Recipe Ideas for Kids...I have no oven!!

1. kids are extremely picky eaters, and to make matters worse...we have no oven (they are not standard here in HK). So....I am sick of Spaghetti, quesadillas, and things like that. Anyone have any good kid-friendly recipes for stovetop or microwave????
  2. I have a recipe for a Mexican style hamburger dish. You can actually use ground turkey or any other ground meat.

You will need a large, deep skillet for this one.
    Brown 1 pound ground meat in skillet until no longer pink. Drain off fat.
    Stir in 1 jar salsa, one cup of water, and mix well.
    Stir is one box of your favorite small, shaped pasta.
    Mix well and cover. Simmer until macaroni is tender.

During last few minutes, stir in about 2 tablespoons of sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips, salad.

We had two of our son's hockey team players live with us for a season and this was a favorite.

Edited to add: I'm giving this from memory, so you may have to adjust here and there. :s
  3. Yum...that sounds really good!!!
  4. It is ~ now I'm going to have to cook it this week! :smile: Hope your kids like it.
  5. No Oven, ack!

Was thinking of stove top ideas, when the first thing I thought of was....fried rice...then I remembered where you probably get plenty of that!

You could do all kinds of soups or stews, chile verde.

What about a small toaster oven? That would work good, for atleast a batch of cookies, or cornbread, pizza etc.
  6. My kids love Red Beans and Rice and Chili!! Both of those can be done on the stovetop. Also, any kind of Pasta with a sauce. You can buy the boxes of Noodles that have the seasonings with them (like Angel Hair with Alfredo, etc) and cook some chicken to go along with the noodles. I think it's Betty Crocker brand. I'm sure there are other brands but that's the one I buy. :yes:
  7. Do you have a crock pot? That's one of our favorite meal helpers! Just pop in a roast, pork or beef, some carrots, garlic and onions in, set on low. Then when you step in the door after work, it smells sooooo good, :drool: like Grandma has been home all day cooking for you! Did I mention that I love my crockpot?:heart:
  8. I love mine too. My older boys love it as well ~ for Christmas last year they gave me the biggest crock pot I have ever seen..... :roflmfao:

9. I made this last night, and it was a HIT!!! Thanks so...much!! Also...I will be getting a crockpot...I am challenged in the this is a great idea!!!
  10. :yahoo: So glad you liked it!

You are going to love the crock pot. The possibilities are endless! I even have recipes for cakes :p
  11. How about the time tested frito pie?

You would need corn chips, a can of chili (to heat up on the stove), and shredded cheddar for the basic dish. Grownups can add chopped onions and jalepenos to their plate.
  12. OMG...I forgot about Frito Pie!! What kid doesn't like that???

And Freetoe...did you say recipe for cakes in the crockpot:confused1: ???
  13. Do you have access to a George Foreman Grill? Because you can cook all kinds of meat with one of those things!
  14. I am not fully sure how this would work... so bear with me... but I am trying to think of something your kids might like. First of all, is there a way you could make a small pizza that they got to help with on the stove? It wont be some huge deep dish pizza, but even with a tortilla you could add sauce and let them put the cheese etc on... maybe a pizza quesadilla (I know you already have that?!!!!)

For a NOT healthy treat we used to make monkey bread...

3 tbsp. butter
    1/3 c. brown sugar
    1 tbsp. water
    1 tsp. cinnamon

Melt and mix ingredients in a bowl on high 1 minute. Cut 1 can of biscuits into 4 pieces. Put each piece of biscuit into mix and put in 8-inch glass bowl with glass in middle of pan (bundt or pie or whatever works). Cook 2 1/2 minutes on high and let cool 2 minutes.

It ends up being kinda of sticky and gooey and really yummie- like a cinnamon roll!! I am a bad influence...
  15. OMG...that is the most insane sounding treat ever...I WANT IT NOW!!!! As for the pizza quesadillas...that is a really good idea...and one I hand't thought of!!!