Reality TV vs scripted shows

1. I know some reality tv is a bit scripted, but I think reality TV is so much more interesting than scripted shows....

there are not many scripted shows that I watch anymore....I still like the office, 30 rock, and law and order svu

I guess this puts the pressure on the studios to put out good shows, and not crap

2. Most reality shows, especially the dating ones, are heavily scripted with the outcomes pretty much determined in advance. Not like say a Greys Anatomy, but scripted. Scripting real people is easier than writing a drama or comedy. The tv people don't have to work so hard and still get paid. The more outrageous the better.

3. Most reality shows are scripted. I love the Simple Life, but it was obvious that parts of this season and last season were scripted. Like the whole with Paris and Hunter... if they really liked eachother, it would be in all of the magazines.

4. Totally scripted. Look at the recent dating shows on VH1 like Flavor of Love, I Love New York, Charm School, etc. Conveniently, the "boring" people get eliminated, and the "troublemakers" stay around the longest... hmm.....

5. I don't think there is such a thing as Reality TV anymore. It's only partially real.

6. "Reality" shows are a win-win. They are way cheaper than "real" shows, and the viewers love them just as much! Yes, they are "partially scripted" and "re-enacted" but completely scripted fictional shows can require the same suspension of belief in order to watch, so it's not like it's a new mental gymnastic.

Think of the popularity of movies like SpiderMan, Batman, etc, and TV shows like Lost. We enjoy just sitting back and enjoying the show, and it's no different, I don't think, with "reality" shows. We know that it is not exactly 100% real. But that's OK, we can still argue over whether Jen Bunney's handbag was fugly or to die for...