Recipes for baby's first solid food / rice cereals..

1. I don't know how to cook. That's the main problem.. Can you guys help me with the recipes that I should cook for my little baby girl because I don't want her to be fed up with gerber and instant baby foods because I had an experience with that with my first born. She's very much into gerber when she was still young ended up very picky with foods upto now.. TIA!
  2. It's not too difficult in the beginning. Packaged rice cereal is actually not bad, because it's a good source of iron. You can use it as a base and add things to it as you go along. STart off with single vegetables (squash, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, spinach, etc). You can just boil/blanch/steam and blend in with the cereal. You can mix things together if your baby has had them before and has no allergic reaction. Then you move on to fruits and meats using the same technique. You don't really need to know how to "cook" per se as you don't add anything to flavor it in the beginning anyway- just make sure you are handling the food properly.
    If you feed your child a good variety of food and don't hesitate to try things which you yourself may not enjoy (bitter/bland/sour vegetables/fruit) he/she will most likely not end up being picky. I was pretty adventurous with both my boys and to this day they give me no trouble with meals whatsoever and are generally healthy eaters (they actually ask for vegetables!)
  3. I agree with adding veggies to the cereal. I made the mistake with my first one using fruits in her cereal and to this day she at 20 will not touch any vegetables. With my third child, I fed her veggies with her cereal and to this day she will eat almost any type of vegetables. She is 2 now. I'm going to do the same with this baby coming in March.
  4. Thanks for the input guys! :biggrin: So.. I should try on veggies first, right? Before fruit and then later on.. meat? :biggrin:
  5. I would give her very little fruits maybe just at night for snack. I stuck to the veggies mostly at every meal. I'm not sure but I think once they get a taste for just sweets, they don't care for the veggies. My oldest daughter never like veggies at all because I gave her baby gerber fruits. My 2 year old usually eats brocolli, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini. I asked my friend who is a dietion and she told me to give them lots of veggies because it has more nutrional value than fruits.
  6. ^My first daughter too! I fed her for the first time with gerber too and she ended up a picky habit when eating!
  7. I used baby cereal and gerber for both my sons. My first child didn't like eating and he lived off pureed fruit and formula. Now at almost four he has a healthy appetite and eats carbs, fruits, meat and vegetables.

My second child didn't enjoy baby cereal or pureed veggies, but he liked pureed fruit. Now at one and a half he too has a healthy appetite for regular table food including vegetables.

I think whether you start off using ready made baby food or not, you need to give the child a variety of foods and eventually they will (hopefully) accept the food.