Research your beauty products INGREDIENTS

1. Everyone, you should be shocked to find out that there are many ingredients in our beauty products that are not assessed or approved by the FDA... in fact the FDA is not required to approve the ingredients:

"...a cosmetic manufacturer may use almost any raw material as a cosmetic ingredient and market the product without an approval from FDA" (FDA 1995).

So ladies, please visit this site:
    EWG Report || Skin Deep

and read all the information on here. It's definitely shocking to see what kind of side effects a lot of these ingredients to our skin, and to our own bodies. And what's EVEN MORE SHOCKING is that many of these ingredients are in practically every beauty product we use (25 for the average woman)!!!

Read WHY THIS MATTERS:
    EWG Report || Skin Deep

And look up your beauty product! You can search for make-up, skin care, hair care, nail care, eye care, dental/oral care, & perfume/cologne.

I highly recommend everyone to read up on this and take care of your skin. =) They have most major brands on this site and it rates the product/brand by CONCERN IN PRODUCT TYPE from a scale of 0-5!

Knowledge is power! Spread the word people, and let's take care of our bodies with the products we use! :yes:

2. Just because an ingredient is approved by the FDA doesn't instantly mean its good for your skin either.

3. That's true, but these chemicals in the products we use should atleast be researched and analyzed to determine whether or not they are good for your skin. The FDA is not required to do so, but this website gives you information about these chemicals, and what kind of side effects/diseases they can be and/or are linked to.

4. It looks like everything I use is bad!! But I do not like most natural products as they break me out!!! What's a girl to do!! I guess I am just going to end up with cancer from everything I do!!!!!

5. Yet another alarmist organization IMO and cosmetics are in fact FDA regulated. Read the findings - things MAY cause cancer or are SUSPECTED of blah, blah, blah. Just about everything is bad for you and/or the environment in large enough quantities. Maybe if I was ingesting several lipsticks and eyeshadows a day, I might be concerned. I'm going to powder my nose now :p

6. The FDA has banned 9 ingredients from being used in our personal care items, by comparison the Europeans have banned over 1400.
    This is why I am so picky about what goes on my skin and the products I use around my house for cleaning. It takes less than a minute for something to absorb into your skin and once it's there it's in your blood and then off to every organ in your body.

dreamgirl...most "natural products also use many ingredients that aren't natural. But in addition to that...mineral oil is natural and is not good for your skin, certain forms or urea come from cow pee, lanolin is essentially sheep sweat. i could go on and on...bottomline, natural does not automatically mean good for you.
    I have done a ton of research into different product lines and there are only a couple that I promote...
    Arbonne Int'l * love this line so much that I am now an active consultant
    Melaleuca * I only use their home cleaning products because their skin care line uses fragrance, dyes, and animal products.
    It is really important to check out your products since no one else is looking for us it's left up to us to protect ourselves from these toxins!!

7. ^I didn't know melaleuca was still around, I used this in high school for acne. worked like a charm!! I do know about mineral oil and lanolin and such. I just think you can go too far either way. Two words COMMON SENSE!!

8. Ok, have a question, is there another website on this that you can look up specific ingredients?

9. I just wanted to share this info with the tpfers, whether or not if you agree or if you care about the chemicals that are absorbed by your skin, that's up to you. Yes it "may" or is "suspected to" cause damage, etc... but if you think about it, the average woman uses atleast 15 beauty products a day from perfume to eyeshadow to deoderant... and that's just beauty products!

IMO people should be aware of what they are exposing their skin/eyes/lips/body to... and the ingredients in the products they use... just like how people are aware of what they eat - i.e. how much sodium or sugar is in a type of food/drink. We should eat foods with sodium/sugar with moderation... which is applied here also: We should be aware of the ingredients (chemicals) in the products we put on our skin.

Of course not all of us can turn to natural products, but I wanted to share this site so you guys can look up the products you're using.
    Whether or not you find it useful, that is all up to you.

