RIP Laptop

i just bought a new laptop over the weekend - i'm in college, so my laptop was on basically 24/7 and always being used. i had had it for almost 3 years, and i could tell it was starting to go down hill, so i got a new one before it completely crapped out on me.

i work at Best Buy, and i took an informal poll of everyone in our computer department and 'geek squad' (computer repair guys) and they unanimously told me to get the HP Pavillion dv6000, which i got. mine's limited edition, so it's all white and silver. gorgeous! i tried to con them into telling me i needed a Sony Vaio because they're pretty, but i hadn't seen this one yet. it's just as pretty and has so far been soooo easy to get used to. even Windows Vista is not as different as i expected it to be. hope that helps!

I've just only started considering getting a laptop for leisure use, so what are some recommendations for the following considerations:

- pretty
- light weight
- don't need a workhorse, just sufficient for basic web browsing and minimal office applications

Sony Vaios are prolly perfect for me, just that they're more ex, and whatever I save goes into my "next bag" fund, hence my willingness to shave costs off.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! :yes:

I've just only started considering getting a laptop for leisure use, so what are some recommendations for the following considerations:

- pretty
- light weight
- don't need a workhorse, just sufficient for basic web browsing and minimal office applications

Sony Vaios are prolly perfect for me, just that they're more ex, and whatever I save goes into my "next bag" fund, hence my willingness to shave costs off.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! :yes:

i wanted a vaio, too, and asked the folks at work about them and they said that they're overpriced for what you get. many companies are starting to make prettier computers to compete with Mac, so i'd look into those. my HP is beeeeeeeautiful because i got the 'special edition' colors that come with some additional features over the regular one.

My son has just had a major problem with Dell.

I would recommend that you stick with XP and don't buy a laptop which has Vista pre-installed, if you look at the Dell site you will see a whole heap of problems.

I know you are in Germany, I had a fabulous laptop built by AJP Computers: notebook PCs. It is absolutely superb, at the time they won Best Laptop in the UK, which is why I decided to look at the site. Built to order, rather than ready to be shipped. If there are any price changes or offers in between the order and delivery, they advise you and deduct accordingly. Although I suppose there is always a chance it could go the other way. Because costs of components change daily, they are constantly shifting prices. Within a few days or order they contacted me saying it would be £300 cheaper. That was a real bonus.

I would definitely recommend.

^^ mine is a sony vaio, s150, one of the super sexy sleek tiny ones sony came out with a few years ago. all their laptops before then were kind of clunky, imo. unfortunately, everyone in my family has always been sony vaio fans, and that's basically all we've owned, and the same problems have consistently come up, REPEATEDLY, regardless of how old/new the laptop is...the same probs eventually emerge! so in my search for a new laptop, i've been trying to look around also but the sexiness of the sony vaios always draw me in; i'm trying so hard to stay away!!!

i'm currently looking at the fujitsu lifebooks - they're pretty gorgeous and have gotten great reviews. i think for a reliable but definitely not sexy laptop, thinkpads are good (lenovo). my very computer/tech-saavy SO recommends asus, but they have really short battery life. can you tell i've done my research? lol...it all depends on knowing the specifications you want/need and finding one that matches (and looks good!).

^ I have a fujitsu..I LOVE it!!!n it so small and light..I got mine that 12.5" well, it's a bit pricy..but I love it..
Sadly, I just made it a lil bit crack>.<' I unpurposely (for sure, duh!) dropped it at the airport:crybaby: but it still works fine, even after i dropped it 2 times more.LOL! forgive my careless..

Since I have had it for about 2 yrs, i want to change into sony pink vaio!LOL what a coincidence...but still not sure though, since i always spend my money on bags..:graucho::graucho:

Instead of new laptop, i should look for a new mouse, but i always dont feel like to go to an electronic store;p..mine has just broken dunno why>.<'

I know!! I went to google it after your first post. It is pretty! :yes: Just gotta get the bf to find out how much it's gonna cost me :biggrin:

the exact model number of mine is dv6258se, and it normally retails for $1200USD but i got mine for $1050 because it was on sale (my employee discount usually doesn't help on laptops since most retailers sell them with very little margin).

I can't seem to find out how much the dv6258se retails for in Singapore though... :s

On a side note, I read that retailers are gonna sell off their XP pcs and laptops at lower prices, with the introduction of Vista, and that we shouldn't be "conned" into purchasing XP systems.

But does that really matter if I don't mind using XP for just surfing the Internet and playing simple games?