Running a half or full marathon

1. Hi everyone!

I've decided that I would like to try running a half-marathon this year and eventually, see if I can push myself to run a full marathon. There are so many lovely trails in the DC area and I want to take advantage of that.

I'm not much of a runner, but I want to really challenge and push myself. I feel so inspired by reading about seemingly unlikely people who actually go out there and do it.

I've gotten a few books and will order the proper shoes soon. I'm thinking about joining a running club in the DC area to help motivate me.

I wanted to know if anyone here has run either a half or full marathon? I would love to read about your experiences and how you've trained for it.

Thanks!

2. I ran a full marathon back in 2001. I lost a bet so had to do it. :p What was really helpful was to train with other people. I was fortunate as my friend (whom I lost the bet to) was already a runner. But there are running groups out there that meet every week (google it - I am sure DC has some) and they are great for motivation and training.

Good luck! I'm trying to get back in shape to do another one. Erf! I have a long road ahead of me. :smile:

p.s. - just reread your post and it sounds like you have the right idea!

3. I've run 6 marathons, lots of 1/2 Marathons and do Ironman triathlons & 1/2 Ironman triathlons.

I made up my own schedule based on what works for me, from reading books, magazine articles, talking to others, etc...

One thing you may want to consider is getting an online coach. I know peo-ple who have done this and say it's great ! They e mail you your workouts and give you tips, etc.....

You may also want to get more than one pair of running shoes. I have lots and just alternate them. This way they also last longer. Supposedly it takes at least 48 hours for the midsoles to fully "bounce back" after you've run, so a second (at minimum) pair of running shoes is a big plus !!! Also only use your running shoes for running. That will also help them last longer !

4. I used to be a big runner back in the day! It's a wonderful sport! I thoroughly enjoyed it and honestly I can't figure out why I ever stopped. But, anyway, yes, I ran 10ks', half-marathons and the Marine Corp. Marathon in 1997. I never tried to win. I just did it for personal enjoyment.

Nothing was more pleasurable to me than putting on my shoes and flying out the door with my Walkman. (LOL! Way before IPods were invented!)

You don't need any equipment other than good shoes and appropriate clothing. I might add, though, to please be careful and be aware of your surroundings. If I were to start running again, I don't think I'd listen to music. I'd want to hear anybody and everybody who was approaching me.

Have fun! I'm envious of you and your motivation!

5. you know i always say i am going to run a marathon, but haven't even gotten around to a 5k. hmmm. . .i think it would help if i had a running buddy to motivate me some more. but i think running a marathon once in your life is a great goal for anyone. i'll get around to it. . . .eventually