Relationship question

1. If a couple keeps getting back together and breaking up does that mean they are meant to be together because they can't seem to stay apart or that they keep breaking up so it's a sign they shouldn't be together?

2. Could be a fear of having to find someone new so they keep going back to each other. Kinda hard to make an informed opinion without knowing the people

3. I guess it depends on how often the breaking up/getting back together occurs. I would say more than twice might indicate an inability to work through problems rationally, or that one person is being hurtful to another. I mean, you can't just break up over every little thing that upsets you. To be in a good relationship you need to be able to talk through problems. I agree with mooks that it may be a sign that the couple is comfortable with one another and gets back together, not out of love, but out of lack of better options.

4. It totally depends on the two people involved. My husband and I (now married 6 years) had dated for 4 years before we got married. During the first 1 1/2 years, we broke up and got back together about 7-8 times. It was a total emotional roller coaster and was a VERY difficult period. People ask me why in heck I had put up with all of it and worked so hard on the relationship.....my answer always is, "Because I knew that he was a good and kind person, he was just a diamond in the rough that needed quite A LOT of polishing." The break-ups were a necessary part of our journey to reaching a point where he realized just as much as I, that we were meant to be together.

We've been together 10 years, and he's consistently proven that he was worth all the hassle!

5. My ex and I split up and got back together 3 times over the course of 3 years and we ended up not being together and I still occasionally wonder if it was the right decision-- he still wants to try it again but I don't think it's worth it and have someone else now. It really does depend on the people involved. I've never seen people that get together and break up a lot, last. The relationship I mean, it never seems to last. Kristy's post AMAZES me, she's proven me wrong :smile:

6. I agree it depends on the people and the reasons. I can see it working if the people are mature and committed to a relationship and are able to make changes to the issues that are leading them to break up.

The two couples I know that did this weren't right for each other. They were like oil and water - didn't mix well. Both couples were a little immature to handle a relationship (all people involved didn't have any real long-term relationships). Also they didn't feel like they could give up on the relationship (I don't know if they were too afrain to find better) and stayed in it for way too long. Neither couple were able to work past the issues that kept leading them to break up so they stayed in this pattern.

7. I think it depends on the two people in the relationship, and the circumstances (ie, reason(s) for breaking up)... Personally, I have only gotten back together with an ex once... It did not work out, because it became long distance and too emotionally draining for me to deal with. I had other exes that I considered getting back together with within a few weeks after breaking it off, but never did... there were several reasons, but I have no regrets at all.

8. honestly, I think Kristy's post tells about the exception - sorry, I will be honest but if it happens a lot, you either need to be really convinced of the relship to get through this, or it just isn't meant to be.

9. It probably depends on the couple and why they are breaking up. If it is because they fight all the time, I would say they just get back together because it feels safe for them, but if they break up because one moves away or because of distance, or something that doesn't have to do with personality differences, and keep getting back together I'd say they really are trying to make it work and maybe they're meant to be?