Reporting Fakes on eBay: Three Ways

I am new to all of this, but as I read tons on how to make sure something I want to sell is authentic, I saw your post on all the actions you can take when an item on ebay is not authentic.

I hope these steps are taken AFTER the seller of a suspected fake item it notified as to why their item is fake. I know myself, as an extremely honest person, who tries very hard to list everything about my product, I cannot know everything. I research and check things out, then describe what I found. I also state I am NOT an expert, can list what sites I used to find my information, and ask if you know a site or you know something about my product I don't, please let me know.

In fairness, you are all experts, and people selling on ebay are NOT experts in all areas and nor should they be expected to. Ebay encourages people to buy all kinds of items from different places. You can't be an expert in each area. But, I think all sellers ought do their best to research every product and be as honest as possible. So, using E-Bay as an example again, they have E-bay guides to how to spot fraudelent products-say a Kate Spade purse. The guide says you can spot a fake when: there are big or metal feet on purse, the tag should say from USA and metal tags were ONLY found one season and/or style. BUT none of that is true according to other professional sites. So is a person who bases their listings on the ebay guide a fraud?? Of they used another "authenticity" site? It's unfair and unrealistic.

I plan on being as informed as possible before selling an item, not because of making sure I sell more, but I want my sellers to have all the information I have, and not be disappointed. I will state my limitations. I will also expect buyers, the ones who are experts or those who want a high priced item cheap and therefore don't research, I expect THEM to be responsible buyers. They need to apply what they know to the item, and determine authenticity. OR research more or check other sites for authenticity. Then it would be nice if they let me know since it would help me and others, but if not, I would be HORRIFIED to be called a fraud and put on some list because I'm not perfect, but want to sell something I know is valuable, yet am not an expert.

While I HATE scammers and genuine frauds, I also HATE it when good people who are honest and do their best are slammed by people defending the products and beliefs they are passionate about.

Thank you.

As someone else stated above as well, Ebay specifically states that it is the seller's responsibility to determine the authenticity of their items. As a seller, you are not allowed to state that a bag "might be a Chanel" for example (I was just looking at Ebay's regulations last week and this type of posting isn't allowed). Ebay considers you responsible for determining whether your item is truly authentic.

I do not trust ebay. Does anyone know if ASOS and endless bags are all authentic, as never bought before from them.

I'm new to this site but I think that unless the vendor is an authorized seller, you can't be certain of an item's authenticity. I never would have questioned Asos, Endless, or Bluefly prior to reading this site! I'm so glad I found tpf. I was looking at items that were authenticated here and determined to be fake, yet they still sold for hundreds of dollars.

Mods, feel free to move this to the correct place, maybe I should have put it in the main ebay forum???

From another board, I have to share this!!! I wish I could take credit, but alas, I never knew there was more than one way, and its great because way #3 allows you to put in your information as to why, etc...

I am really happy about this, I only ever did number 1! We can do all three for one item. Its not that time consuming, and YAY, for those heinous fakes it seems a good investment of a little time.

Scenario 1: Report as a counterfeit
Step 1: Select "Counterfeits and copyright violations"
Step 2: Select "Potential trademark infringement"
Step 3: Select "Counterfeit clothing..."
Click on "Continue"
When next page appears, click on "Email us"
When next page appears, click on "Send"
After email is sent, go back to the first reporting screen.

Scenario 2: Report as listing violation
Step 1: Select "Listing policy violations"
Step 2: Select "Misleading title"
Step 3: Select "Intentionally misleading or deceptive titles"
Click on "Continue"

Scenario 3: Report as fraud
Step 1: Select "Fraudulent listings"
Step 2: Select "You suspect that a listing is fraudulent but you didn't bid"
Step 3: This box contains a message telling you to click on "Continue".
Click on Continue
When the next page appears, click on "Email us".
When the next page appears, you will see a box with the item number already input and a box titled ""Enter your question/concern". Write your reasons for believing that the article is fraudulent. ... I include the facts and language stating that the article is a fake, the seller is a fraudster and that eBay is complicit by allowing the seller to continue to list items.
Thank you

As someone else stated above as well, Ebay specifically states that it is the seller's responsibility to determine the authenticity of their items. As a seller, you are not allowed to state that a bag "might be a Chanel" for example (I was just looking at Ebay's regulations last week and this type of posting isn't allowed). Ebay considers you responsible for determining whether your item is truly authentic.
I was wondering if a Stella mccartmpney bag was authentic

I was wondering if reporting an item from more than one account would make it count twice?
To illustrate: My husband and I both have E-bay accounts. If I were very zealous about reporting fakes (I can be when I have time:smile: ) , I could right-click on "report item", fill out the info, then sign out of one account and into the other , hit refresh, and repeat.
My apologies if this has already been asked & answered.

