1. I think the scarf tied to the bag thing is cute. Where can I get a nice scarf (online preferably)-that won't cost a fortune but will look good? Any good scarf sites? :graucho:
  2. Nishi, is there a Tie Rack store near you?

Going out on a limb as there aren't many Tie Rack stores in the US (I think) but going from my experience in 1989 (yeah a long time ago). Was in London on holiday and bought some gorgeous polyester scarves which I still have today - maybe they were on sale, three for ten pounds, I think.

Online sites - there are a few sites with handcrafted scarves.

Check out (I'm in a rush, sorry), independent designers handbags. Good luck!
  3. Found this site via google:

Margaret makes scarves that are different - please read on.

A scarf that's a no-tie scarf

Red Hat Lady Scarf $8

Turban scarves $17-99

Don't know if you can tie this scarf to a bag?

If you're interested, you might ask if anyone's bought a scarf from Margaret?

Edited: Went to do more googling and read about Margaret's inspirational story :biggrin:

By: Carol Auclair Daly

Remember the energy of your 20’s? The enthusiasm of stepping up to offer new ideas in your 30’s? That “no problem” self-assurance and self-confidence when accepting new challenges as you turned a seasoned 40? And finally, at 50, being able to see “the big picture” and realizing that life is about more than YOU? Well, meet Margaret Thomson . . . a dynamo of a woman who, at 73, still exudes youthful energy, enthusiasm for new ideas, self-assurance and compassion for others, and has incredibly jumped both feet into the new age of Internet entrepreneurism!

At the age of 63, Margaret found herself out of work due to company downsizing. After momentary panic and indecision, with a little push from her grown children, and some strategic guidance from SCORE, Senior Corps of Retired Executives, Margaret walked away from that 9-to-5 job and straight into her own business. She’d long been making scarves of her own design for co-workers and friends, something which had provided her with a little supplemental income. She had even patented her L’Escarfe,™ design. So with barely a missed beat, Margaret began marketing scarves to boutiques in the Detroit area.

The next step was to the Internet where she opened a web site called Scarves by Margaret,, although she knew little about computers. She did her homework, found people to help with the technology, made contacts in the Internet business community, and suddenly when most people are dealing with retirement issues, Margaret Thomson was in business!

Now 10 years later, not a day goes by where Margaret isn’t busy doing something. She works on marketing; answers e-mails; packages and ships orders; attends meetings; and develops business contacts. “I’ll never retire,” she says. “I love what I’m doing and can’t imagine not being involved in the scarf business. Every day is a learning experience. I just go at my own pace and thank God for each new day.”
    Giving thanks . . . that’s something else Margaret is passionate about. She believes in giving thanks by helping others when she can. From her role in working with Crown American malls in the 1998 Pennsylvania Breast Cancer Coalition, to donating a portion of her profits to the Detroit Metro Gilda’s Club, she’s been more than willing to help out. But in 2003, she set a new goal . . . to go beyond monetary donations to cancer organizations.

I wanted to directly touch the lives of cancer patients, especially women,” says Margaret. “I want to experience what can only be felt by knowing you’ve made a difference in someone’s life. That was my inspiration in designing my newest products – a stylish turban and my new Scarf ‘n’ Cap combination, which is perfect for younger women and teenage girls.”

“Now,” says Margaret, “women who need and want a head covering that allows them to look good and feel good about their appearance throughout cancer treatment, will have a nice array of classy and professional head coverings from which to choose. This is a difficult time for a woman. A woman’s beauty is often defined by her hair, and coping with losing that part of her life even temporarily, is a challenge that often compounds the damage from the disease itself. I wanted to help these women feel pretty . . . to help them keep their sense of fashion and pride in their appearance through a difficult time. They tell me that my turban scarves do that for them, and I’m so glad!”

Margaret also did some research to provide women with cancer support information when they visit her web site. “I added a section of cancer-related links – places where patients or families can find assistance with everything from treatment options to support groups in the U.S., internationally, or in their local areas.

I feel women or family members searching for turbans, may also find the cancer links while visiting my web site, and also find support or treatment center options that they weren’t aware of previously. It’s my way of offering empathy and friendship, whether they buy or not. I have much to be thankful for in my life, so creating accessories for women in recovery, and being able to provide access to support resources at the same time, helps me ‘give back,’ to use a common term. Hopefully, it will be a help to some very courageous women who are fighting mightily for their own lives, if only in the smallest way.”