Retourne vs. Sellier Kellys

pianoprincess said:
sorry to chime in again, but from this picture it looks like this kelly IS a sellier and not a retourne. it is epsom, and i don't think retournes are made out of epsom at all. im pretty sure it is a sellier, so if this is the look you love, then go for it. all kellys retourne or sellier can be buttoned down with the straps loose, i have both retournes and sellier...so this much I am sure of because that's how I carry mine!

Thank you pianoprincess. Kellys are quite beautiful either way. Graphite or etain. I saw another TPFer's Amazone in graphite and it's beautiful. Gosh, temptations, temptations...

Thank you pianoprincess. Kellys are quite beautiful either way. Graphite or etain. I saw another TPFer's Amazone in graphite and it's beautiful. Gosh, temptations, temptations...

i happen to have a amazone too, but thats very casual !so you really have to decide if you want a casual look or a dressed up look... what would suit your lifestyle and wardrobe best?

i was not a sellier person util i saw a 35cm sellier and it looks so much more in shape and architectural almost its almost the ultimate kelly

Last edited:
pianoprincess said:
i happen to have a amazone too, but thats very casual !so you really have to decide if you want a casual look or a dressed up look... what would suit your lifestyle and wardrobe best?

Wow! You must love Kellys very much. I'm only 4 mths into the H world and it's going to be my first Kelly. Thank you for your advice :hugs:

I happen to get an amazone etain clemance kelly recently and it's my first H bag. It's very casual so I can carry it pretty much anywhere and it's still quite dressy once I took the strap off. However now I want an espom sellier in bright color!
The bag in your picture is gorgeous! :love:

1807374d1343225928-retourne-vs-sellier-kellys-image-1715783312.jpg
Thanks hair-mess! Love....hmm this was the look that caught my eye. Kelly unflapped but buttoned down. It reminds me of guys or musicians who have loosened their ties or black bows and relaxing over a drink.handsome but relaxed.

Can sellier Ks do this?

This is a super look and the easiest way to carry Kelly. Here is another that is what I call the semi-formal look i.e. one strap latched on the the other hanging. It reminds me of this: has the tie on, but not fastened up all the way:cool:

images

A Kelly from S'Mom, the Queen of Cool!

145548d1174012963-the-kelly-and-jpg-kelly-pics-only-_mg_3799marron1.jpg

Thanks hair-mess! Love....hmm this was the look that caught my eye. Kelly unflapped but buttoned down. It reminds me of guys or musicians who have loosened their ties or black bows and relaxing over a drink.handsome but relaxed.

Can sellier Ks do this?

this picture is a kelly retourne in epsom. and yes sellier K can do this look very well. if you like this structured rigide look, then yes go for either the sellier kelly, which will never slouch no matter what the leather, or retourne in box or epsom ie the stiffer leather. retourne kellys in clemence, togo, swift, fjord in a size 35 will definitely slouch...

ultimately it really depends on the look you prefer for your kelly! sellier is more formal and dressier whilst retourne is casual and sportier..check out the reference and clubhouse threads for kellys..good luck and let us know what you decide!

You are all darlings. Thank you mimi123!

Thanks gracekelly. Yes! That's the look.

Thanks chincac. I'll do a reveal on Ban Island soon once I finish the H tennis.

I have Kelly 32 gold Togo retourne. Now I want Kelly 35 black for everyday use. Which one fit my needs, Kelly 35 black box sellier or Kelly 35 black swift/togo retourne? I need all of your advices. Thanks in advance :smile:

As an everyday bag, I vote for the 35 black retourne in togo. It has better resistance to scratches than box or swift and is just a bit more accessible than the sellier. Good luck in your choice!

I agree with Plumtree, I have a 35 black retourne in Togo and it is my favorite Kelly for everyday use. It's my second oldest, my workhorse and still looks fabulous!

I echo Plumtree, Mrs Rance. The retourné style is effortless and more casual at that size. tend to fasten the straps UNDER the flap (the flap is shut last), which can make it easier to get in and out of as well. Because of the "give" of the retourné style, I can open the flap and slip my hand in, drawing out whatever small thing is needed.

A 35cm Black Box Kelly is such a thing of eternal beauty.

Another note regarding box—my bag is from 1995, and it looks spectacular. "Patina"—which is created out of the scuffs/scratched of a loved (not abused) bag—is extraordinary in box. There's no need to be afraid of box.

BalLVLover said:
I agree with Plumtree, I have a 35 black retourne in Togo and it is my favorite Kelly for everyday use. It's my second oldest, my workhorse and still looks fabulous!

Thank you for your info BalLVLover :flowers: I wish I had the privilege to try both retourne and sellier :girlsigh: