide all worn spots.

image.jpeg
I've been really enjoying thrift store find at the beach this week, cute hello kitty kipling nylon bag.
I'll post more metallic painted bags later today! I have a leather duffel from new Zealand sheepskin (via etsy) and a designer exotic shoulder bag to show! And another SLG.
And another shoulder bag that ended up being a fail but I cannot find it. Going from dark brown to light gold doesn't always work if you don't use sandpaper and it certainly didn't last on this bag, which made me sad so I set it somewhere out of sight until i could emotionally handle it again but now I can't remember where.

Reactions: lyssia817
image.jpeg image.jpeg
I have a fun bag story with this one. Total rehab bag but I did buy it new at a boutique in Notting Hill on vacation in London. It had a horrible flap, disintegrating leather trim, but the basic canvas body is this gorgeous rainbow upholstery carpet bag (Mary poppins anyone?) material that is super durable and lightweight and all the seams of the basic body were sound. So I added a zipper closure and grab handles and got the cobbler to add a crossbody strap & now seven years later it's my giant bag to go swimming with the 4 kids and throw six towels for all of us and water bottles and it not feel heavy. That's my teen first born carrying it for me today. I'm a sucker for a jewel toned rainbow!

Sorry for the poorly staged photos, 4 kids and husband off playing in a huge European metal festival.
Etsy python bag I bought from Asia and then dusted with gold :image.jpeg

Leather duffel I dusted until it turned bronze but the photo does not do the effect justice.
image.jpeg

Crocodile tiny bag and regular purse sized pocketbook. Both vintage, but in very good condition. EBay, cheap, but genuine exotic. The little one was ivory and I just barely dusted with gold but it made such a difference. OK this photo does not prove it but maybe I'll get a better one sometime when I'm carrying it. The big one was dark brown, yuck, and was the only one out of all of these that I actually prepped with acetone. I actually like it despite the hard shell style and it fits a surprising amount for nights out.
image.jpeg

My favorite. I wanted this Carlos Falchi metallic crocodile hobo for years but it cost thousands (3 or 4, I can't remember)of course. Then one day I found it NWOT on eBay for almost a thousand dollars but negotiated down to 600, but it was in natural with gray and green swampy colors (very pale though). So I dusted with leather spray paint in pale gold, no prep of course, just enough to get shimmer and cover any green hint. It worked so well. I love it.image.jpeg

Sorry for the poorly staged photos, 4 kids and husband off playing in a huge European metal festival.
Etsy python bag I bought from Asia and then dusted with gold :View attachment 3422419

Leather duffel I dusted until it turned bronze but the photo does not do the effect justice.
View attachment 3422420

Crocodile tiny bag and regular purse sized pocketbook. Both vintage, but in very good condition. EBay, cheap, but genuine exotic. The little one was ivory and I just barely dusted with gold but it made such a difference. OK this photo does not prove it but maybe I'll get a better one sometime when I'm carrying it. The big one was dark brown, yuck, and was the only one out of all of these that I actually prepped with acetone. I actually like it despite the hard shell style and it fits a surprising amount for nights out.
View attachment 3422421

My favorite. I wanted this Carlos Falchi metallic crocodile hobo for years but it cost thousands (3 or 4, I can't remember)of course. Then one day I found it NWOT on eBay for almost a thousand dollars but negotiated down to 600, but it was in natural with gray and green swampy colors (very pale though). So I dusted with leather spray paint in pale gold, no prep of course, just enough to get shimmer and cover any green hint. It worked so well. I love it.View attachment 3422422
You're so creative! I would never come up with these ideas. Great job!

Am I? I don't feel like I am that creative or crafty. There was a metallic leather trend five years ago and I couldn't afford it so I decided to hack the lust with second hand bags and a can of spray paint. I think it just I'm brave and wacky!

Reactions: Peach08