Rude Neiman's SA bashing on Chloe Paddies!!

I had a similar encounter...not as bad as the initial thread starter...and the saleperson wasn't knocking my bag...just other brands in general. I was in Hermes the other day looking at their bags. Had never really ventured in their store before...but was curious.

The bags in this particular store...well, nothing really caught my eye, only the price tag!!! But the SA started going on about how it's better to spend $4,000 on one bag that is a classic and that will last forever, stay in style for ever...instead of buying a whole bunch of bags like Chloe (she did say Chloe!!!) that are not of the same quality, not classic, etc...

My opinion, I would rather have several bags...to change up with the outfit, instead of one expensive bag.

I mean, I know SAs should be proud of the products they sell and try to convince buyers why their product is better than the others...but looking at some of your responses...the SAs just need to do it with more class.

In Sales 101 you are taught to never cut down the competition, you can draw comparisons but never slam the opposing product (like the SA in the above scenerio). She's a 'doe-doe' since you are a Chloe owner and in essence this SA was saying your choice was not classic. Also that Hermes will always be in Fashion and not Chloe, WRONG. (no one can predict that for one thing)

What she should have done to justify the price was to go into Hermes being handmade and it takes X amount of time to stitch one, their exclusivity, top of the line leather blah, blah, blah...or investment piece etc. KWIM:tdown:

In Sales 101 you are taught to never cut down the competition, you can draw comparisons but never slam the opposing product (like the SA in the above scenerio). She's a 'doe-doe' since you are a Chloe owner and in essence this SA was saying your choice was not classic. Also that Hermes will always be in Fashion and not Chloe, WRONG. (no one can predict that for one thing)

What she should have done to justify the price was to go into Hermes being handmade and it takes X amount of time to stitch one, their exclusivity, top of the line leather blah, blah, blah...or investment piece etc. KWIM:tdown:

Susieserb, great way of showing us how an SA should respond with class!!! Thanks

Well I am shocked at the attitude of this salesperson. She is obviously bored doing her job and gets a kick out of spouting such rubbish. I am in Uk and our Chloes have pride of place in exclusive department stores with SA's who sing their praises. Also the fashion and whats in and whats not is decided by the consumer and as far as I am aware Chloe is still loved in US and UK. If someone doesnt like them thats a taste issue and we all have different taste. If they are so 'out' why does the store still sell them?? Ignore her, we love paddies and she doesnt have a clue what she is talking about.

Did you see the poll on the main thread, re: Bbag vs. paddy? I think paddy is naturally at a disadvantage because of its weight. Plus, with all of the "new" colors at that can be seen at diabro.net, the paddy will go by the wayside. Personally, I love how my paddys look and believe that the colors are great. And I think the new patent colors are cool too. But if Chloe does not pull its acts together and just keeps "recycling" the popular colors from the past, I do not think that the consumers will be attracted for long. Can't wait for spring "new" color bags to show up.

Oh well - I never think it is a CONTEST! There are so many varying opinions and so many body types and fashion styles that there is bag preference for everyone. I guess no one wants to be thought of as sporting something the fashion 'cognoscenti' would sneer at. But personal STYLE is a whole nuther ballgame. I have learned that it is part of my 'style' to have a special bag to compliment my outfit on any given day. Would I like to have a Hermes? Good question. Sure - why not? I like Birkins. Maybe one day when I have $8000 lying around I will go there. It would just be part of my stable of bags. One of many. Again - I can't say it enough - the most stylish people I know dress as a form of self expression and they have the eye to know what works for them. It has nothing to do with how much the items cost or what is featured in the magazines or is on the arm of starlets. Some fashion sages may put Paddies in the "out" column one day and I would just roll my eyes. I was just reading on the bbag forum that lots of posters are incensed because the bbags have just been rated as passe. Uh huh - right. Realize, too, that the fashion business would not be making as much money if everybody was content to keep the same old stuff - or even worse - recycle on ebay!! LOL

Oh Again - I can't say it enough - the most stylish people I know dress as a form of self expression and they have the eye to know what works for them. It has nothing to do with how much the items cost or what is featured in the magazines or is on the arm of starlets

So well said, Divnanata!! Our personal style should be something that reflects who we are, not the current 'it' bag or trend.

