Rodney King has been shot

1. Rodney King's Been Shot!

Posted Nov 29th 2007 2:26PM by TMZ Staff
    Filed under: Celebrity Justice
    [​IMG]Rodney King, famous for a videotaped beating from Los Angeles police back in 1991, was shot and wounded on a San Bernardino street corner late Wednesday.

King called Rialto police just before midnight to report the shooting. According to Sgt. Don Lewis, King was struck in the face and arm -- with what appeared to be pellets or birdshot. When police arrived at King's home, they reported that King and others inside appeared drunk. The man got shot in the face -- he deserves a drink!

King was taken to a local hospital, and his wounds were not believed to be life-threatening.

2. what the he77 were these men doing drinking w/ any type of firearm's around? I wonder if anyone was arrested?

3. Poor Rodney King.

Can't they all just get along?

4. I think I am the only person on the PLANET that has never seen the video of Rodney King being beaten. Seriously. When it happened, every time it was on television I turned if off. To this DAY I have never seen it. Some news junkie I am, eh? :p

5. ^ it was a bad beating. Hope he is OK. Hope this turns out to be really small news.

6. Roo, I cannot stand to watch it, everytime it was coming on I turned it. Makes me sick:sad:

But so does this news, seems pretty stupid to be drinking w/ guys who handle firearms while intoxicated.

7. I've never watched the footage of his beating and I don't really want to.
    I hope he's okay though.

8. So he was shot by his friend?? That is just too bad. Hope he is ok.

9. Rodney was never a saint by any stretch of the imagination - he has a history of robbery, burglary and other convictions. However, he didn't deserve the severe beating he received from the LAPD.

As for this latest incident in his life; perhaps this will serve as a wake up call for him to get it together.

10. I remember the riots this whole thing (the taped beating) caused. I worked at the local hospital nights, as a security officer, and the respitory therapist on call and I watched it on the TV in the break room. I remember all I could say was "Oh, my gods." over and over. To this day I think those damn cops got off light for what was totally un-nessesary force in detaining him. Roo, you are smart not to have watched it, I can still see it in my head.

It's sad though, Rodney King has been arrested several times since then for drug and alcohol abuse, putting himself in negative light. But he did show grace and humanitariansm when he went on national TV and begged everyone to just get along.

I also remember the trial of the three guys who beat that trucker, Denny something... he was so forgiving, saying it happened in the heat of the moment and asked the judge to be leniant on the men. He even hugged their mothers.

11. I happened to be living in LA at the time the riot broke out - I was living near the corner of Washington and Western (ground zero). It was a shocking thing to experience all that rioting and I had no idea it was coming.

I remember the afternoon the verdict from the first trial was announced (by the way, two of those officers were later found guilty in a federal trial and sentenced to a bit over 2 years in prison): I had gone up to the supermarket to buy some stuff and when I arrived the manager was chaining the door up! I asked him, "What's going on?" He replied, "Those cops that beat Rodney King were acquitted!" I didn't think much of it at the time and just went back home. However, on my way back I did notice that some people were very angry about the outcome. But, nothing had really happened yet, nor did I expect it to.

Well, come nightfall I looked out my window to see that the shopping center was on fire! Me being the curious sort I had to walk up there to take a closer look. What I saw was people smashing store windows; people running in and out of burning stores with arm-loads of stuff; people with guns shooting at passing police cars! It was like a war had broken out, and quickly it spread from square mile to square mile until it engulfed most of the southern part of the city.

I had to stay there for three days - big city dweller with no need for a car at the time - until it was finally quiet enough for my then girlfriend to come get me and take me out to canyon country.

12. OMG honey, I am so glad you are okay. 53 people lost their lives in those three days. I remember Sam and I said it had to be the closest thing to being in a war right then.

That's right, I had forgotten that two of the officers had been found guilty of other offenses, I do know this tainted the public's view of the LA PD for a long time. Seriously, one cannot blame people for acting like this when it all seemed so unfair.

Although many viewed it as a race issue, I saw it as a human rights issue.

13. That was a very sad situation back then.

Hope he's okay.

14. OMG.......what a %@$#!& winner!!!!! :rolleyes:

15. Wow, i never noticed how good looking he is. when I hear his name i think of some scruffy old man.

I think its better to get drunk at home