Reference: Hermes Informative Catalog

duna said:
Each year is indicated by a letter of the alphabet: i.e. 2006 is J last year was I, the year before was H and so on. So if if you want to know what year an older bag was made in , you just go backwards with the alphabet. I have a bag that was made in 1997 and has the letter A, the year before that will be Z. Once you get to Z you start again from A.

What I don't know is when Hermes actually started using the Alphabet.

I have also heard that the geometric symbol helps with the dating. For instance a J in a rectangle stands for 2005 and you work backwards from there until you get to an A in a square, and then the previous year would be a Z in a circle and you work backwards from there, so you can go back pretty far.

i saw this one a few days ago, but i think it is a bit too dramatic to me ~~~
hbup200507403a.jpg
http://www.loire-kobe.co.jp/item/images/hbup200507403a.jpg

Smoothoprter said:
I have also heard that the geometric symbol helps with the dating. For instance a J in a rectangle stands for 2005 and you work backwards from there until you get to an A in a square, and then the previous year would be a Z in a circle and you work backwards from there, so you can go back pretty far.
Actually you're right about geometrical signs around the letter of the year, I had never noticed it. I checked with my bags and I noticed the following: my oldest bag is from 1991 and has a letter U in a CIRCLE, the next one is from 1994 and has a letter X in a CIRCLE, the next one is from 1997 and has a letter A in a SQUARE, the latest is from 2005 and has a letter I in a SQUARE.

From this I imagine that each complete alphabet (from A to Z) has a different geometrical sign. So the series started in 1997 with A surrounded by a SQUARE will continue until Z which will be in 2022..

Does all this make any sense..?!?:wondering :biggrin:

^^^ Yes, complete sense.:amuse:

Here's what I was told on another Hermes board. I haven't verified this myself, but it seems correct.

A-J in a square (or is it rectangle) = 1997 - 2006, respectively

A-Z in a circle = 1971 - 1996, respectively

A-Z no goemetric symbol = 1945 - 1970, respectively

Reactions: gigi leung
(as requested, moving this info here from a different thread):

Info on storing your Birkins

Hey all Birkin lovers!

I came across this info re: storage at www.bagsnob.com. I hope it's helpful! :smile:

"The ultimate status bag, the Hermes birkin, is on the top of every girl's wish list. But to truly appreciate the Hermes birkin in all its beauty and to be worthy of its fabulousness is to be knowledgeable on everything about it. It is not just the Hermes stamp and logo that brands you as a "Bag Snob"! There is so much that makes the bag. First, the tissue paper. I have had many conversations with various Hermes MDs (managing directors, not the medical kind) and they all love talking about the tissue paper. Apparently there are special tissue paper craftsman who spend their entire lives folding tissue paper for Hermes bags! They make little pillows for the birkin to rest upon and layers of "blankets" to protect it. It is suggested that you keep the bag exactly as the day you opened it, sleeping on the little pillow will allow it to keep its shape for life!

The stitching on Hermes bags is also unparalled. It is so sturdy you can carry rocks in them! (or if you are the Bag Snob, 10 pounds of baby necessities). The stitiching is usually the first giveaway between faux or real. The real deal should have a very uniform and slight tilt to it while the fake is crooked and uneven.

All of the exotic skins also come with certificates, which is handy when traveling. Now what other bag has its own passport?
For the true aficionados, try to get an invitation to tour the private Hermes museum next time you are in Paris and get a complete history of all things Hermes!"

credit: http://www.bagsnob.com/2006/03/hermes_101.html#more