Recommendations for Hotels in Hong Kong?

1. Me and the BF are going to Hong Kong the last week of March and are having a difficult time finding accommodations that won't break the bank.

Any recommendations for hotels between $100-$150 a night?

Additionally, any "must see" shops that we should visit? I am trying to avoid the designer places we have in San Francisco (YSL, Gucci, etc.) and stick with places completely unique to Hong Kong since we only have a week in the city.

Thank you!
  2. hi Clake76! Try The Salisbury - YMCA of Hong Kong in Kowloon. Don't be put off by the name, it's one of the highest rated and reviewed hotels in Hong Kong by TripAdvisor users! We're booked there ourselves in one of the Harbor View Suites for the summer and we're excited!

Here's their website:

YMCA of Hong Kong

and here are the reviews from TripAdvisor:

The Salisbury - YMCA of Hong Kong - Hong Kong - The Salisbury - YMCA of Hong Kong Reviews - TripAdvisor

Here's also an unofficial guide to Hong Kong in the eyes of an expat which has proved helpful to me in the past:

The Unofficial Hong Kong Travel Guide -

I have to mention too that the location is just perfect and is close to Mong Kok and Tsim Sha Tsui which would be great shopping places without killing your wallet.

Enjoy your trip! I love Hong Kong!
  3. wow. we really really need a travel forum!
  4. I second the YMCA. It is right next to the Peninsula Hotel, and in the heart ofTsim Tsa Tsui, which is a really great area.
    For shopping, I recommend you go to the South Horizons Plaza, which is a building in an area called Ap Lei Chau that is about 28 floors high, and has a ton of furniture, antique type shops...but the real draw for me is the Lane Crawford outlet (the HK Neiman Marcus), which is on the 25th floor, and the Joyce outlet (very upscale designers), which is on the 21st floor. There is also a Max Mara outlet somewhere in the building, and a Prada, Mui Mui outlet close by (it is called Space).
    Also...make sure to go to the Jade Market (it closes at 6), and then onto the Night Market (which opens at 6). It is a very touristy thing to do, but fun....and you can have your palm read while at the Night Market.
    If you have time to go across the border to Shenzhen (it is 45 minutes by train), you can go to the Lo Wu Commercial City (right above the train station), and although you will see many fakes...the tailoring is worth going for. There is a huge fabric shop on the 5th floor, where you can have all sorts of amazing things made. My tailors shop # is 103A (Cindy and Nancy), and is located inside the fabric store...and they are awesome!!! They will deliver your items back to your hotel in Hong Kong within whatever time frame you need it.
    If you ahve the budget for an expensive restaurant...go to Aqua, which is in T.S.T. (right by the YMCA) for dinner. It is really cool...but if an expensive meal is not in the budget, go for cocktails....just be there by 8, so you can see the laser light show across the harbour.
    Any more questions...let me know!
  5. Hey Clake,

I will probably be no help here but I normally stay at the Royal Pacific in Kowloon as it is very close to the "slow boat to China" (i.e ferry to mainland). I think rates were around $120-150 but it was a decent place to stay.

In HK you must see the Peak (I'm sure you know this :smile: ). As well if you have a visa and it allows it you should take a day trip over to Macau - an old Portugese colony - lots of shopping there as well as good food and some neat sights.