Rude Neiman's SA bashing on Chloe Paddies!!

^^Hmmm girls?? From our Chloe purse forum perspective it sure seems like the new regime is not keeping up with the successes of the past. While the latest Spring line that we saw in the fashion show was not popular at all with us, you have to wonder what is the consensus in the rest of the world. We forget that WE are not the entire Chloe universe - LOL! I wonder how many of us actually WEAR any of the clothes?

Okay - we sometimes buy the footwear I guess. It did give me pause to realize that there were women buying Chloe bags at my Neimans that would never post here!!! Imagine that?!:tpfrox:

I haven't bought many Chloe clothes, personally (although, I now wish that I had bought many more when I could and have begun scouring eBay for the older items), but several members here (who have now moved on to other designers, unfortunately), have (check out the 'How many Chloe items do you own?' thread for details).

I don't (or didn't) just buy bags, either, I buy (or used to buy) lots of costume jewellery and scarves etc., as well as footwear. :smile:

I also belong to another large fashion forum and the consensus there is not positive, on the whole, either.

Don't worry, I am not just plucking my opinions out of thin air. ;)

Well that's certainly not the feeling I get, I'm afraid. :nogood:

I totally agree. I live 45 minutes away from Manhattan and have several friends in the fashion industry and the consensus is that the new designs have gone astray. More misses than hits.

For me personally, I don't really like the new designs. I can't stand the Elvire-- or a/k/a Edith on crack as I call her. No offense to anyone who has her, I just think she is fugly. Same with the audra.

For me personally, I don't really like the new designs. I can't stand the Elvire-- or a/k/a Edith on crack as I call her. No offense to anyone who has her, I just think she is fugly. Same with the audra.

Yeah- I do not get the audra at all, in pictures it just looks like a blob of patent leather- I am sure it makes much more sense irl.

As for the Elvire, I don't love it, don't hate it, but I see it as a jazzed up version of the Mulberry Roxanne, don't know why, but it just reminds me of it.

Stranger though, if you look at this link to one of Megs purse blogs

http://forum.purseblog.com/blog-entries/mulberry-roxanne-by-giles-88642.html

does anyone else see a strong similarity between the audra and the god awful patent roxanne Megs was blogging about back in january?

YIKES!!!!!! Good eye Rubes? Is that a blatant rip-off of the Mulberry Roxanne or not? OMGOSH, Chloe is usually the trend setter in quirky purses or hummmm? which one actually came first? Does anyone know for sure?

I would imagine both would have had to be in the pipeline at the same time- the audra has been out for several months and mulberry have only gone a bit less traditional (imho) in the last season or so, though I could be wrong and the patent roxanne could be from last year which would be slightly suspect :confused1:.

Amazing that 2 different (generally great) design houses may have come up with the same heinous idea at the same time :tdown:

-And thanks Susie, but I do have to admit- it was a pure fluke that I stumbled across the patent roxanne ;)

Hmmm - that Mulberry is cuter than the Audra I have to admit - only because it is slightly less crazy. If only we didn't have to deal with questionable bags that appeal to a limited few and only drool over the "home runs". I still say it is important to keep an open eye and not reject something just because it is radically different from what you are used to.

I have only recently bought my first Paddy, but I did so because they were still around and after looking at/loving them for years I still love them and so I bought it. I am not really in a position to, or the kind of person to, just buy something with that kind of price tag because its the latest fad and will go out soon enough. I want to be sure Ill love what I buy forever. Ive never bought an "IT" bag when it was the biggest thing out. Most of the time I know it will pass and Ill no longer like it. Id rather do what I did with the paddy and just wait and see how long I love it for before taking the plunge. The other good thing is I dont see as many "clones" around copied by other brands as when it first came out. This is also a good thing.

^^ me too!!! :tup:

I still say it is important to keep an open eye and not reject something just because it is radically different from what you are used to.

