Read this and tell me if I need to quit my job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Most of ya'll have heard how terrible my job is. I mean, for God's sake I didn't even get paid this week. I'm about ready to quit. She didn't pay me, and she cut my hours in half. I went from 30 hours a week to 12 hours a week. That is friggin ridiculous!

Anyway, here's the dream. My day manager, Margie, thinks she is the Queen of waitressing. No one does it like Margie. She's God on Earth to herself. Ya'll know the type. Constantly thinking she's better than you and everyone else in the room.

Anyway, Margie has this grin, this evil, makes me wanna smack the **** out of you if you do it one more time kinda grin. And, I don't want to sound mean, or like a ***** or anything, but she's not all. She wears her super thin, super bleached hair worn back in a really tight bun with a burgandy (clashes with the hunter green uniform tops) head band wrapped around it. It's hideous. Anyway, she's the typical ***** boss. Come to think of it, I rip the damn thing off her head in the dream!

Back to the dream. I forget what all had happened to lead up to this point, but Margie had pissed me off for the last time...wait, I need to back up. Ya'll need the FULL story before I go any further.

Friday night I'm doing my normal job as a seating hostess. But because we have crap ass waitresses, I'm also busing tables, answering phones, taking To-Go orders and working the register, all at one time. I've been doing it the same way for a week, ok, ever since we've been open. Ok. And Margie comes up to me and says "Just what do you think your doing?" And I look her dead in the eye and I say "My job. What do you think your doing?" Cause you've got to be a smart ass with her. She says "Why in the hell are you seating people?" I look at her and I say "Jenifer told me to. I take my orders from her." She looks at me, rolls her beady eyes and says "My God you are doing it all wrong." I was not doing it all wrong. I knew who had what tables. I knew where people needed to go. She says to me "If you keep seating people like that one of these waitresses is gonna get swamped and they're going to come complining to me and I'm going to have to deal with it." Too bad, was all I could think. (Earlier in the day she had lied and said that the waitresses got cheated out of 20 dollars in tips because we weren't sure on how to work the credit card machine. In reality, it was more like $8, but only because they didn't come and say "Where's my tip?" You don't come and claim it by the end of the day, it's ours. That's the rule.) So she said "Damn it. I'm going to get you a seating chart." Away she goes to her car. I look at her going out to her car, and say, quite loudly "You don't want me to quit. Talk about hell raining down on you. You so do not want me to quit." So she brings it to me and tells me everything I already know. She was a total ***** to me for no reason except that she wanted to be.

So in the dream, she's pissed me off again. We're not in uniform. She's wearing this ugly hot pink shirt and I'm dressed in my usual jeans and t-shirt. We're at the restaurant but only a few people are there, and it's right during the supper rush hours. Something is said and she slams some kind of book closed and calls me a trashy name and I take off after her trying to get her to finish her stupid sentance. All I really remember saying in the dream was "You hate me. You love to hate me! I come in here day after day and I do my job perfectly, to the t. I do what I'm supposed to do. What I'm told, WHEN I'm told. You know who's the 'manager' around here during the day Margie? Sure as hell ain't you! It's me! What happens when the waitresses have a problem? Do they go to you? No. They come to me. You'll chew them out for being total 'idiots' and they're scared of you. I'm not afraid to hurt your feelings. I'm not afraid to yell back at you. I'm not afraid to call you a 'dirty' name. I'm not scared of what you could do to me because frankly you can't do **** to me. My life is completely f**ked right now. I've got nothing to lose. Fire me. Go ahead. Cause I don't need this. I don't need any of this. I don't need this job. You. Or this piece of **** restaurant." Yeah, it's a long speech but that is exactly what I said. And I walked out. On the upside, I was driving the 2007 Pontiac Torrent instead of the 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix.

It's the God's honest truth, that place is ridiculous and if I wanted to drive 25 miles to work everyday, that job at David's Bridal would be great. At least I could wear clothes that fit. I'm wearing an F***ing shirt that's an XXL and I need a medium. It swallows me whole and they all seem to think it's ok. It just makes us look cheap. The day we opened we got our uniform shirts and I went and put on a medium, I come out of the bathroom and Margie yells at me "Take off that shirt! You don't need it! This girl needs it! It'll fit her better. Take it off! RIGHT NOW!" And I'm thinking, damn it, take the shirt off of my back. Trust me, the damn shirt doesn't fit the other girl any better than it did me.

