reflections on a mote of dust

I've seen cognac colors (i think it was ostrich and maybe barenia?) that aged darker very elegantly. If I understand you HH, you are asking about color and patina? The lighter browns/tans would obtain darker patina from use. I think the whites, taupes, pinks - (cyclamen, fuchsia) - might possibly go a little grayer. I can't be absolutely sure but the lighter colors don't have the same saturation in leathers as the dark colors. Just my impression. Box would get shinier and deeper over time from consistent use.

Chevre gets shinier & deeper from constant use as well. Anything black, brown or rouge will age beautifully. Additionally vert anis & thalassa blue seem to age gorgeously as well.

hiheels great thread! This has been a consideration for me too-- since Hermes is really expensive comparing to other bags i really thought hard on what color, leather and size hermes bags im going to keep that will last me a lifetime(hopefully)
i have a 30cm black vache liegee PH birkin-- since its black and the leather is pretty durable i dont have to baby it and be scared when i use it and i chose the 30cm so that it can double for a party bag too.i also have a 35cm chevredc marron fonce GH birkin-- my workhorse bag that really is a grab and go bag- dark enough that im not scared to just lug around and carry- no darkening of handles in the future and i chose the gold h for it because marron fonce just pops with GH. i know that both bags are in conservative colors but i feel that these 2 bags will be easy to carry,easy to match with any wardrobe, will not have darkened handles (which i HATE) and will last me a lifetime that i will still be able to pass to my DD and she will have memories of mommy attached to it.i also have a rouge vif 37 bolide in ardenne GH to satisfy my lust for a happy color bag- im still undecided if i should keep it- will it last me a lifetime?
i had a cognac/gold 35cm clemence kelly that i eventually sold- i was just too scared to use it for fear that the handles might get dark with use. i also had a 32cm rouge h clemence kelly for barely a month and sold without using it because of the same fear- HANDLES! im just oc about handles! maybe clemence is not a good leather for me i dont know....

IMO, re: colors...all browns, naturals and golds--so, all neutrals. For leathers...I think box and barenia would be my favorites for "old" bags.

I think Box calf ages gracefully and beautifully.....the leather gets a glorious patina. I have one in black and one in marron and both leathers are truly lovely. I wish I knew what they looked like when they were first brand new!

no rainrowan, i meant, what color would a bag look best in if it's going to have everything that every hermes owner fears (lol): darkened handles, scuffs, scratches(maybe), just really beat up and worn - not intentionally and of course you hope it never happens, but 40 years down the road if it's been your exclusive bag, it's not going to look too pristine. i was just wondering, what color would look best in this condition (look away emilia, this is your nightmare). like i said, i think a pale color would simply look dirty, not sort of edgy and tough. i think in my mind i was also thinking of yamamoto's ode to hermes - the leather bag he created out of very distressed leather...(small pic, sorry) - though don't let that bias you to answer black box, lol.

pinkish-love and pepper i agree, barenia! (is that what you meant by 'natural' sus?

lol, shopmom you find vintage that looks super new - not new as in un-patina-ed, but new in terms of being pristine.

Attachments

• yohjibirkin.jpg
    yohjibirkin.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 27
this thread reminds me of a poor etoupe birkin bag i saw at my local store. the craftsman was working on it, he was changing the handles on that bag. he showed me the old handles and it was filthy black!!

when i saw that, i thought, thank goodness he could change the handles since it's such an expensive bag.

on the other hand, i decided i can only handle dark colored leathers cos i'll cringe when the handles turn to a darker color.

no rainrowan, i meant, what color would a bag look best in if it's going to have everything that every hermes owner fears (lol): darkened handles, scuffs, scratches(maybe), just really beat up and worn - not intentionally and of course you hope it never happens, but 40 years down the road if it's been your exclusive bag, it's not going to look too pristine. [...]

LOL :P well I've never really seen a vintage black box I didn't like :heart: especially with the established patina. I'd love one even with scratches.

Certain colors seem to transcend time better than others too. Another color that I would choose would be the dark green; not sure what the precise name is but close to vert fonce? Vintage leather goods in that color always look incredibly timeless to me, (it's possible i remember green being a dominant color as a child, in car upholstery, chair coverings, etc). I would not be bothered by any scuffs or creases in this color.

this thread reminds me of a poor etoupe birkin bag i saw at my local store. the craftsman was working on it, he was changing the handles on that bag. he showed me the old handles and it was filthy black!!

when i saw that, i thought, thank goodness he could change the handles since it's such an expensive bag.

on the other hand, i decided i can only handle dark colored leathers cos i'll cringe when the handles turn to a darker color.

im with you on this goofy light color bags makes me nervous:graucho: