Retourne vs. Sellier Kellys

birkincurious

Sep 18, 2006
Dumb question of the day. I was looking at the reference guide and saw pictures but no text, so forgive me if this is redundant.

What is the difference between a sellier and retourne kelly?

Thanks.

attachment.php

Retourne (photo courtesy of the famous LV Addict) GORGEOUS KELLY!

More of a relaxed look in the Kelly. If you look closely, it may appear to the eye that you have piping of leather on the sides.

Kelly4.jpg

Sellier (photo courtesy of AuthenticLux posted in Ref. Thread)

More of a rigid look on the sides. Does it look a bit pointed, firm, stiffer to you? See the outside stitching? This does not have the piping.

Stunning bag to say the least.

Did I help?

The stitching for Retourne (souple) Kellys is on the inside; whereas with Sellier (rigide) Kellys, it is on the outside--gives it a sharper, more defined edge and a more formal look. Also makes it a bit larger in appearance; comparing a 32cm Sellier and a 32 Retourne--the Sellier almost always looks a bit bigger or boxier than the Retourne. Sellier usually renders a Kelly more expensive as well due to the extra labor involved. Here's a 32cm Black Box Sellier courtesy of Dressage Queen:

Attachments

• P1010603.jpg
    P1010603.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 6,544
The easiest way for me to recognize it is...
Outside stitch = Rigid = Sellier.
The inside stitch = Souple = Retourne = mou

The outside stitch is harder to do and it will cost more compared to the inside stitch :smile:

The easiest way for me to recognize it is...
Outside stitch = Rigid = Sellier.
The inside stitch = Souple = Retourne = mou

The outside stitch is harder to do and it will cost more compared to the inside stitch :smile:

I might be wrong but I think the term "mou" needs to be used a bit more discerningly. From what I gathered, "mou" is used for a Kelly where the leather used is a souple one, but in the sellier style.