Scientists Grow First Heart

1. The first beating heart has been grown in a laboratory by scientists.

The medical leap could change the lives of thousands who suffer from coronary disease, who in the future could be offered a 'made to order' transplant. It also means other organs such as kidneys, lungs and livers could eventually be grown.

Medical tests were carried out on animal hearts, as the possibility of a human transplant using a laboratory-grown organ is still years from materialising.

Growing heart tissue has been an ongoing experiment for scientists, and until now creating a three-dimensional organ had proved impossible.

The revolutionary technique strips away the cells from a dead donor heart, leaving a 'skeleton' of connective tissue which is then injected with healthy heart cells. These cells grow to create a new living heart.

Dr Harald Ott, from the University of Minnesota, which took part in the study, said: 'When we saw the first contractions we were speechless.'

Dr Doris Taylor, of the Centre for Cardiovascular Repair at the University of Minnesota commented: 'It opens the door to this notion that you can make any organ: kidney, liver, lung, pancreas - you name it and we hope we can make it.'

Monday 14 January 2008

2. This is incredible.

3. That is truly amazing, wow!

4. I'm speechless too!

5. MY GOD. WOW. THIS IS REVOLUTIONARY!!!!
    :drinkup: CHEERS HUMANITY!!! (those that can afford the organs!!)

6. Oh, wow. That completely sidesteps the stem cell landmine.

7. Very exciting scientific step I hope that it is sucessful.

8. This is amazing...I also heard that this will extend a humans life.

9. This, combined with the work they are doing to "summon" a person's stem cells to the site of an injury could truly change the world. All they would have to do is prepare the donor heart, get some stem cells from the patients blood... and then there would be far fewer problems as far as rejection and other complications!

Its just so exciting :smile:

10. great! lets hope some scientist can make land as well. they arent making that anymore

11. to live past 100 years?