Really bummed!!!! :( and a little scared :(

1. Hi all :smile: ive never posted here before in this section with a story of my own because sometimes i find it hard to really express things when i am upset,,, but i felt i needed someone to talk to :sad: and i thought of you guys!

I will start at the beginning , my father is from England and we had a wonderful trip planned for 11 days in London,,we were to leave June 7th

A few weeks back my father started feeling sick :sad:, he had a very upset stomach couldnt keep any food in his body and started running a fever,, it was scary but we (my mom and me) thought it was just a bug... 2 weeks later,,we knew it wasnt :sad:

At this point he not only couldnt keep any food in, but stopped having an appetite...

So Now its been almost a month, and things havent gotten better,,

About 2 weeks back we had to take him to the ER because he felt nauseous , went in the bathroom and wound up passing out (THANK GOD he landed seated on the toilet lid because if he had fallen-o my gosh,,,)

Let me add here my dad is old,,about 72, very healthy up until now, except that he has a very bad back, but he has learned to deal with it in some respects,,,

So if he had fallen in the bathroom he could have wound up in a wheelchair because of his back,etc,,,

So when he passed out my mom heard a thud and ran in, and he was unresponsive for about a minute, she thought he had a stroke (again thank goodness he didnt)
    But called an ambulance immediately,,

So they put him on an IV said it was because he had gotten dehydrated,,

They decided he may have Giardia, which is a stomach parasite from bad water,,, so they treated him for a week with medication,,

This was about 2 weeeks ago now and he is still not better, he has lost about 20 lbs which is so scary, he can hardly eat cause he has no appetite(egg for breakfast, boost shake for lunch, maybe some toast and rice, less then 1000 calories a day and he does NOT need to loose any more weight!)

On top of this because he can barely eat he has no energy anymore,, :sad: He is a professor at the college i go to and next week i will be giving his final exam for him because he has been out of school for almost a month and cant go back for the rest of the semester as he still doesnt feel better,,

He started seeing a new doctor last week (a doc specializing in infectious diseases) they did some tests and we are hoping that by monday we know what he actually has so we can try and get rid of it,,,

but the problem is, even if they start him on medicine next week (hopefully it will be that simple) it will take at least a week or so to take its course, and by then its almost time for us to leave for our trip

so we decided my dad wont have the energy by then to travel, and who knows if by then he will even be better...

and so the trip is canceled, which im very sad about but i am worried about my dad :sad: :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

hes not as young as some other dads, and although hes healthy his immune system is older and cant fight things quite as well and its just been going on for so long im scared its never going to go away :sad:

I want him to be better so bad and i cant do anything for it i feel helpless! I love my father more then anyone and i hate to see him so sick and bummed

in 45+ years of teaching hes only been out once or twice before the last time was over 14 years ago,, and he is so depressed :sad:

He doesnt get why he isnt getting better and we dont know whats wrong and UGH!!!!!!!!! i cant pay attention to finals, or anything cause all i want is my dad back to normal :crybaby::crybaby:

anyway thanks so much for listening to my rant and ramble i am just really sad and scared and bummed all around and needed to finally let it loose!

thanks again Bessie

2. Bessie, I'm so sorry! I hope that the doctors find out what is wrong with your Dad soon and that he gets better. I'll be thinking of your family! Hugs!

3. I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's never easy to have a loved one ill, I went through the same with my mum a while back. I can't tell you what to do because I myself don't know how I managed.. All I can say is I wish the best for your father and I will keep you both in my prayers. A big great hug.

4. thank you so much! :sad: this is the first time i have cried about this since it started,,,im so glad i wrote this i feel like im finally letting some of it out cause ive been so worried and pretending its all ok but ,,,,

i just dont know if it is :sad:

5. I'm so sorry! I hope your dad gets better.

6. I am so sorry all this is happening to your family. I'm glad that you were able to talk about it, and I hope everything turns out alright. *hugs*

7. Bessie, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I understand how you feel about posting on this section, so I appreciate you trusting us to share your worries. Your dad needs you so much right now! He sounds like a very strong, intelligent and independent man.

Please make sure he tells the new doc everything about his condition, his lack of eating, etc. You really have to be very strong, very supportive and very vocal at this point because so much time has gone by without him getting better. I'm sure you know this already, but sometimes we get so caught up in our sadness and emotions that we may fail to say or mention something important to the doctors...I know I did...and it still hurts. I wish I could go back and do and say things differently and just be stronger.

Hang in there, Bessie! I pray that your dad recovers very soon. Keep us posted on how you are doing. *HUGS*

8. Oh, Bess, I'm so sorry, what a worry for all of you. Hopefully they'll find out what's caused all this and will be able to treat him properly. It's nothing worse than having you're family ill, without being able to do anything, will send lots of positive thoughts your way and hope your dad recovers:heart:

9. Bessie, I'm so sorry your Dad is going through this. It's so hard when a loved one is so ill for so long. I will say a prayer for you and your family. Take care of yourself.

10. your father and family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

11. I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this.

I know how upsetting this must be for you as I am going through a very similar situation with a sick Dad just now.

Try to keep positive and trust that the doctors will figure out what is wrong and soon he will be on the road to recovery. Then you can reschedule your trip when everyone is happy and healthy.

I can imagine how worried you are, but do try to keep positive. I really believe positive thinking can really help:smile:
    Will keep your dad in my thoughts.

12. thank you all so much! :sad: I really appreciate all the wishes and prayers

and GR8HEART: you are so right its so important for every single small detail to be mentioned to the doctor, my dad usually does his best to write everything down so he cant forget but theres just so much to remember!

and you are so right i cant get caught in my sadness i just have to do everything i can to help him,,

i trust you all so much i feel safe to able to open up here because i dont want to say anything to him and make him even sadder, so i stay strong and positive but in my heart im scared and sad :sad:

thanks all so much for the wishes!

13. Bessie, I can somewhat sympathize and imagine and feel your anxiety about worrying for your dad. I just got the news that my dad may have ALS. He is 62 and just returned to Japan after workng in Germany for 12 years. I am scared, too. TPF is great because there are so many here that lends a kind ear to listen and support you.
    Just take it one day at a time. Cry when you need to. Be scared when you need to. If one day is too hard, then one hour at a time. I am trying to tell that to myself, too. We just have to keep going and live today.
    Thank you for sharing. You are helping me get through, too.

14. You mentioned your dad is depressed...this might be a part of the problem. Poor health leading to depression leading to lack of energy/poor appetite being exacerbated leading to more depression that he doesn't seem to be getting better...it's a vicious cycle! You should mention this to his doctor as well.

Anyway I sure hope he gets better soon! You and your dad are in my prayers!

15. Chin up girl! You can make it. It seems like some time has passed and I'm not sure what has all been done for your dad but yes, please make sure the doctors are aware of everything. And even if you have to tell the nurses your concerns bluntly, that might be the best way. Nurses really advocate for their patients and they spend the most time with them. In this case YOU spend the most time with your dad so be his advocate. If you feel not enough is being done, please speak up. Nursing has taught me a lot about sticking up for people.

Your dad needs you and I know it's probably very draining but you can do it! Prove to him you can do the very best you can in school and be the best support system you can. I hope things get better. *hugs*