Saddam Hussein sentenced to be hanged

1. BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Saddam Hussein was sentenced Sunday to death by hanging for his role in a brutal crackdown nearly 25 years ago in Dujail -- the once obscure Iraqi town that is now a symbol of his regime's cruelty.

Also sentenced to death were Barzan Hassan, Saddam Hussein's half-brother and former head of the intelligence agency, and Awad Bandar, the former chief judge of the Revolutionary Court.

Bandar repeatedly screamed "Allahu Akhbar" -- God is great -- as he was being taken out of court.

Taha Yassin Ramadan, the former vice president of Iraq, was sentenced to life in prison.

"This is very clear, and I tell the people today that the verdict was predetermined and has nothing to do with court proceedings," Ramadan said.

Three other defendants were each sentenced three to 15 years in jail, and one was acquitted.

Mohammed Azzawi Ali, a former Dujail Baath Party official, was exonerated because, the court said, there was insufficient evidence against him.

The verdicts come nearly three years after U.S.-led forces plucked Hussein out of hiding and just a few days before U.S. midterm elections, with the Iraqi war at center stage.

The defendants filed into the courtroom to receive their sentences from a five-judge panel.

Defense attorney Ramsey Clark was also in court, but he was soon ousted by judges. The court asked Clark to leave, saying he had come here from America to mock the Iraqi people and this court.

The tribunal met in Baghdad to render verdicts for the co-defendants for their roles in a systematic attack on the Shiite town of Dujail after someone tried to assassinate Hussein during a visit on July 8, 1982. (Watch scenes from Dujail crackdown, Baghdad preparations -- 3:20 )

The tribunal met amid heavy security and sweeping curfews in Baghdad and elsewhere, as authorities brace for violent reactions to the verdicts. (Full story)

This chapter of the much-criticized trial, which began in October 2005, comes nearly three years after U.S.-led forces plucked Hussein out of hiding and a few days before U.S. midterm elections on November 7.

Each defendant found guiltycan appeal. The sentences of life imprisonment and death allow for an automatic appeal.

There is no limit on how long the appellate judges have to review the case file, but the statute states that a death sentence should be carried out within 30 days after all appeals are exhausted.

Outbursts and walkouts
    The Dujail trial, the first in what is a series of proceedings against former regime officials, began October 19, 2005, and ended July 27. It was a turbulent courtroom battle witnessed on TV across the globe.

It was marked by outbursts and harangues from Hussein and his co-defendants, lawyer walkouts, much-criticized court actions, and complaints from lawyers about poor security. There were grave concerns about security for legal teams and their families; three defense lawyers were killed. (Full story)

Witness testimony and prosecutors got their case across, however. According to court documents, the military, political and security apparatus in Iraq and Dujail killed, arrested, detained and tortured men, women and children in the town. Homes were demolished and orchards were razed.

The Revolutionary Court sentenced 148 males to death, with Saddam's signature ratifying the order.

But there were other deaths as well -- nine people were killed during the destruction of orchards, and many of the 399 people who had been detained were either killed or remain missing.

Hussein, Hassan and Ramadan were charged with willful killing, deportation or forcible transfer of population; imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental norms of law; torture; enforced disappearance of persons, and other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering; or serious injury to the body or to the mental or physical health.

Bandar was charged with willful killing by issuing the death sentences for the 148 people.

The remaining defendants are lower-level Baath Party officials from Dujail, who were charged with informing on Dujail residents who later died in prison or were sentenced to death. They are Abdullah Kadhem Ruwaid, Ali Dayem Ali, Mohammed Azzawi Ali, and Mizher Abdullah Ruwaid.

From CNN.com

2. I watched it live as it unfolded on FOX News. I won't get into my thoughts about if he should be hanged or not, as not to possibly upset anybody - but now we've just got to wait and see what happens within Baghdad and Iraq

3. The man is evil. Regardless of his fate here on earth, I can only hope that he will eternally pay for his actions in hell....

4. Now if only we could capture Bin Laden.:rolleyes:

5. He's evil. couldn't care less about him tbh. that's all there is to say ;)

6. I just think it would be better to let him suffer and rot in prison, with no hope of ever getting out, and just one unbearably horrible day after another day to think about. Hanging is too much like martyrdom for my liking :sad:

7. Isn't that the truth.

8. I couldn't agree more, though for me it's partially that I'm completely against capital punishment. But for someone who obviously has no regard for humanity, what is death to him really? I barely see it as a punishment for a person like him, to be honest.

9. And people say there is no good news!

10. I doubt Saddam will let it happen like that. Wouldn't you just assume kill yourself first?

11. finally.. thats all I can say.

12. i somehow think hanging is not quite appropriate for this. even though he's done a lot of inhuman things, he was still the leader of a country. the least they can do is let him die with a little more dignity instead of just hanging him off a tree.

13. I agree with those who say let him rot in a cell (I'm also against capital punishment too though).

I think it's worse punishment to let him suffer living in a cell for the rest of his life than to give him the easy way out and let him die.

14. I think they should adopt the OOPS!! factor.. and I'm not a fan of capital punishment. Allowing this man to die with dignity because he was a leader of a country is like saying we should have allowed Hitler to die with dignity because he was a leader of a country. Allowing him to sit in a cell for the rest of his life would be like a Holiday Inn hotel stay. JMO-:flowers:

15. For the most part, I'm against capital punishment, unless the crimes were extremely heinous and cruel (like his were).