Running With Scissors

1. I've been reading this book and it is ablolutely hilarious! I can't believe the life this kid had growing up in the seventies with a bunch of super alternative loonies. Some parts are sad too, but he has an amazing sense of humor.

I can't wait for the movie.

I actually read about this book in PFer, Shushopn's, Blog and she made it sound so good that I thought I'd give it a shot...and I'm so glad I did. I'm actually off to barnes and noble today to get more of his books:smile:

btw, while I'm discussing books, "The Year of Wonders," and "March", by Geraldine Brooks are great historical fiction. I just finished those b/f starting Burroughs. "The Thirteenth Tale" is neat too. So many good books out lately:yahoo:

2. I loved the Time Traveler's Wife!

3. I saw the movie last weekend and it was really good. Very true to the book. I hear the family is suing due to his portrayal of them.

4. I read this book when it first came out and found it a little off-putting for some reason. I have since loaned my copy to a GF but am anxious to re-read it to see if I can "get it" the second time around.

5. I have this book too and have been putting it off for other books. Can't say the other books were any good though. I was not impressed with the Mermaid Chair at all.

6. i loved this book, so funny. have "dry" the sequel on the way from amazon. can't wait to see the movie too!

7. I really want to see the movie...but after reading this review I might have to read the book first.

8. I just finished the book last night. I really enjoyed it!! A little weird at times, but it sure made for an interesting read. I am going look up his other books. And I cannot wait to see the movie, unfortunately I have to wait for it to come on DVD.

Faith...I looooooooved the Time Travelers Wife!!!! I think it is one of my favorite books!! I have tried to get other people to read it, but they dont understand the plot so they won't read it. I heard they might be turning it into a movie...I hope so!!!

9. ^^yeah, the book is definitely bizarre at points. When I started this thread I had not yet reached some of the more explicit sections. So only read it if you have a high tolerence for lewd language/ explicit description. But I'm still getting a total kick out of the whole thing. Makes me laugh out loud!

10. i have the thirteenth tale, but haven't started it. :sweatdrop:

11. MandM...I know!! Some of the parts in the book were definitely :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: But, the :wtf: parts are what shaped the story line.

lelgin...I was wondering what the family must have thought about the book.

12. Okay...OT, but I had to add that I just went to IMDB to see if there was any information about The Time Travelers Wife being made into a movie. And guess who might be playing Clare?? Rachel McAdams!!! I just love her!! :biggrin:

Alrighty...

:back2topic:

13. MandM - I can't believe you read "Running With Scissors" because of my blog!!!! I'm shocked. :flowers: :flowers: I love Augusten burroughs (as you know) but you do need to know that this book can be quite explicit, which doesn't bother me at all but might offend others.

His book "Possible Side Effects" was hysterical. It is just short stories of his life as is "Magical Thinking". Both cracked me up!

Haven't seen the movie b/c a lot of reviews I read were bad and I loved the book so much I would hate to see a bad version of it. Think I will wait for video.

14. "Dry" is much darker b/c it has to do with his alcoholism and ultimate recovery.

15. I saw the movie 2 weeks ago. I had no idea what it was going to be about. I have to say it was an excellent movie - a bit disturbing and funny. I was bummed at the end until my bf pointed out that he overcame everything and became successful. Now I really want to read the book!