Recipe for Alfredo dish or any delicious Italian meal?

1. ok, So for Valentine's Day Im going to cook my SO a delicious meal and he told me that he would like something with Alfredo...or whatever.

I dont want to make spagetti, and he told me he is not a fan of lasagna (which sucks cause I make a good dish)

so, can anyone help me out? I'm a pretty good cook so don't worry if something might be too difficult for me to cook, unless if I have to make the pasta from scratch. LOL

thanks guys;)
  2. also, what kind of meat should be served with this alfredo? and choice of wine? thanks
  3. I love, love, love alfredo sauce.

two ways to do it:

The "chef" way, and my way (easier)

Chef way:

for l lb of pasta,
    melt 1/2 stick butter in pan. Add one cup heavy cream, and slowly bring it to a gentle, very gentle simmer (do not let it boil!)
    Add 1/2 cup shreaded parmesan cheese
    season to taste with salt, white pepper and a tiny dash of nutmeg.

My way.

Cook 1 lb of pasta. Drain. Add 1/2 stick butter to the pot you cooked the pasta in. Add pasta back in. stir to melt the butter, then add heavy cream until to coat (1 cup, maybe less) stirr, add cheese, then stir. season to taste. I really like cracked black pepper.

done! (I never said it was healthy!)

I like a nice, acidic white wine with alfredo, I think it cuts through the richness of the cheese better. Sauvingnon blanc is my favorite, but pino gringio is also good.

I like to make the pasta and top it with sliced, grilled chicken. Add the wine, and a nice green salad, and your're set!
  4. I make mine very similar to coach4me's. One tip though....use freshly grated/shredded cheese (ie-grate your own!!!). The pregrated ones are filled with anti-caking ingredients that can make the sauce a bit grainy.

I usually serve plain with a nice salad. I also sometimes add broccoli or asparagus tips or some grilled shrimp....YUM, now I want alfredo.
  5. i dont eat it bc the high fat content makes me sick, but grandma grates fresh nutmeg in hers and always uses white pepper
  6. Maxhavoc is right... grate your own cheese fresh! In fact, the kraft parmesan cheese in a can might not really be chesse... yuck!
  7. You can buy it fresh and grated for you---it's in the deli section where all the cheeses are. Great step (not to mention finger) saver!
  8. Chicken, shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster... basically anything you like, minus red meat or pork.

I don't know why, but your phrase "this alfredo" made me laugh!
  9. I have the copycat recipe for Olive Garden's alfredo in one of my cookbooks. If anyone is interested, I can post it...
  10. gr

While these are a great time saver these too contain ingredients such as "Potato Starch" and "powdered cellulose" to prevent the grated cheese from caking and clumping. They have problems when melting and can cause a gritty sauce. Also, IMHO they don't have the same flavor of a chunk cheese you grate at home. It takes me all of 2 minutes to grate a 6 ounce chunk of cheese and it's worth every second. :yahoo:
  11. Ok this recipe I will give you is amazing......and you can make it with shrimp which is a great aphrodesiac....

wash shrimp and rinse it with lemon...then throw lemon juice out.
    cook the shrimp seperatley in a pan with olive oil and fresh garlic, salt and pepper.

in another pan melt garlic butter with regular butter then add 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and whisk until the cheese is melted. Then add 1 cup of milk (pre-mixed with some flour or corn starch)....whisk them all together until it all thickens and then add the shrimp. Taste the sauce first before adding any salt...

I usually serve this with homemade ceasar salad and garlic bread. A Huge family favourite