Resource: Hermes Bag Trivia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think by now the stories of how the Kelly, Birkin, and HAC came to be are now legend. Just wanted to add some history on the other bags. If anyone has anymore trivia please add.

Evelyn: Based on the bag worn by stable boys to carry the grooming equipment for horses. The holes were to allow the equipment to dry. Hermes designed the bag with the holes in an "H" pattern. It was actually meant to be worn with the H against the body.

Picotin: Designed after the feedbag for horses. The handles were meant to be looped around the horse's ears.

Garden Party: Based on a gardener's bag, which was used to carry gardening implements.

Mangeoire: Another bag based on a feedbag.

Bolide: First known as the Bugatti. Designed because the owner of Hermes' wife complained she could not find an appropriate bag to carry in the new fangled invention called the car.

Plume: Translates into feather. Based on the bag used to carry blankets.

Constance: Named after the designer's daughter

Yeoh: Named after Michelle Yeoh

Sandrine: I thought this was cool. Named after Jean-Louis's daughter.
    eBay: Authentic Hermes Sandrine Shoulder Purse Bag (item 130017206024 end time Aug-21-06 18:45:44 PDT)
  2. Wonderful history! I heard the Trim was a feedbag for horses too. Is that true?
  3. Not sure, but it makes sense. A lot of Hermes's bags are based on equestrian related items.

Keep adding them ladies!!!
  4. I did not know that! So, that's why the snap faces the "other way", I always wondered why.
  5. I also have read that Emile-Maurice incorporated the zipper for the first time in a handbag, when designing the Bolide, after a trip to Canada,where the zipper was invented. (1920ish) Apparently he took the patent back to France for the zipper.
  6. ^ thats true.....

the texture on the orange boxes and carrier bags is meant to mimic orange pig-skin.
  7. Kristie, thanks, I did not know that.:flowers:

Someone had posted on another thread that the orange boxes came into being during WWII. The only color available was orange. After the war it became a tradition.

Keep adding the trivia, that's what this forum was for.
  8. TG, if you look at some major design houses, they had their starts as saddle makers. Gucci, Longchamp, Celine, and Hermes all started making saddles and changed their course when the mode of transportation also changed.
  9. Does anyone know how and when the Hermes logo of a horse-drawn carriage came into existance? and what is the signifigance of the man standing in front?

10. Someone told me that Hermes used to help Chanel out by helping them put on the zippers on their clothes when they first came out...
  11. Temo, I have a vintage belt buckle from the 1940s where that logo is present. I have been looking at vintage ads and see the logo start to appear around that time. I believe the man is supposed to be the driver for the horse and buggy?

I dug up this old thread for more trivia. It delves into the box history with more detail:
  12. Yep -- we can thank the horses for H bags. Hermes actually began in 1837 as a wholesale harness shop supplying coach builders -- Saddlery was added to the line in 1879. And Hermes continues to be one of the very best saddles on the market, handmade from beginning to end from lucious leather.

My horses enjoy a lovely Corlandus saddle -- and for all the hours I've spent in in I'd say it's one of the best uses of my money I've ever made. I've always found it ironic that a saddle costs less than a purse . . . .

Anyway, the horses have an Hermes -- now it's my turn! (See you on the "Authenticate" board.)
  13. Thanks so much! I find Hermes trivia and history so very interesting!
    I have always heard that Hermes started out as a saddlery. Thus I couldn't understand the logo of a coach. But now, that makes sense if the saddlery was added to the harness line in 1879. BTW, there is a Remington museum in southern Alberta, where they have 65,000 sq ft of horse-drawn carriages & other horse memorbilia. (I'll bet there would be some interesting Hermes history there!) One day I'll go there to check it out. Anyway, HG & DQ thanks so much for the tidbits of history info! Keep it coming!
  14. I researched my archives and found that the logo of the horse and driver are based on a drawing by Alfred de Dreux, entitled Duc Attele, Groom a L'Attente. It became the logo for Hermes in September 7, 1945.
  15. here's some from an old vogue....tore this out about 10 years ago, so the facts may not be accurate....

The most paid ever for an Hermes Bag: US$700,000 - JFK's briefcase, sold at auction.

There are over 2600 stitches in a Kelly bag. It takes 18 hours to make a Birkin, 13 to make a Kelly.

You can supply your own material: The company has a dream-team of eight craftsman who work on special projects.

The sturdy, chic Hermes canvas (toile) used for Trim and Birkin bags (among others) is actually fire-hose material.

The material "Amazonia" is a rubber sourced from the hevea tree by the Yawanawas tribe in Brazil

The graduating "thesis" for every hopeful Hermes craftman is the perfect Kelly bag.

All reject bags, no matter how small the imperfections, are destroyed.

Most handbag craftsmen are women under the age of 30.

You can request a particular craftsman when ordering a bag.

You can design your own Hermes bag: A japanese businessman, Mr Tanaka, created a piece of luggage to give as presents; Dumas liked the design so much the Tanaka bag is now part of the luggage line.

Hermes bags are made to last a lifetime: One woman took her Kelly on Safari and an elephant stepped on it. Claude Gandrille, the master craftsman at the New York City store put it back together again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.