Safety info WE all should know...(share)

1. I received this E-mail (with the story) from a friend and got this great bits of info to share. A little long but I think it's worth it.

MUST KNOW *677
    I knew about the red light on cars, but not the *677. It was about 1:00p.m. in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. *Lauren's parent has always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather to wait until they get to a gas station, etc.
    Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called 677 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she was at, and there weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back up already on the way.
    Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.
    One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.
    I never knew about the *677 Cell Phone Feature, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a safe & quiet; place.You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them ( i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call *677 like Lauren did.
    Too bad the cell phone companies don't generally give you this little bit of wonderful information.
    *Speaking to a service representative at ** Bell ** Mobility confirmed that *677 was a direct link to OPP Dispatch. So, now it's your turn to let your friends know about *677.
    Send this to every woman (and person) you know; it may save a life.
  2. Thanks for posting! Really interesting.
  3. Thats interesting. Did your friend actually try this herself?
  4. Thanks for posting this story.
  5. That's another hoax...

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]The number *677, aka *OPP, is the non-emergency cell caller line of the Ontario Provincial Police.

Won't work if you're not in Canada...

6. Urban Myth!
  7. I don't know if it's true but I got from a friend, she must not mean harm...
  8. There are numbers that you can dial to reach your local highway patrol, so do take measures to find out what those numbers are, rather than just rely on some email that has been forwarded on the internet for years.
  9. this is a good idea though in principle. i know that an unmarked state trooper tried to pull my dad over on a deserted stretch of rural highway at night a couple years ago on his way home from work. my dad drove all the way back into town before he pulled over (about 20 miles). the cop understood once my dad explained it. you do have to put your hazards on though and would have been better if he could've called the dispatcher.

you can usually 411 the local police or sheriff's non emergancy number pretty easily on your cell and it connects you automatically. i personally keep the local fire, police, sheriff, and state police non emergancy and emergancy lines in my phone. it's just smart.
  10. ah...thanks for sharing the story ilzabet.
  11. i got pulled over last yr and in an attempt to pull over in a safe spot, i put on my hazard lights, drove SUPER slow for 2 blks but the dumbass cop apparently STILL thought I was trying to evade him (HELLO?!).. he sped in front, pulled right over.... jumped out and pointed his gun at me yelling for me to PUT MY HANDS ON THE WHEEL.!! then i tried to tell him i was going to a safe spot to pull over and he told me i was being argumentative and said that when a cop tries to pull you over you do it right then. he was such a butt hole... aargh... ok .. getting angry thinking abt it so i will stop....
  12. Ugh! What a jerk that guy was. How are you evading him with your emergency lights on, lol. He must not have been the brightest crayon in the crayola box. Sorry you had to go through that kahluamilk!
  13. Well, we have some crazy nut running around Philadelphia impersonating a police officer and pulling women over. It was on the news a couple of times. Everyone says if someone trys to pull you over, to put on your flasher lights on to acknowledge the police officer, but then wait to pull over to a shopping plaza or some other public place. I understand that is what the Philadelphia police want us to do.
  14. good idea.
  15. Its a hoax... urban legend*677+Police+Hotline+Hoax

Don't take offense to it, a lot of people fall for these urban legends all the time. Just make sure to let her know that.
    A good way to tell if it is, just google it :smile: Or better yet, go to the site in my post trendmicro and do that there

I know a lot of people who deleted files that they shouldnt have (because an email told them it was a virus) and so on!!!