Rain vs. Hermes bags

My Togo and Clemence bags are my "rain" bags......nothing happens to those babies!!!! (And coffee fell all over my black Clemence Birkin the other day....almost had a cardiac.....)

This is a great question. I wondered about the same thing the other day.

As Archangel pointed out, I think cost is a factor. I also think of 2 other explanations:
1. they are just being French. Hahaha.
2. Leather care is another revenue stream for H. People don't mind paying several hundred dollars (not sure exactly how much it costs?) to get their kellys or birkins cleaned every so often.

I am cursed when I buy a new bag, that it rains the first day I decide to carry it. This of course, applied to when I bought my Massai. The next day, BF and I went to Yardhouse Brewery for beer with friends. What happens? It's pouring. I was on the verge of insanity, thinking that I would have to walk around with a tarp over the Massai, but the few raindrops on the leather simply wiped off with a napkin :nuts: It held up very well! Still, I wouldn't voluntarily go out in a hurricane with it :P

yea i am so confused about ostrich. after i had the water stain, i asked pazt about her ostrich. she mentioned a friend of ours, who has a vert anis ostrich, spilled coffee and tea on hers and it was fine! i asked my SA about it and he said "water WILL STAIN ostrich (and croc too!)!!" he's suppose to call up the leather expert at BH to find out for me. i just don't get it!!!! it's so painful to look at my bag sometimes....the stain is kinda shiny now too! i tried "scraping" it gently with my fingernail and it seemed to lighten the stain a lil'. not sure if it was my imagination though. boohoooo

Wonder if it largely depends on the color of the bag, and maybe how deeply the dye penetrates the skin? The "penetration" aspect is why certain colors look so very different in certain leathers; for instance, ostrich in vert anis is much more subtle than togo in vert anis. Maybe the absorbency of the skin combined with the amount of colorant in the dye itself (certain dyes, whether lighter colors or darker, have a lot more pigment in them than others) has something to do with the ultimate rain-proof-ness of the finished bag?

Cynthia...I thought about that after my post... All bags I have carried in the rain were rather dark in color (e.g. black, ebene)...

Hlfinn had issues w/ the rouge H side of an H belt (lol...normal wear, not as raincoat)... Wonder if some colors are better in the rain than others???

Whatever you do, dont subject you bags to this...:wacko:
my Evelyne still wont forgive me.

She is demanding a new scarf.

attachment.php

I watch the weather forecast obsessively, and when I dare to take a chance, I have a garbage bag liner from my work (very thin, translucent, good-sized) stuffed in the bottom of my bag and if I need to, I whip it out and completely encase the bag in it. Needless to say, I try to avoid this rather undignified situation.
I can't deal with the raincoats...

I watch the weather forecast obsessively, and when I dare to take a chance, I have a garbage bag liner from my work (very thin, translucent, good-sized) stuffed in the bottom of my bag and if I need to, I whip it out and completely encase the bag in it. Needless to say, I try to avoid this rather undignified situation.
I can't deal with the raincoats...

LOL! I too watch the weather forecast obsessively.

Good to know about Clemence in the rain. I am so afraid of my birkin that i hardly carry it at all. I am so scared of the rain or my coffee spilling in it. I have to get over that.

PBC-I am so sorry to hear about your bag! Sending you good bag vibes.

I know this is going to give people palpitations and fainting fits, but I live in a part of the country prone to unexpected, torrential downpours. About 3 weeks ago I tripped and my (light colored) natural sable clemence Massai landed in a mud puddle. It was soaked and covered in mud, so I had the little darling under the tap rinsing the mud off. The water changed the bag's tan/yellow color to a funky gray/blue until the water dried, but it was as good as new once it dried.

I wouldn't recommend anyone take my course of action, but it was nice to discover how truly forgiving clemence leather really is.