ITA. :yes:

I don't have a problem with 'different', personally, in fact, as long as it is well-designed, I thrive on it! :biggrin:

Actually, if anyone could be bothered to trawl though my posts (as if! :lol: ) to see what I tend to give the thumbs up to on this forum (and the other one I post on), they would see that it is often the things that most other people seem to find too challenging, or OTT.

For example, on the other forum I mentioned, I was one of the relatively few to immediately like many of the pieces from the SS '08 Prada and Miu Miu collections and on this forum, I appear to be one of the only ones who likes the geometric Fendi To You (in its clutch form).

But I do think that a design house should remain true to its original aesthetic, which in Chloe's case is the pretty broad aesthetic of 'soft and feminine'.

That's not to say that Chloe can't also be edgy, or quirky, or punky, or dark, too. :nogood:

It is just that adding a bit of superfluous frou, cannot cover the fact that PMA's core aesthetic is hard and masculine, which is, obviously, the antithesis of soft and feminine.

Whilst hard and masculine may be a valid look for some houses, that is simply not the core Chloe aesthetic. :nogood:

Also, I don't think any of this is particularly different (talking in general about PMA's collections). Yes it's different for Chloe, but different in general? I can't see how.

You are right, chloehandbags. There is no excusing some of this dreck from Paolo - or however he spells it. I guess I will just continue buying rehashes of past successes. Or new colorways and materials. I can't seem to move on to another brand. Besides - I like everybody here a lot!!!

Out of all my handbags - LV, Balenciaga, Chanel, etc - the ONLY bag that has received notice/compliments from my husband or non-bag connoisseurs has been my paddington. People stop and comment on how unique it is, how lovely the leather is.

The only reason that some people in the fashion industry consider the paddington dated is because the current line is so poorly modeled. The currents styles are not so attractive and it actually diminishes the allure of the paddington. If Chloe had produced an interested/"IT" bag status line this year everyone would still be "oooohing" and "aaaahing" over past lines.

That is where, I think, Balenciaga has the perfect business model. The maintain the same shape of their popular model but they just make varying color every year. Color is their big asset. LV's biggest asset is their logo...Chanel's their puffed leather, etc. Chloe's is their leather. They need to stick to the models that compliment the leather.

I love paddingtons and think they will absolutely become vintage chic! I actually wish they would stop producing them in the department store so they become more rare!

You are right, chloehandbags. There is no excusing some of this dreck from Paolo - or however he spells it. I guess I will just continue buying rehashes of past successes. Or new colorways and materials. I can't seem to move on to another brand. Besides - I like everybody here a lot!!!

Yes, I know the feeling! :lol:

I have been completely 'disloyal' to Chloe for the past couple of years (buying other brands) and I sometimes feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall; but I keep coming back to root for 'her', for some reason?! :shrugs:

Like she's an old friend with an unsuitable new BF! :lol: :rolleyes:

Oh and ITA, Chloe girls are the best, aren't they? :tup:

If Chloe had produced an interested/"IT" bag status line this year everyone would still be "oooohing" and "aaaahing" over past lines.

Excellent point! :tup:

Whether a design house is popular for its most current lines, or not, affects how respected its older lines are.

This is ridiculous, as people should judge every line/item on its individual merits, but brand snobbery always seems to persist. :sad:

Good to see you back, however briefly, lg! :flowers:

I had a similar encounter...not as bad as the initial thread starter...and the saleperson wasn't knocking my bag...just other brands in general. I was in Hermes the other day looking at their bags. Had never really ventured in their store before...but was curious.

The bags in this particular store...well, nothing really caught my eye, only the price tag!!! But the SA started going on about how it's better to spend $4,000 on one bag that is a classic and that will last forever, stay in style for ever...instead of buying a whole bunch of bags like Chloe (she did say Chloe!!!) that are not of the same quality, not classic, etc...

My opinion, I would rather have several bags...to change up with the outfit, instead of one expensive bag.

I mean, I know SAs should be proud of the products they sell and try to convince buyers why their product is better than the others...but looking at some of your responses...the SAs just need to do it with more class.