Running With Scissors - Book

1. I know this isn't a Book Club forum... but I've been reading this book. On the covers it has a bunch of reviews which state that the book is "hilarious", "wickedly, ridiculously funny", "insanely funny", "looney".

I am almost done... and I gotta say, I am finding this book deeply disturbing. Especially because it is a recount of the author's ACTUAL life.

Has anyone read this book... can anyone back me up here? I haven't laughed yet. (and I have a good sense of humour...)

I spend most of the time reading with a face like this::wtf:

2. I couldn't get through it- I found it depressing. I have to somewhat like or be at least interested in the characters in a book and I didn't like anyone in this book.:shrugs:

3. Soooo, nobody reads? Or nobody read this particular toilet paper?

4. I loved it. I've read all of his books but one. I feel like Burroughs took some creative license with it (although not much since there are stories online about the Dr. & his family). Yeah, it's disturbing, but not every childhood is full of puppies and kitties, so I admire him for getting his story out there & trying to present his dark childhood with some humor.

I think you have to have a dark sense of humor to like the book. I have a really dark sense of humor, so this was really right up my alley. Stuff like Burrough's books, Palahniuk's (Fight Club, Haunted, etc.) books and The Aristocrats movie crack me up.

5. i just read it and loved it. yes, it was disturbing at times, but it also made me laugh out loud, something which books rarely do for me. i agree with jillybean's comments about needing a dark sense of humour, which i do as well. i can't wait to read some of his other books.

6. I have been meaning to buy this book. I want to read it before the movie comes out.

7. Hmmm. Okay - I thought I had a dark sense of humour but clearly I don't!!:lol:

I'll admit, the part about the coiled poop in the toilet meaning that their monetary luck was about to go up did make me laugh. But that was the only part.

Appreciate your honesty. Thanks!!! I'm not done yet... prob finish this weekend...

8. i LOVED it. the constant :wtf: feeling is what made me laugh so hard. plus he was so blase about the fact his life was freaking crazy. (i mean who puts a hole in their ceiling because they're bored?) makes even the craziest moment of your own life feel normal. (which is infact why my best friend bought it for me in the first place. :smile:)

i enjoyed his second memoir dry even more. it's about his battle with alcoholism and i found it even more funny and heartwrenching.