My auction got shut down but it's not a fake!!!! I dont understand how my authentic got shut down and there are some REALLY obvious fakes that are still up!! !:sad:
I had a key chain from Coach outlet that I purchased myself and had the receipt. It was discounted because it was missing a snowflake. I listed it for sale on Ebay and received a really harsh email telling me if I listed it again I would be suspended! I just let this one go because the key chain didn't cost much. BUT now I see fake LV all of the time and spend time reporting it and NOTHING happens. I've done it by the 3 methods that someone suggested yet the listings remain. Last month I listed an authentic LV Eva and it sold for less than an obvious counterfeit Eva.The shape of the lettering was all wrong and the date code had it made in the future! This is really maddening...urgh

Hi, I saw a couple of ebay sellers of LC Autoir d'ha long bags in orange and yellow colors, they claim its authentic. Just wanted to ask if there are really such colors made by LC or are they fakes? Thanks!

Monique777 said:
I had a key chain from Coach outlet that I purchased myself and had the receipt. It was discounted because it was missing a snowflake. I listed it for sale on Ebay and received a really harsh email telling me if I listed it again I would be suspended! I just let this one go because the key chain didn't cost much. BUT now I see fake LV all of the time and spend time reporting it and NOTHING happens. I've done it by the 3 methods that someone suggested yet the listings remain. Last month I listed an authentic LV Eva and it sold for less than an obvious counterfeit Eva.The shape of the lettering was all wrong and the date code had it made in the future! This is really maddening...urgh

Wow that really is wrong on soooo many levels !:sad:

I know that others have posted this, but it bears repeating. If you are shopping on ebay, pay with American Express. If you happen to purchase a fake, that was represented to be authentic, American Express will work extra hard to get the transaction reversed. I have heard that other credit card companies "represent" the seller, but that American Express represents the purchaser. Whether this is true or not, I do not know. But I have had good--make that excellent-- luck with American Express with the one time I was scammed on ebay.

Number 3 doesn't always work. It depends on who's manning the reports. I've gotten emails back from the fraud unit that says they don't deal with any reports that already have reporting links, like the counterfeits, and that they have no way to forward the reports to the correct department. I have to give them credit, though, I've reported 3 big counterfeit sellers to fraud this week and they have been pulled.
Hi! I'm new to the forum. Bought my first Dooney bag from ebay. I got interested in their AWL vintage recently. My bag happens to be a fake. I paid $44 for it. When I emailed the TOP SELLER, she said I had buyer's remorse and that I should have read the description well. Nothing there says "replica", fake or counterfeit. I want buyers to know that this seller list counterfeits and describe them deceptively. Thanks.

Hi! I'm new to the forum. Bought my first Dooney bag from ebay. I got interested in their AWL vintage recently. My bag happens to be a fake. I paid $44 for it. When I emailed the TOP SELLER, she said I had buyer's remorse and that I should have read the description well. Nothing there says "replica", fake or counterfeit. I want buyers to know that this seller list counterfeits and describe them deceptively. Thanks.
Could you possibly PM me her E-bay member ID? TIA!

Originally Posted by CobaltBlu
Mods, feel free to move this to the correct place, maybe I should have put it in the main ebay forum???

From another board, I have to share this!!! I wish I could take credit, but alas, I never knew there was more than one way, and its great because way #3 allows you to put in your information as to why, etc...

I am really happy about this, I only ever did number 1! We can do all three for one item. Its not that time consuming, and YAY, for those heinous fakes it seems a good investment of a little time.

Scenario 1: Report as a counterfeit
Step 1: Select "Counterfeits and copyright violations"
Step 2: Select "Potential trademark infringement"
Step 3: Select "Counterfeit clothing..."
Click on "Continue"

Scenario 2: Report as listing violation
Step 1: Select "Listing policy violations"
Step 2: Select "Misleading title"
Step 3: Select "Intentionally misleading or deceptive titles"
Click on "Continue"

Scenario 3: Report as fraud
Step 1: Select "Fraudulent listings"
Step 2: Select "You suspect that a listing is fraudulent but you didn't bid"
Step 3: This box contains a message telling you to click on "Continue".
Click on Continue
When the next page appears, click on "Email us".
When the next page appears, you will see a box with the item number already input and a box titled ""Enter your question/concern". Write your reasons for believing that the article is fraudulent. ... I include the facts and language stating that the article is a fake, the seller is a fraudster and that eBay is complicit by allowing the seller to continue to list items.

Thank you
Yes, thank you for sharing this!! Had to reply to bump it to the top. :smile:
I've always reported using #1, but will use all 3 from now on. I have noticed lately it seems like it's taking longer than it used to (in the past few years), to see the fakes get pulled - IF they get pulled at all. Has anyone else noticed this?