Regarding arthritis..

1. Is it possible for a rather young person like myself (I'm 24) to get arthritis? It runs in the family (mom's side). Both my mother and my grandmother have it...days when it's humid I get sharp pains in my hands. Last night it was really bad to where I couldn't move my right hand without it hurting like hell. Anyone else have similiar issues or suggestions? TIA! :heart:
  2. My neice just found out she has it and she is younger than you. So yes, you can have arthritis. This doesn't mean you do, I would see a doctor.
  3. I have some arthritis (I'm 27), but it is part of a bigger illness.

It's definitely possible!
  4. Yeah, it's like a sharp pain right in the middle of my hand to where when I close my hand it's unbearable. Thanks gals for your input. I'm going to set an appointment for a check up..I wouldn't be surprised if I have it...
  5. Young children can have arthritis, it has nothing to do with age.
  6. It's absolutely possible. There's a blood test for rheumatoid arthritis; no test that I'm aware of for osteoarthritis--just an examination of symptoms. A doctor can help you sort it out. good luck!
  7. Boxermom is correct, about the blood test, they look at your rheumatiod factor. However, when I was first diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis my blood panels were 100% normal, and still are to this day. Good luck.
  8. I have to agree with everyone else, it is possible. I have SLE (Lupus) which is arthritis's ugly cousin and I was diagnosed when I was in my late 20's. Maybe, the pain in your hand is something simple like carpal tunnel or tenosynvitis, which is also possible, but seeing a doctor is the best next step. Good luck:flowers:
  9. Irishgal, I didn't know it was possible to have RA and the bloodwork shows normal! How odd and frustrating for you. Many times medicine is an art, not a science, I guess.

10. I must be a medical oddity..what with the renagade lymph tissue and the normal panels!
  11. You may also have carpal tunnel syndrome. Here's a way to check for it.

Raise your arms so that your hands are eye level. Put the back of your wrists together with your hands dangling loosely down and hold it. If you feel pain, it's carpal tunnel.

Arthritis can hit at any age. Anti-inflammitories help quite a lot, such as Tylenol or Ibuprophen. But see your doctor before taking anything else stronger!
  12. Thanks ladies for the comments. I have set an appointment to see my doctor after the holidays. I will keep you guys informed.
  13. Good luck, Sweetpea, and keep us posted :smile:
  14. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and Arthritis. I have had both since about 24-26. My hands become stiff and I always know when we will have rain and or snow! I have found that Hot Yoga REALLY helps!! I couldn't believe how much better my hands and knees felt after doing it!
  15. i was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and like Irishgal, i too have normal bloodwork.
    Good luck Sweetpea!!! please keep us posted.