reaction of LV boutique when authenticating

This counterfeiter problem goes beyond just a gal walking into a LV boutique with a bag she bought not knowing if it was real or fake and asking for authentification.

The police and customs personnel are really trying to get to the source, and prevent them from coming into the country.

At some point I thought fakes might be "fun", and wanted to have a looksy down on Canal Street, but the fakes are now in "backrooms, through 2 doors and a big dude with a piece"

Once I learned what was going on, I am staying away.

It might even be better to purchase a "LV"-inspired bag without paying the high cost that counterfeiting brings to the economy and society (global).

ps: hope I'm not being a downer, i am just looking at the big picture because I care.

That's why they only give a verbal authentication and not a written statement so it eliminate any lawsuits against them. Basically, it's one's person opinion and if you chose to believe that it's your risk. Sueing anyone based on she said/he said would not make it to court IMO. :amuse:

They also won't give a written statement because someone could easily take the paper, put it with a fake bag, and sell it on ebay.

I'm not trying to attack you at all here....just giving another view:

I gather from what you're saying that you view LV as simply a status symbol and buy it because you associate LV with "well off" people. Please correct me if I've read your post wrong.

Others don't see it the same way. Some people (myself included) buy LV because of the QUALITY of the bag, the timelessness, etc and NOT because we're trying to look rich. Not to mention....I can AFFORD to buy every single LV bag new if I WANTED to....but I have bought used LV before because I've found a good deal (and I don't feel myself or anyone else should be made to feel bad about wanting this type of purchase authenticated).

I agree with Kimm992. I'm not filthy rich, my parents don't buy me LV and I don't have a ton of money to buy myself LV, but I LOVE the style of LV bags, so my only choice is to buy them online off ebay to save myself some money. I don't make a load of money having a part time job and I don't get allowance from parents, so what is wrong with buying something you want second hand so you don't have to pay so much?
I don't fit into either of the categories that CEC listed. 1) I'm not "Trying hard" to fit in with the wealthy people and 2) I don't only buy LE pieces or brand new pieces off ebay, although most of my pieces are in great to mint condition.

I know what you mean by some people buying LV just to look wealthy, but I'm not one of them and I don't think anyone here is either. Let's just say that I can probably afford most of the things that I want from LV with my saved up money, but I have better uses for this large amount of money at this time since I'm still a student and have no well-paying job.

I think LV will authenticate verbally, but in the case of an obvious fake they won't be enthusiastic. The SAs are aware of the difference between casual buyers and collectors, and I would assume evaluate authentication requests based on such an assessment. When I brought my Epi Sac Triangle in to be authenticated, as my fab Ebay seller encouraged me to do, a SA that I knew a little took it to the back, brought it back five minutes later and confirmed that not only was it authentic but that five women had come up to him on the way to the office wanting to buy it. So I assume that this process can distract from the actual SELLING of new bags.

I agree with Kimm992. I'm not filthy rich, my parents don't buy me LV and I don't have a ton of money to buy myself LV, but I LOVE the style of LV bags, so my only choice is to buy them online off ebay to save myself some money. I don't make a load of money having a part time job and I don't get allowance from parents, so what is wrong with buying something you want second hand so you don't have to pay so much?
I don't fit into either of the categories that CEC listed. 1) I'm not "Trying hard" to fit in with the wealthy people and 2) I don't only buy LE pieces or brand new pieces off ebay, although most of my pieces are in great to mint condition.

I know what you mean by some people buying LV just to look wealthy, but I'm not one of them and I don't think anyone here is either. Let's just say that I can probably afford most of the things that I want from LV with my saved up money, but I have better uses for this large amount of money at this time since I'm still a student and have no well-paying job.

Exactly!! I don't think there's anything wrong AT ALL with buying second hand bags....all the power to you (and yes you do have some fabulous pieces by the way!! - clearly proving that you CAN get awesome items second hand).

I'm also not sure why anyone would care who is "trying hard" to fit in with the wealthy people. What does it matter?? Sounds really stuck up to me!!

It's fascinating to hear everyone's experiences with having LV authenticated at a boutique. It looks like there are some dire inconsistencies between boutiques and managers. I couldn't agree more about the liability issue. So many SAs are untrained novices and frankly they have no business giving a professional opinion. Not to mention some of them have horrible attitude problems! If I knew for sure that there was a friendly, experienced, "trained" associate in a store near me, then I might be more apt to buy on ebay and bring the piece in for authentication. I suppose it's safer (legally) for some boutiques to stay away from it all together.

