Rigidie Kelly - slouch factor

Woopsie....I threw you into the mix, Bagg but I meant just for the Epsom. I know you have a passion for your Vache Ligee PB!!!!!

Mrs.....I think I meant to say (man my brain cells are past working tonight!) that the 28cm Chevre Rigide is somewhat flexible but NOT due to the construction....... more so because of the leather. Typically, ridige construction makes the bag more "stiff" than the souple construction which is sewn on the inside and then turned. Oh boy....I don't think I'm explaining this very well.....Bagg? HG? SOS! SOS! (where's that little smilie when I need it?????)
Sellier construction is also rigid because an extra layer of leather is added to give the bag its stiffness and not solely from the stitching method. Retourne must be soft otherwise it would be impossible to turn it inside out. BTW, that's what retourne means "to flip over". Sellier means "saddle" which is the type of stitching used by Hermes, and for which its famous for.

Also, someone mentioned that epson seems artificial. Well...............it is not a naturally grained leather, but rather embossed. The grain is pressed into the leather, by doing so the process also compressed the leather fibers. You will find after studying the leathers that most compressed leathers are stiff, the one exception is vache liegee, which I was informed is a natural grained leather. However, someone had mentioned on here that vache liegee is stretched and that would explain the stiffness, as the fibers would also be compressed in the process.

Sellier construction is also rigid because an extra layer of leather is added to give the bag its stiffness and not solely from the stitching method. Retourne must be soft otherwise it would be impossible to turn it inside out. BTW, that's what retourne means "to flip over". Sellier means "saddle" which is the type of stitching used by Hermes, and for which its famous for.

Also, someone mentioned that epson seems artificial. Well...............it is not a naturally grained leather, but rather embossed. The grain is pressed into the leather, by doing so the process also compressed the leather fibers. You will find after studying the leathers that most compressed leathers are stiff, the one exception is vache liegee, which I was informed is a natural grained leather. However, someone had mentioned on here that vache liegee is stretched and that would explain the stiffness, as the fibers would also be compressed in the process.

Thanks, HG. ^^That is alot of knowledege in your post. I really appreciate it. Regarding Vache Liegee, from what I can tell it looks like a natural grained leather indeed. It would be so hard to try emboss the grains onto a smooth leather like that of VL. Not unless someone wants to make a point and develop a "cultured" textured leather. To me, it's way too much work, as textured leathers like togo and clemence look great as they are.

Yes, I remember reading a post here that VL is stretched 6 different ways to 'smoothen' it out. This probably explains why the VL is smooth to the touch. It's as if there is a laminate layer over the textured leather.

So you think Vache Liegee is good for a Sellier Kelly?

Thanks, HG. ^^That is alot of knowledege in your post. I really appreciate it. Regarding Vache Liegee, from what I can tell it looks like a natural grained leather indeed. It would be so hard to try emboss the grains onto a smooth leather like that of VL. Not unless someone wants to make a point and develop a "cultured" textured leather. To me, it's way too much work, as textured leathers like togo and clemence look great as they are.

Yes, I remember reading a post here that VL is stretched 6 different ways to 'smoothen' it out. This probably explains why the VL is smooth to the touch. It's as if there is a laminate layer over the textured leather.

So you think Vache Liegee is good for a Sellier Kelly?
There might be a laminate on vache liegee, I have been told its dyed in a 2 dye process. Vache liegee in a sellier Kelly will be very similar to box in slouch.

mrssparkles,

I have a Sellier Vache Liegee Kelly and as HG advised you, that baby is not going to slouch at ALL. It sounds like that would be a great choice for you.

Hermesgroupie, how do you know all this stuff?! It's amazing, and especially helpful for someone like me who is aiming (staggering, more like it!) towards the bottom rung of the hermes bag ladder! Thanks so much for all the useful stuff you tell us.

Spinster....I have to be right up front with you. I feel like I'm reading posts my 16 year old would write in her MySpace. Are you TRYING to piss people off? Do you KNOW Flossyfigaro personally? I don't. But she has been nothing but kind and informative on this Forum. From now on I am not interested in anything you have to say about anything.