Rejection Letters & Freebie

1. This is kind of a strange post so please bear with me. It is job-hunt related so please feel free to skip.

Anyways, I've been spending about 8 hours a day sending out resumes to any companies that have positions which fit my qualifications. Apparently, having a diversified background allowed me plenty of choices. I must have sent over 1000 resumes by now (I send over 100 everyday).

Well, I drove back to the other house today and checked my mailbox after not having checked it for 6 days. The result? A whole mailbox full of letters, most of which were rejection letters. It took me an hour to rip up everything (didn't have a shredder at this house). It was a rather discouraging and humbling experience (as if I needed any more humbling:rolleyes:).

What I don't understand was why was I having such a rough time finding a job? The last time I was unemployed, I found my job as a financial analyst within 4 weeks, and that was when I didn't even have the experirence and qualifications that I have now. People kept saying that the job market was good, and I have headhunters as well as people in executive level that said I have great qualifications, yet I hadn't gotten anywhere in my job search. Quite honestly, I was baffled. I don't know what i was doing wrong.

But anyways, onward to the freebie part of the post. that was my highlight of the day, which is pretty pathetic. But anyways, one of the companies I submitted my CV to was Blistex (was hoping that they might have an analyst position open). They sent me back a package, and inside the package they thanked me for my interest and that because I was interested in them, they were giving me a Blistex Lipbalm as a token of thanks.

I know, it was only a lipbalm, but it did make me feel slightly better, as silly as it may seem. I know it sounds silly to be excited over a lipbalm, but this was really the first time anything like that has ever happened. ^^
  2. So sorry you're having a difficult time finding a new job. God always opens another door when He closes one. Have a faith and everything will be OK. Drinking too much never does any good IMO. *hugs*
  3. You've only been unemployed a short time. Keep plugging away. The average it is said it takes to find a new job is 1-3 months.
  4. I'm so sorry for you. Hope you find something soon.
  5. That was nice of them to send a lip balm!

Hang in there! I'm sorry to hear it is taking longer than you expected to get a job. Perhaps you should modify your resume altogether. Don't certain companies look for certain words and pull out those resumes? I have a resume book somewhere and when I was looking for a job years ago, I remember reading that you really need to have several different resume formats and if one doesn't seem to work, to send out another version.

Good luck!
  6. Hahaha well at least if you go broke you'll have that free blistex to keep your lips moist!
  7. Kouk, that's pretty cute that they sent you a lipbalm! What a nice company. ;)
  8. Sorry you are having a tough time finding work. The rejection part is awful.

I was surprised to read that you are actually getting rejection letters. Most companies don't bother with that. Your getting letters tells me they think of you as a professional, they just don't have a position for you right now.

My guess about why it is taking longer for you to find a job in the financial world right now:
    home loan industry has tanked nationwide.

There are some perceptive and scary articles at and other financial info websites.

Housing sales and home loan refi's have fueled the US economy for the last several years. The refi industry is down to less than 10% of what it was just a few years ago.

People who worked in that industry are now flooding other financial markets looking for work. I'm starting to hear the "R" word again (recession).

I'm glad you have a flexible background.

Good luck!
  9. They only send out rejection letters now to those they feel qualified for the job or they might be interested in hiring in the future.
    Sorry you are going through this - not fun. But you are doing a great job getting your resumes out!
  10. Hang in there Kou. You are doing all the right things from the sound of things.
  11. I'm sorry to hear about your woes. It was not too long I was looking for a job! It's a horribly humbling process. Don't give up hope. The right job will come along. Keep plugging away and don't ever forget you are a valuable commodity! The right company will recognize it and hire you!
  12. Sorry Kouk, I thought about one thing......have you thoroughly described to each company why you wanted to work for them specifically and not any other ??
    I don't know how things work in US, but Europe it makes a huge difference, in my (large) company and well known brand, it does take you a long way.... and I figured that maybe by sending so many applications a day you didn't really have time to insist on that side of things ?? like focus ?
  13. So sorry you're having a rough time. I went through something similar from April-July and it was terrible. I sent over 400 resumes & cover letters out (all individual, stupid things they took forever to write!) and didn't even get ONE callback even though I was qualified for the positions.

That's great that you got a free lip balm though, that would make me happy :smile:
  14. The half a bottle of Vodka is still there on the counter. Kind of pointless to drink that thing since it won't help me find a job.
  15. By 1 to 3 months, are they referring to spending 8 hours sending out CVs? if so, I'm pretty screwed ... my severance doesn't pay that long. I'm not sure if I should even bother sending out CVs to the SG divisions of some of those banks since while I have gotten some leads in the U.S., there had been no call-backs in SG with regards to the banking arena.

Granted, my first choice will always be consulting, sending CVs to banking industries in SG is just my backup but the lack of response in that department seems to be telling me that trying for banks in SG is a waste of effort ...