San Francisco Oil Spill

1. Oh, no! This is awful!
  2. This makes me f-ing sick.
  3. [​IMG]
  4. Poor little duck!

God bless those people taking the time to clean the birds!

This is part of a report on the spill:

Wildlife officials said finding birds and other animals covered in oil is a high priority.

The spill threatens to coat the birds' feathers, making it impossible for them to stay warm when they get into the chilly bay water, said Dr. Mike Ziccardi, director of the Oiled Wildlife Care Network. The UC Davis program organizes the wildlife aid response for the state Department of Fish and Game. The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito is also part of the network.

The most common species feeding at the Golden Gate at this time of year include western grebes and scoters.

"The birds' first response is to get out of the water (during a spill)," Ziccardi said. "They have a high metabolism and need to eat frequently. Because they're out of the water, they can't eat. They can become severely debilitated and can die unless brought into rehabilitation."

At the International Bird Rescue Research Center in Fairfield, "we get them warm, we get them rehydrated and we get the oil off of them. The more quickly we can respond, the better it will be," Ziccardi said.

Some of the injured birds are being taken to a recovery station at Fort Mason in San Francisco.

Residents who spot birds covered with oil should call (877) 823-6926. People interested in volunteering should not call this number. Would-be volunteers should check for opportunities at

5. OMG, how awful!! The poor wildlife there. I'm so sad!!
  6. Reminds me of the Exxon Valdez disaster....sad.
  7. wow...that article is so sad..
    im a bird lover myself so its very upsetting...:crybaby:
  8. That's so sad ;-;
  9. Its so sad that animals become the victims of careless human disaster!
  10. I agree. and anyways we're just killing ourselves in the end. This world is sickening, we just destroy everything!
  11. It is just heartbreaking to see the Bay like favorite place in the world!
  12. I completely agree. This is so sad.:sad:

13. Mine too, we'll be there on the 5th. DH has an appointment at the VA and we always have lunch on the wharf after.

Bless those folks who are saving as many birds as they can. I saw film on it yesterday. Also heard the ship told Port Authorities they "bumped" a stanction at first. Didn't tell them til later they dumped oil into the Bay.