As you can tell, I HATE MY JOB! I hate it with all my heart and soul. I'd rather be broke than have to work there. The pay is stupid anyway. If Margie gets on my nerves one more time...I promise you this...if she says one more thing about the way I do my job... get this, I'm STANDING FOR 10 HOURS WITHOUT A STOOL TO SIT ON DURING THE 45 MINUTE INTERVALS WHEN NOT A SOUL WALKS UP TO THE COUNTER. I'm underage. I'm supposed to get breaks. I don't get one single break. I'm on my feet 10 hours a day, without a break. THAT IS ILLEGAL! I had a life threatening infection in my leg than can decide to wake up any time it wants to and kill me! It's docs orders that I rest my leg and they ignore it! I'm a glorified cleaning lady. My boss thinks it's cool to ask ME EVERYDAY to scrub the toilets. I'm like "I scrubbed out the ****ter 4 times yesterday, get someone else to do it today."

But on the upside, there's a cook I'm "getting along" with. Don't know how long that's gonna play out.

It's just STUPID to get up at 4:30 in the morning and cry because you don't want to go to work.

I went from working 5am to 2 pm on Wednesdays, 6am to 2pm on Fridays and 2pm to 10pm on Saturdays to working 10:30 to 1:30 on Wednesdays, 4pm to 10pm on Fridays and 10:30 to 1:30 on Saturdays. I might as well quit. This job is a joke.
  2. If you are that unhappy, I would quit. It's not worth it. Life is too short and you will find something else. I hope things get better for you! Hang in there.
  3. I agree. Quit and find a job that you love.

Good luck.
  4. I totally agree there has got to be something better than that out there. No one deserves to be treated like that at their job.:tdown:
  5. ^ totally agree.
  6. Missy,
    Quit......Quit for your health and sanity. I worked for a place that was horrible when I was 20. I lasted 2 weeks. I did a wonderful job but the people were terrible and it really stressed me out to the point I was having anxiety and could not sleep. Just call up and quit and move on. You don't need to be treated like crap and they are taking advantage of you.
    There are better things out there than this job.
  7. You spend too much of your life at work to hate it THAT much - Quit now while you still have your sanity and find something else that you enjoy. You cannot continue to be this unhappy and cry about your job - it is not worth it.
  8. Sounds like the restaurant is new? With that kind of management in place it won't last long. I would find a new job and than quit.

About scrubbing the toilets, have you ever considered that maybe they hired you to scrub the toilets?

If it will take you awhile to find a new job go see your doctor and have them write a note saying how often you must rest your leg or something to that matter. If they still make you stand, or fire you, you will have a claim with the department of labor and own that place.
  9. Hope you find a better job!
  10. haven't you only been there for a couple weeks at most?

not to be harsh but I think you need to suck it up and stick it out for a while at least. my dad always says that if jobs were fun we'd be paying to do them...

and if the place is run so poorly, I see that as an opportunity for you to show that you can run things better. work hard, show you're responsible, and your hard work will be recognized. you're going to find coworkers that you drive you crazy no matter where you work, you have to just brush it off. if anything you'll gain valuable experience to make you better prepared for work elsewhere when the time is right.
  11. ^^^
    There ya go! This restaurant is newly opened and this is week 2 or 3. Yeah? Take this as your opportunity to shine and be an employee that others (namely the owners) look to for guidance and strength. Stick it out for at least 3 months. If it's still a clusterf*ck, then you can leave.
  12. if there are no customers and you're just standing there, go grab a chair and sit behind the counter. if they fire you, then do you really care?

and driving 25 miles really isn't that far, lots of people drive much farther than that everyday for their full time job. if you want the job at david's bridal then you should definatly try to pursue that.
  13. Is there anyone higher that you can talk to about her behavior, particularly the fact that you aren't allowed breaks or able to rest your leg?

I worked for about six weeks at a huge well known hotel that will go nameless. One night I did 1-11 and was back at 6am the next day. Was miserable. Needless to say, I quit. Most horrible job I've ever had.

Anyway. See if there's someone above her that you can talk to. Stand up for yourself, but do so in a respectful manner so that nothing bad comes back to you. Good luck.
  14. I remember reading that this is your first job, right?
    Its not worth it to have a job you hate when you are so young, the stress you are being put through is NOT worth it. You are too young for that-if you still want to work, now that you have a little bit of experience under your belt you can put in for different places. Shop around until you find a job you love.
  15. i think you should give it a little more time, maybe she will get fired. since the business is so new. if things don't get better, find another..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.