Sac Plat Reference Thread

louislover260

Jan 16, 2008
Since there is not an abundant wealth of information on the Sac Plat readily available around here, I have taken it upon myself to create a thread that specifically caters to the Sac Plat.

I want this thread to be helpful to everyone looking to buy one of these fantastic bags. I will give my point of view on the bag, talk about the pros and cons, and hopefully you will be able to take the information and make a well informed decision on whether or not you will purchase the Sac Plat.

DSCF5536.jpg

History:
The Sac Plat was originally launched in 1968. The Sac Plat was designed to pack neatly into luggage so it could be used as a handbag when needed upon arrival to the destination. This is by far one of the most useful bags created by Louis Vuitton and probably their best kept secret. Unlike many of their other bags, the Sac Plat is one you won't see a whole lot.

The bag has been made in many lines, including some L.E.
  • Monogram
  • Damier
  • Epi (GM & PM sizes were made)
  • Miroir
  • Cerises
  • Mirage (Not in Production)
  • Denim
  • Epi with T.V. built in. (Not in Production)
  • And many more...

Functionality:
Don't let the slim design trick you into thinking you won't be able to carry everything you need. That is FAR from the truth! I am able to pack the same amount of stuff into this bag as I am the Speedy 40 and the Keepall 45. The dimensions are: 14.3" x 14.9" x 3.5".
I am able to pack my Groom Agenda, ZCP, Cles, PT 15, Gucci 6 Keyholder, and my phone. The phone fits nicely in the zipper pocket. (Epi is the only one I know of to have this pocket.) The newer Mono and Damier both have slip pockets and cell pockets. Everything else sits nicely on the bottom, with plenty of room to place a Vogue mag or a Cardigan on top. Also, the plastic lining is perfect for this bag. It keeps it lightweight, and if something spills on the inside you can wipe it right out, just like the toiletry cases.

Loaded:
DSCF5537.jpg

Everything Inside:
DSCF5538.jpg

Out And About:
My main complaint when I'm shopping is carrying a bulky bag like a Speedy or a Neverfull, especially when surfing the discounts at my local Nordstrom Rack. The space between the racks never seem wide enough for me and bag to pass through. I never have to worry about that with my Sac Plat, I slip passed the clothing and shoes with ease! Also going to dinner in a crowded restaurant is hard with a big bag. Weaving between tables, and then trying to balance a big bag on a little chair can be a hassle. Not with the Sac Plat, I ate at Bucca di Beppo's with this bag and it was the easiest night out I have ever had. I set my bag right beside me and it fit nicely.

Side-by-side comparison:
DSCF5539.jpg

Negatives about the Sac Plat:
In my opinion, the Sac Plat is virtually perfect, it's lightweight, easy to carry, and the perfect size. However, with all great things there is always something negative. I will be honest and share my three negative points with you.

Cons:
  • The bag sometimes tips over in the car when hitting the brakes. This is due to its thin base.
  • The wind picks it up like a sail. I recently carried the bag in Chicago, the "Windy City" and if I were a small guy I am sure I would have been blown away. Do not carry this bag in a hurricane. :P
  • This bag is not jewelry friendly. I wear a large Emporio Armani watch, and given the bags slim design, I can't use my left hand to reach down in the bag. I wouldn't recommend any ladies with big rings to do it either. You will risk damaging the lining, or worse, scratching your watch on the zipper.

Conclusion:
I love my Sac Plat and as far as LV is concerned it's the best money I have ever spent on a bag. It's durable, functional, structured, and overall perfection. I plan to buy this bag in other Epi colors and Monogram as well and I hope you decide to do the same. I hope that this quick review is enough information to help you make an informed decision on the bag. I like the idea of having mini reference threads on certain bags, it keeps all the information in one spot, and saves you, the reader, from searching through all of the hundreds of posts on tPF. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did writing it. Other Sac Plat owners, please feel free to share your reviews on the Sac Plat and post as many pictures as you can. Let's give this bag the recognition it deserves.

Last edited:
You're making me want to use my Miroir Sac Plat.. I'm pleased you love your Sac Plat although admittedly for me, it's never the first bag that I run to in terms of functionality. Maybe I'll have to start bringing it out more.

Great work! :biggrin:
A few questions (as I don't know this bag very well)- can this be carried on the shoulder or is it strictly handheld? And would this be good for uni to carry some files/thin books?

Great work! :biggrin:
A few questions (as I don't know this bag very well)- can this be carried on the shoulder or is it strictly handheld? And would this be good for uni to carry some files/thin books?

I can fit the bag on my shoulder although it's certainly not comfortable and I'd say you'd probably have to be under 5'5 with thin arms so for most, it is strictly handheld. You could add an additional strap, if you wanted to make it shoulder carried.

It is definitely a good bag for uni as you can carry books, laptops and books within.

Hey jen_sparro, I agree with Kenzo, very few people would be able to use this as a shoulder bag. The bag would be great for files and notebooks! I am considering buying another one for my design portfolio and client files when I enter the career world.

Wow! Thanks for starting this great thread and posting so much helpful info. I recently came to inheirit a monogram Sac Plat, and I am in total lurve!

It's in great condition, although I suspect I'll have to replace the inside after doing some research on here (I think it was a Vuittonite interior). This is a great resource for an LV newbie like me, so please keep the great info coming!

This one is my first LV - hopefully the first of many more :sneaky: My poor husband...

Last edited: