Read Your Toothpaste Carefully (Knockoff Toothpaste Contains Antifreeze) *CORRECTION*

1. Andrew Farrell, 06.15.07, 1:38 AM ET

Next time you brush your teeth, check for spelling errors on your toothpaste. It could save your life.

Colgate-Palmolive warned Thursday that counterfeit Colgate toothpaste containing a deadly chemical is being sold at dollar stores in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland. The knockoffs contain diethylene glycol, an ingredient in antifreeze.
    Counterfeiters frequently use the sweet-tasting chemical as a substitute for safe, but more expensive, chemical syrups. Diethylene glycol has been found in toothpaste, cough syrup and other consumable medications recently.
    So how can one tell if the tube in the medicine cabinet is poison? Check the spelling. The fakes have a number of errors including "isclinically," "SOUTH AFRLCA" and "South African Dental Assoxiation."
    Also check the country of origin. The spurious Colgates list South Africa, but Colgate doesn't import any toothpaste from there.
    Dozens died in Panama last year after consuming cough syrup tainted with diethylene glycol. More recently, diethylene glycol-tainted toothpaste manufactured in China was pulled from shelves in Panama, the Dominican Republic and Australia.

(http://www.forbes.com/sciences/2007/06/14/colgate-toothpaste-fake-face-cx_af_0614autofacescan03.html?partner=rss)

2. Colgate: Low risk from counterfeits
    Fri Jun 15, 7:12 AM ET

NEW YORK - Personal-care products maker Colgate-Palmolive Co. said Friday there is a low health risk to consumers who purchased tubes of counterfeit toothpaste, which were recalled because they may contain a poisonous chemical.
    The company, which conducted its own analysis on counterfeit samples, said both it and the Food and Drug Administration came to the same conclusion.
    On Thursday MS USA Trading, Inc. of North Bergen, N.J., the importer involved in the initial recall announcement, said the toothpaste may contain diethylene glycol, a chemical found in antifreeze.
    The company said the 5-ounce or 100 ml toothpaste, imported from South Africa, was sold in discount stores in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland.
    "Made in South Africa" is printed on the boxes, which include Regular, Gel, Triple and Herbal versions. There may also be several misspelled words on the package including "isclinically", "SOUTH AFRLCA" and "South African Dental Assoxiation."
    Colgate said it is currently picking up suspected counterfeit products at discount stores where it was reportedly distributed and checking to make sure all accounts handling Colgate toothpaste in the United States do not have the counterfeit product.
    Colgate said it is providing more representatives on its consumer information line, extending its hours and adding weekend hours to help answer questions.
    The consumer information line is 1-800-468-6502.

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070615/ap_on_he_me/colgate_toothpaste_recall;_ylt=Am.Oa0ceMMNPqmdBoNanmfvVJRIF)

3. Gross.

4. These people substituting deadly chemicals into products in order to save a buck (I am also thinking of the dog and cat food scare) are seriously sick.

I'm sure this stuff wouldn't really hurt adults who use a small amount and then spit most of it out, but this would certainly be of great concern to a parent with a toddler who might accidentally get ahold of a tube and ingest it (which I understand is bad enough even when your toothpaste doesn't contain antifreeze!)

5. :wtf:

6. Oh my god! They make knock off toothpaste??? Is nothing sacred?

7. This is nothing new. It's just another reason to avoid counterfeit products.

8. That's what I was thinking! :cursing: