Retail buyers - help please!

1. I have to choose my courses to take for grade 12 next year & I'm so stressed out, since this will be affecting my chances at university.

Anyways I decided the perfect job for me would be a retail buyer (for a clothing store), since I love fashion, shopping, & traveling hehe.
    What courses will I be needing to take in university? :confused1: Would it be more of the business/marketing areas or fashion [merchandising] ?

& if any of you work as a retail buyer, any tips for me? I have never had a job before, and will probably get my first this summer. I think it would be a good idea to get a job in retail. I've heard many people say that retail sucks so I'm a bit nervous about it lol.

2. i worked as a buyer for macy's and my tip is.. the job can be glamorous but may not be as glamorous as you think. Depending on what company you work for, you may not always be the buyer that gets to travel and go to market and it IS a lot of numbers crunching and negotiating.

btw, i took fashion merchandising as my major at FIDM.

3. A strong math background is needed. A few of my friends were accounting majors in college and they were the ones that were hired as buyers in the big NY department stores. But it was a numbers job, they did not actually have anything to do with going and deciding what to buy...... Not that they would even know what to buy--they were not in to fashion. Fashion merchandising can offer you a lot of options in jobs but dream jobs are not that easy to find.
    A few of my friends do window displays and displays for the big stores but even that is becoming less creative as corp. seems to have a design concept that all should have the same theme and they don't seem to really get to step out of the box as much as they did years ago.

4. I think it would be fun to be a retail buyer but only if it was for a store or stores I owned.

Business and marketing courses would be a big help if you decide to go solo. You'll have time for those and the fashion classes over the next four years.

5. Ditto that...Business and marketing courses will help guide you thru your choices.Once you start these courses..you'll see if its really what you like to do.Lots of peeps change their majors....the only way to find out if you like somethin is to try it..Good luck..let us know how you choose!

6. Thanks everyone..
    hmm now I'm not sure if that's really what I want to do lol (I keep changing my mind!) because I don't want to get into Business/Maths. But I did take it next year so I'll see how that goes :smile:

7. My husband was a buyer and is now a vendor. He majored in Finance and Management w/a minor in Art History.

My brother-in-law is also a buyer. He also has a business degree.