Rain vs. Hermes bags

Well, i was below 5th avenue today, more specifically I was at the Apple Store 5th Ave NYC.

For those of you familiar, I take the elevator up to get out of the store, and I am face to face with the door which leads to the outside where there is big downpour.

- - -- > quickly back down the elevator, where I dressed my birkin 40 in her raincoat, and because it is a size 40 I had a good-sized umbrella in there (along with the kitchen sink, for you gals who have lifted my bag).

Anyway, returned to the hotel dry and happy!
Go RainKits !!

Togo is not rain averse.
I have traveled 10 blocks in pouring rain, and stopped off to a coffee house to grab some napkins and dab.
No problem whatsoever!
She actually got a nice looking bath.
Just as long as you wipe it off within a reasonable time period.
:yes: Remember Asa's Togo soaked with water?

I carry my Fjord Hac a few times in rains. The water actually dropped on the leather. As soon as I got into the car, I just wiped the water with napkin and the bag is fine. But of course this is Fjord. I got a few drops of rain on my Togo too a few times, I did the same thing and never change the leather. They are perfect.

Pbc..sorry about the Ostrich..I think I will upset me too especially if you didn't expect this will happen to the ostrich. I hope H butique can take care of the stain!

You know, I was thinking why some of the leathers that Hermes uses are not as hardy as Togo or Clemence in the rain. I think (well, it's a guess, I haven't heard anyone confirm it) it's because they want to preserve the characteristics of the leather. A carebook from another high-end designer said that the leather that they used for a specific product did not use any type of waterproofing of any kind to preserve the suppleness inherent for that specific type of leather. So maybe it's the same with Box, Barenia, Ostrich, etc. Just a guess.

I have only purchased leathers that are tolerant of rain--I live in a place where we can get lots of snow, and I don't tend to baby my bags.

I own clemence, togo, fjord and chevre. My clemence is the only one that has not yet been caught in the rain. The other three have gotten quite wet and came out just fine. In fact, my togo wallet was soaked in beer and still looks great!

pbc what did your ostrich stain look like? i just made a new thread b/c my fuschia ostrich bearn keychain got soaked in just a little tiny bit of rain even under the umbrella...then it dried...and there is only one mark on it but i am not sure that's even from water...it is a little dark line from one spot to another. i posted pics...the rest of the ostrich skin seems fine...maybe softer a little.

PBC I'm also surprised about your ostrich as I've had good luck and no problems myself - although not carrying in a pouring rain...Orchids I wondered about Fjord in rain as I got mine wet and actually thought it darkened for a bit - nothing noticeable now but it didn't seem to react the same as clemence, togo and chevre....

My bags have been fine with rain - especially the chevre ones. I have even had the chamonix out in a ashower - wiped it and it was fine. Boxcalf I would be far more cautious about, though.

I have a question about Box leather...if your bag does unfortunately get caught in the rain, will wiping the drops off immediately prevent blistering? And if, heaven forbid, blisters occur, can Hermes repair the bag?

I'm obsessively planning my first Hermes bag purchase, and I really want Box, but do live in an area notorious for unexpected rainstorms!

You know, I was thinking why some of the leathers that Hermes uses are not as hardy as Togo or Clemence in the rain. I think (well, it's a guess, I haven't heard anyone confirm it) it's because they want to preserve the characteristics of the leather. A carebook from another high-end designer said that the leather that they used for a specific product did not use any type of waterproofing of any kind to preserve the suppleness inherent for that specific type of leather. So maybe it's the same with Box, Barenia, Ostrich, etc. Just a guess.

Interesting theory, I would think they want to preserve the very expensive bag for the owner using it in normal conditions!