safest way of paying if not paypal on ebay?

I'd say use US Postal service money orders- TO buy and or receive. Less chances of the MO being fake. But remember if you use a US Postal service money order and put it in the mail to ship out, you never get your item- THATS fraud- two times over- I think I read somewhere you can track who cashed it and if you have not received your merchandise- you can be protected by fraud. Make sure you put on the MO what you are actually buying. I may not be 100% correct on everything I stated above, as I only briefly read the disclosure. I would check into all avenues to be certain for yourself
I am scared to buy and or sell- all the PAYPAL and EBAY scams !!!
All someone has to do is claim this or that and paypal freezes your shyt and you are in a bind.

As a seller, I have been really burned by PayPal and chargebacks! I am going to be doing Google Checkout and only do PayPal if it is US! I'm really tempted to not accept PayPal at all, only because I don't want them to have the $$ in fees! I have a really bad taste in my mouth for PP!!!

I buy and sell on eBay using PayPal. It's they only way to go! Sellers can accept all international payments via credit card through PayPal and your buyer is insured up to $2,000.00. There's more protection for the buyer than for the seller. I've never had a messed up transaction. U.S. Postal Money Orders are great too, but only Canadians that live on the U.S. border can obtain them. Also, when you have a PayPal account, get it verified and get the debit card that PayPal will issue you. Then you can withdraw the cash as soon as you're paid by the buyer, and pray that the transaction goes smoothly.

I use PayPal only, and even though I realize that as a seller I have very limited protection for international payments, honestly I have been really fortunate never to have an international chargeback.
The only chargebacks I have ever had were from some guy in MY OWN TOWN who claimed he never got his thing (and I had the delivery confirmation), and some crazy chick who I still haven't figured out what happened there (she got a refund and tried to claim she didn't).

Knock on wood, I have been lucky with PayPal, regardless of whether the person has a confirmed address or not. The PP protection means squat to me for my "important" stuff though because it's all over $2,000, so my best recourse is to ship FedEx, fully trackable and insured.

Now if I could only figure out some way to help customers deal with customs fees, I'd be all set.