But as of now, I would be timid/embarrassed to bring a bag into a boutique for authentication because I don't live near a boutique and I don't have relationships with SAs. This is why I purchase LV exclusively from the boutique or eluxury. Furthermore, I am just so darn picky about the condition of things. I rarely find bags on my wishlist brand new on ebay. I like them brand spankin' new so I can devirginize them! LOL I am so bad... But for the right deal, I might take a gamble on ebay (after getting 1,000 opinions from my purse board buddies, of course.) :angel:

Exactly!! I don't think there's anything wrong AT ALL with buying second hand bags....all the power to you (and yes you do have some fabulous pieces by the way!! - clearly proving that you CAN get awesome items second hand).

I'm also not sure why anyone would care who is "trying hard" to fit in with the wealthy people. What does it matter?? Sounds really stuck up to me!!

Funny thing is, you don't normally "get in or fit in" with wealthy people. You either are or you aren't and it's not like they invite you in based on what you have on at the time. I've seen more dimestore millionaires than I dare to count. I personally don't see LV as being for the very rich, Hermes yes....LV no. I'm not saying it's not insanely expensive (at least per my DH) but it's also not $10k+. However I do love LV for their timeless structure and design. I'm very lucky to be able to afford such luxuries whether new or used and I'm always after a great deal!

You are who you are, not what hangs off of your arm. Thinking otherwise shows something much deeper. We are all here for a common love and passion, not who bought what or where. I think we are much more than that.

Funny thing is, you don't normally "get in or fit in" with wealthy people. You either are or you aren't and it's not like they invite you in based on what you have on at the time. I've seen more dimestore millionaires than I dare to count. I personally don't see LV as being for the very rich, Hermes yes....LV no. I'm not saying it's not insanely expensive (at least per my DH) but it's also not $10k+. However I do love LV for their timeless structure and design. I'm very lucky to be able to afford such luxuries whether new or used and I'm always after a great deal!

You are who you are, not what hangs off of your arm. Thinking otherwise shows something much deeper. We are all here for a common love and passion, not who bought what or where. I think we are much more than that.

I totally agree.

I'm not a millionaire but I've been known to shop at a dollar store with my vuitton bag.... (I consider myself at the moment until I graduate college lower upper class :huh: if that makes sense... Basically not super rich, but not upper middle class)

You're absolutely right. :yes:

Karman & Kimm992, I couldn't agree with you two more! I have had to pay for every item that I have ever wanted since I was sixteen years old, my education included. Though I could certainly afford to buy a brand new bag from the boutique each month, I don't always want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on what is a non-essential item.

As for "trying too hard" to fit in with wealthy people, I am the last person who wants to fit in with a bunch of A**h*les who think en masse and act en masse to exhibit their class status. I am a reluctant convert to Louis Vuitton for the very reason that some people do only see the bag and brand as a way to show their wealth. I like the history, the look, and the durability of the purses; I am into Frye footwear for the same reason, but Frye is not associated with class status, even though Neiman Marcus and Saks carries Frye boots. I don't see Frye boot fanatics on shoe boards accusing the Frye lovers who buy pre-owned boots of trying too hard to fit in with the Frye lovers who can afford to buy boots new.

My ex-bf, who is a Trustafarian and grew up obnoxiously wealthy, made fun of me when I met him for lunch the other day because I was carrying a Louis Vuitton purse. He couldn't believe that I was carrying such a vulgar, nouveau riche bag, and asked me if I had thrown in the (metaphorical) fashion towel. He doesn't equate Louis Vuitton with wealth, but with the Nouveau Riche, who desire to appear wealthy, new bag or not. I'm sure he is not the only wealthy person who thinks this way.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with buying LV second hand. If I can buy 2 slightly used bags (but new to me) for what someone can go to the boutique and buy 1 new bag for, then it seems that I am the one coming out ahead. That's fairly simply economics. My decision would not be because of "affordability" but more for "greed", in a way. That is the same reason that I never fly first class. Why would I pay hundreds more for a fluffier pillow? I think that anyone one this board obviously can afford their " LV addiction" or they would be schlepping around town with a Walmart bag hanging off of their arm.