I came across this site, because I have been switching from foundation/powder to other foundation/powders. Mainly because they cause me to break out, and I wanted to find out why. With this site, I was able to research the brands of foundations & powders I was using, and I am going to try some new products now. The ones on this site that are listed as "PRODUCT LOWEST CONCERNS", so hopefully this will help me with what I am putting onto my skin... ultimiately, your skin is absorbing whatever you put onto it!

10. You can search for ingredients on this site also.
    Where you type in search, just click the pull-down menu where it says "PRODUCTS" and select "INGREDIENTS".

11. It is so unfortunate that some groups want to stir up consumers' emotions using scare tactics in hopes of initiating lawsuits.
    Basic pharmacology:
    Most drugs are not amenable to transdermal mode of administration due to the well-known barrier properties of the skin. Molecules moving from the environment into and through intact skin must first penetrate the stratum-corneum. It is the stratum-corneum that presents the greatest barrier to absorption of topical compositions or transdermally administered drugs. The stratum-corneum, the outer horny layer of the skin, is a complex structure of compact keratinized cell remnants separated by lipid domains. Compared to the oral or gastric mucous, the stratum-corneum is much less permeable to outside molecules.

But this is a much less scientific explanation:

From food to face cream: the myths debunked | Uk News | News | Telegraph Dr Gary Moss, pharmacologist, University of Hertfordshire
    "Ingredients in cosmetics are normally quite large and cannot get across your skin and into your bloodstream."

12. According to the FDA cosmetics companies do NOT have to prove their claims or the efficacy of their products. The FDA also does NOT require safety documentation for cosmetics until AFTER the product has been brought to market and the FDA starts receiving consumer complaints.

In essence what this lack of regulations means is that cosmetics companies get to say just about anything they want to about their products (and they do:cursing: ) and the claims absolutely do not have to be true or have any substantial proof regarding what is being asserted.

anyone can check out: Food and Drug Administration Home Page
    and this website has a lot of info: Paula Begoun - The Cosmetics Cop - Paula's Choice

13. Thank you CassidyFit1 =)

While some companies make products that are safe to eat, other companies choose to use known human carcinogens or developmental toxins like coal tar and lead acetate. When risky chemicals are used in cosmetics, the stakes are high. These are not trace contaminants like those found at part-per-million or even part-per-billion levels in food and water. These are the base ingredients of the product, just as flour is an ingredient in bread. These chemicals are found in percent levels in personal care products, nearly all easily penetrate the skin, and some we ingest directly from our lips or hands.

Look, the website I put up, EWC.ORG, has A LOT OF information... read it if you want, don't read it if you don't care.

Some people in this world, seem to have naturally flawless skin... some people have different reactions, just like everyone has different allergies.

I am on the quest to having beautiful, natural skin, and while I have tried numerous beauty products... I want to try more "natural products" by looking up these products on this website, which analyzes the ingredients of personal care products.

Just like you want to know how much sugar is in a can of coke, or how much sodium is in that can of soup... if it is in your skin's best interest, you should want to know what you are placing on your skin. Atleast I DO, and I WANT TO because one day, I would like to have flawless skin without the application of medium coverage foundation! =)

14. Yes it is.
    I think both sides are important to review. I for one, do not believe the claims cosmetics companies make. If there really were such a thing as 'magic' wrinkle cream (or whatever the claim is), I believe that type of news would spread like wildfire.
    Yes it is true that the FDA does not require cosmetics and vitamins to obtain approval before being placed on the market. But these companies do have to follow specific regulations regarding ingredients used, good manufacturing practices and labeling requirements (including claims made on the packaging).
    The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) program was established in 1976 by the Cosmetics, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association, with the support of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Consumer Federation of America (CFA). CIR performs independent, expert reviews to determine if ingredients used in cosmetics are safe. CIR staff prepares summaries of available data and the CIR Expert Panel reviews the data in open, public meetings.
    If studies show that an ingredient is dangerous, it won't be allowed to be sold in the US. I personally don't agree with using scare tactics; it is one thing if they have scientific proof of these dangers, not just coincidence or possible tenuous links.