Recall on toy: is like date rape drug

1. was watching the news and they said there is a natiowide recall on a toy product called: AQUA DOTS. I guess when ingested the coating on them has a compound linked to GHB, the date rape drug. im sure someone will post the article soon. yikes scary stuff. In children it can cause comas. I guess it was also noted that this was one of the hottest toys for the christmas 07' lists as well, so MANY have been sold!

2. i don't know if it's a smart idea of the reporters/news to "advertise" the date rape drug info about this toy recall. it's almost an open invitation for bad ideas.
    i wish they could just simply report that it's toxic and being recalled. :tdown:

3. Oh my gosh ITA I kept thinking oh great I wonder how many sickos are going out first thing in the morning to random little stores and buying this stuff up. Of course I thought that was only my demented mind thinking that way but for real, why give out this info just say it cause comas and death, not date rape!! so scary!

4. This is upsetting for so many reasons....it's my 4 years old's FAVORITE toy. There would be no way I could get it away from her. Ugh....wonder what to do?

5. Wow...I cannot believe this. I think I heard this on the news this morning but I was trying to get ready and wasn't totally paying attention

what is going on with this world today?!

6. Aqua Dots toy pulled on fears of poison risk

Beads' coating metabolizes into 'date rape' drug

Nov 08, 2007 04:30 AM
    Bill Taylor
    Feature Writer

What was touted as one of the hottest new toys this Christmas is being pulled off store shelves because of fears it could poison children.
    Aqua Dots, distributed in North America by Toronto-based Spin Master, are liquid-filled beads that can be arranged into designs and sprayed with water to hold them together. But if swallowed, the beads' coating reportedly metabolizes into the hallucinogenic "date rape" drug gammahydroxybutyrate, also known as GBH. An overdose can cause seizures, coma or death.
    The toy, aimed at kids age 4 and older and heavily advertised on TV, is made in China by Australian company Moose Enterprise. Marketed in Australia as Bindeez, it was withdrawn there this week when three children needed hospital treatment after swallowing beads.
    The Toys `R' Us chain was the first here to take Aqua Dots off its shelves, followed by Mastermind, which has stores in Toronto and across the GTA. It had been on Wal-Mart's list of top 12 Christmas toys.
    Spin Master issued a statement yesterday saying it was asking retailers across North America to stop selling Aqua Dots.
    "Out of an abundance of caution, we have stopped shipping this item and are working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada," the firm said. "Our company is working diligently to identify any shipments that could potentially be included in a recall by . . . Canadian officials."

7. Get it away from her anyways! She'll get over it and if you feel bad, replace it with a new toy. This is way too scary not to take seriously.

8. I'm trying to get ahold of my MIL. THey gave that to my son last week and are on a road trip with him now. I hope they didn't take it, because he loves that toy.

9. Why am I not surprised that yet another China-made product has turned dangerous? I am getting to the point now that I will not even buy DOG TOYS made there. If they care so little about the safety of children, then dog toys are probably even worse. Look at what happened with the pet FOODS.

I think there will need to be a massive poisoning of PEOPLE with tainted food products from China before anything is done about this!

10. Where there is demand, there is supply: they are merely the suppliers, we are the ones who want our goods BIGGER BETTER FASTER CHEAPER. The crazy consumer culture that spawns dozens of stores like Forever-21 where clothes are manufactured practically overnight in China and sold for pennies here, and Toys R Us which is bursting with so many goods that it's actually shameful (how many other countries have Toys R Us? What does it say about how we raise our children, that there is a hugely successful chain with a store in nearly every city that solely stocks Barbie dolls, video games, and other consumerist crap they really don't need?).

Consumers and companies are really to blame: if we know China doesn't do such a hot job at producing goods at the price point and speed we want them, then keep an eye on the factories producing your items! Or else, how about this, charge more and don't produce them in China!

The fact is, we can't have our cake and eat it, too.

Roo, there are too few people like you who will simply say "I'm done with Chinese made goods." If we, as a culture, really cared about purchasing items that are a little more expensive because they've been made with a little more care by people who are paid a few dollars extra, then we wouldn't have these problems. But no. Companies are just pandering to our GOTTA HAVE IT AT THE LOWEST PRICE WAL-MAT mentality, and willfully blind to their manufacturer's faults.

11. I totally agree.:sad:

Asseenontv (online) is still selling it but has this underneath the advertisement:

This item is excluded from discounted shipping offer.
    We are currently taking orders for Aqua Dot products.

Your order will not be shipped until we receive new inventory from Spin Master that meets U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission standards.

Please note, your order will not be charged until order is ready to ship.

12. ^^I read that a cheaper chemical was substituted for one they were supposed to use, so this company is probably hoping that they will be made with the proper chemical and will be safe again. But I can't say as I'd buy it, anyway. I guess the cheap stuff they used reacted with something else in the toy to make the "drug"

13. I heard about this on the news this morning but I wasn't really paying close attention. So weird.

14. To comment on Roo's made in China products, there was a health scare not too long ago in my country involving food (mainly candies, snacks, and toothpaste) made in China. Apparently, the food is proven to contained formalin, a chemical mainly used to preserve corpses! One brand of candy has been around for years and years, I eat some of them too throughout the years.

I just can't imagine what kind of ppl would put a dangerous chemical like that in food?!?!?! Seriously sick!

And putting another dangerous chemical in child's toy? omg, lost for words here. I am just glad I have no kids, otherwise I'd so piss*d about it too.

15. It's a huge issue in Australia at the moment as "Bindeez" (as they are known here) are so popular.

Similar to what Fesdu said though, there is an article in the paper today that as Schoolies approaches (basically the Australia version of Spring Break - happens when students finish high school), teenagers will be experimenting with them.

I realise they are recalling htem all, but I gather it must only be recent batches?? It seems only in the last week or so that kids were getting sick, and Bindeez have been around for a while (at least a year or two).