Ramadan :)

LL, I'm feeling with you here :yes:. IMO this issue has nothing to do with the religion and comes to the fact that your husband is a man and men are just possessive. Just talk to your husband more about trust and respect for each other and get your freedom back, sweetie. Your story is reminiscent of mine with the only difference is that my husband lets me going to the parties, etc. like the one you're going but afterwards he will be asking a million questions, making funny suspicions and...just being plain jealous :cursing:. He admits it. This is it. You don't have to be perfect! You are not making any mistake by going to your friend's party! And I'm sure you are the best wife for your DH. God bless :heart:

LL, I'm feeling with you here :yes:. IMO this issue has nothing to do with the religion and comes to the fact that your husband is a man and men are just possessive. Just talk to your husband more about trust and respect for each other and get your freedom back, sweetie. Your story is reminiscent of mine with the only difference is that my husband lets me going to the parties, etc. like the one you're going but afterwards he will be asking a million questions, making funny suspicions and...just being plain jealous :cursing:. He admits it. This is it. You don't have to be perfect! You are not making any mistake by going to your friend's party! And I'm sure you are the best wife for your DH. God bless :heart:

Lol, ur reply there made me smile. That's true, men are and could be possessive and protective!! Another part of it is that he's a couple years older than I am, and I'm still in that young stage where this is the stuff I am suppose to do and enjoy. He's been there, done that and is over with it, so sometimes he forgets the whole age and life experience difference and expects me to do the same as he does.

I'm still in that young stage where this is the stuff I am suppose to do and enjoy. He's been there, done that and is over with it, so sometimes he forgets the whole age and life experience difference and expects me to do the same as he does.
I'm glad I made you smile. You go, LL :tup: I'm totally with you. Try to work it out with your husband (although it is not easy :sweatdrop:) - you have to enjoy your young life and you both have to enjoy each other. Something tells me you are going to be just fine :okay:

Thanks everyone!

I have a Q- [ since I am a newcomer...]

My SO and I got into a little fight last night over something petty!

My friends bday is tomorrow, and I told him that shes having a party.

He immediately said "NO, YOU CAN'T GO. IT'S RAMADAN"

I understand that during ramadan there are some things you can do and can't..

But can someone please tell me WHY I CAN'T or SHOULDN'T attend my friends birthday?

I do not drink, I NEVER go out, all I do is go to work, school,shopping by myself,and home.

Now that I actually have an event to attend, and coincidently Ramadan just started, what is the right thing here? I'm so confused and I would like some opinions on this please.

Ofcourse you can go to a party as long as you are doing nothing wrong.

In religion, everyone has an opinion so you have to follow your own gut feeling on certain things...like this matter!

Mabrook 3alaikom elshahar =)

Ramadan Kareem !
I personally don't find any difficulties in fasting..(maybe coz I don't eat in the first place :P ) It brings calmness + composure to everyone :love:

So far nobody has mentioned the fun part of Ramadan which can be enjoyed by everybody regardless of religion, if any.

What you have to do during Ramadan, is get yourself invited to Iftars. This is the after-sunset and therefore after-fasting meal, and they can range from very simple dinners to huge banquets that go on till dawn!

Play your cards right and you can spend the entire month of Ramadan going to a party every night, making lots of new friends, eating yourself silly and gaining 20 pounds...

Ramzan Mubarak!

Oh yes, I love the Iftars. In fact I tutored several Muslim students in my home country and after Iftar they would bring me delicious food for the evening, which culminated in a huuuge spread on a platter sent over at Eid which had to be carried by two people!

^^^ LOL yes in my hood too, it is all a build-up to the big Eid blowout.

People here now coordinate Iftars, a few years ago, it was sort of de facto street procession, with people going house to house, like Posadas, a fun Christian custom that deserves its own thread, and I bet will get one in December!

Shimma, you made me remember all the mouthwatering foods and dessert. There was a particular version of creme brulee made with treacle and cashews that still makes me salivate when I remember it, and lots of small confections made of dates and semolina, not to mention the wonderful pilaf.

No fair. I'm hungry now!

The Iftar we stopped by last night was one of the sweetest events I have ever been to. The host family is from Yemen, but because there are people from all over in our neighborhood, including lots from Mexico and the Greater Metro Meso-American Subcontinent, and last night was also the Grito, a lot of the food were Mexican dishes, but with a Middle Eastern flair! And modified to comply with dietary laws where needed, the most spectacular example of this was a dish you would swear was cochinitas piviles - but made with chicken!

Our hostess whispered to me that according to her cultural traditions, it is believed that extra spiritual benefits are obtained if you share your Iftar with people of other faiths.

One of our neighbors had his grandmother visiting, this old, old lady from Michoacan, braids and traditional dress and everything, and she was amazed by the hurs, and demanded to be shown how to make these "Turkish tortillas," when we left, the kitchen was at capacity with people making hurs and tortillas and arguing about just who Inspired whom, and in which milennium, and yes, merika, the naan contingent was most loudly represented and representing ("and these are the Hindu tortillas!" exclaimed the delighted old grandmother) and outside, in the yard and spilling onto the street, kids from probably two dozen countries and probably almost as many faith traditions were yelling "Viva Mexico"