What a cow. Next time you're there, speak to her supervisor and tell them that NM lost several sales due to her rudeness.

hehehhe what a cow? thats my fav post in this thread ^___^ i think the pm is so much more cute and she must be crazy if she thinks its a kids bag. if i had kids i wouldn't even get them the mini speedy.

WoW...thats outragous:wtf:!!! I cant beleive ANYONE in retail would say such a thing! That is outright rude! I personally would be quite offended, I might even have mentioned it to her manager. Who does she think she is?!!!

My opinion, I would rather have several bags...to change up with the outfit, instead of one expensive bag.

So would I. :yes:

Frankly, I think I'd die of boredom if I only had one bag, especially if it was as plain as Hermes generally are; I never think I have a bag to go with what I'm wearing, as it is (and I must have around 30, in all!) so imagine what I'd be like with just one! :wtf: :lol:

Doesn't bear thinking about, really, does it?! :blink:

I mean, never mind the fact that one would have to survive with just one bag for day and night, smart and casual and in just one colour, what about hardware? How can someone possibly look good and mix it up a little with just silver, or goldtone?

The truth is, one can't, so one would have to (very carefully!) select at least 5 bags, IMO; let's say 3 for day and 2 for night, which (and I'm no expert) would add up to at least $16,000 at Hermes, wouldn't it? :shrugs:

Not many people can, or would, spend that in one go, so I assume that most people who buy an Hermes either have to use the same bag all the time, until they can afford/justify another; or have to buy other cheap bags to use as well (and what a let-down they must seem, in comparison?!).

Much better to buy 5 Chloes (assuming you can find 5 you like, these days, of course!) for around $6,500 (and perhaps less in the sales), surely? :shrugs:

Anyway, my Chloe's are of good enough quality, for me. :yes: I have a couple of BVs, so I know what really good quality is and although it's amazing, it's a little beyond my needs, most of the time, TBH.

As far as I'm concerned, Italian-made R-T-W bags, with a few exceptions, are pretty much all of good enough quality for me and attractive and interesting design will always win out over just that little bit of extra quality.

Having said that, lovely as the design is and well made as it is, I would have preferred to pay a little more to have had my Kerala wallet handmade in Italy from leather more similar to my A/W '02 continental wallet; as the stitching does seem a little too uniform, and the leather is less 'Chloe', IMO. But that's a little bit more (say 30%), not over double, as a wallet, presumably, would be at Hermes.

I think we all have our comfort zones, below which we feel deprived (ridiculous in this context, I know!) and above which we feel unecessarily indulgent and give me an interesting design, handstitching, finishing and detailing, good quality calf leather/fabric and hardware and a cotton twill lining and and I'm pretty happy, most of the time! :biggrin:

Oh well - I never think it is a CONTEST! There are so many varying opinions and so many body types and fashion styles that there is bag preference for everyone. I guess no one wants to be thought of as sporting something the fashion 'cognoscenti' would sneer at. But personal STYLE is a whole nuther ballgame. I have learned that it is part of my 'style' to have a special bag to compliment my outfit on any given day. Would I like to have a Hermes? Good question. Sure - why not? I like Birkins. Maybe one day when I have $8000 lying around I will go there. It would just be part of my stable of bags. One of many. Again - I can't say it enough - the most stylish people I know dress as a form of self expression and they have the eye to know what works for them. It has nothing to do with how much the items cost or what is featured in the magazines or is on the arm of starlets. Some fashion sages may put Paddies in the "out" column one day and I would just roll my eyes. I was just reading on the bbag forum that lots of posters are incensed because the bbags have just been rated as passe. Uh huh - right. Realize, too, that the fashion business would not be making as much money if everybody was content to keep the same old stuff - or even worse - recycle on ebay!! LOL

Quite. :yes: