Read a Good Book Lately?

I just read two Holocaust memoirs: All But My Life, by Gerda Weissmann Klein, and Night, by Elie Wiesel. Hard to read, but well written and also important.

Have you read "Man's search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl?
I wish the grade schools made this a mandatory read. It might help kids that are harrassed or bullied learn how to shut it off. And teach them they are not what others think of them.
I think the Holocaust memoirs are very important reads as they really put into perspective how really small our everyday problems are compared to someone that survives the Holocaust.

I'm the dork who loves the classics. I was an english major so...some of my FAV's:

The Good Soldier Ford Maddox Ford
The Age of Innocence Elizabeth Wharton
Sons & Lovers D.H. Lawrence
Waiting for the Barbarians J.M. Coetzee
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K. Dick
Their Eyes Were Watching God Zora Neale Hurston
Frakenstein Mary Shelley
The Good Earth Pearl S. Buck

I'll stop there! I LOVE BOOKS!!!

Get "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" Peter Boxall
Sooooo good. Really tells you what to read!:love:

A co worker let me borrow Marely and Me , its about a man and his dog , however I recently lost my bloved dog of 13 years and I can not read about a man and his dog , the cover picture makes me wanna cry , actually typing this makes me wanna cry

on a happier note I read a Shopacholic and A Baby , pretty good

I just finished Don DeLillo's "White Noise" for the second time. Good book! Also:
Anything by Raymond Chandler
The Crying of Lot 49 (or any Pynchon, but this is a good gateway book)
The Human Stain and Portnoy's Complaint by Phillip Roth
Disgrace and Elizabeth Costello by J.M. Coetzee
And Vonnegut!

I enjoy Frank Peritti's books a lot.

And on the other end of that genre spectrum...I haven't read a good smutty book since I was sneaking them from my parents in h.s. Anyone have some good suggestions? (I know...:blush: but I'm in the mood for one! One smutty novel won't make my brain fry, I don't think!);)

Hey! Smutty books are all I read! ;) What did you read in high school? I mostly like historicals so here are my recs. The following authors mostly write in these categories although there are a few that switch over.

Light, funny reads: Julia Quinn, Julie Garwood

Sensual reads (not erotic!): Lisa Kleypas, Sabrina Jeffries, Gaelen Foley

Emotional reads: Judith McNaught, Laura Lee Guhrke

Other: Teresa Medeiros, Eloisa James, Elizabeth Boyle

For contemporary books, try Judith McNaught's Paradise or books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I've only read Paradise, but I've heard a lot of good things about SEP's books (they're supposed to be hysterical).

PM me if you want recommendations regarding individual titles! :P You can tell I love romance novels! :nuts:

I guess I'm a lot less philisophical than the rest of you- I just finished reading "Well Bred and Dead" a high society murder mystery (only okay) and "The Ivy Chronicles", which I picked up on sale at Barnes and Noble for $6- it was very good, much better than the other.

I'm the dork who loves the classics. I was an english major so...some of my FAV's:

The Good Soldier Ford Maddox Ford
The Age of Innocence Elizabeth Wharton
Sons & Lovers D.H. Lawrence
Waiting for the Barbarians J.M. Coetzee
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K. Dick
Their Eyes Were Watching God Zora Neale Hurston
Frakenstein Mary Shelley
The Good Earth Pearl S. Buck

I'll stop there! I LOVE BOOKS!!!

Get "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" Peter Boxall
Sooooo good. Really tells you what to read!:love:

Since you've mentioned Pearl S. Buck have you read "the Imperial Woman"? Absolutely loved it!

I recently discovered the extremely funny and efficiently sarcastic writing of David Sedaris.

His book, "Me Talk Pretty One Day" has made me laugh out loud this past week -- I can't really recall the last time a book made me laugh out loud.
he is hysterical! read his one titled "dressing in denim and corduroy "-partial title - too.